1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding Problems

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 8chaos, Feb 21, 2007.

1. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

To start off, I am trying to take a DVD movie and convert it to a playable file on my harddrive.

I started out by using DVDShrink to get the VOB and IFO files. Then I used AutoGK with my IFO file to convert it to an AVI file. Problem is that there is no sound. With AutoGK, my file had 6ch audio enabled. What did I do wrong?. Do I need to use a different input file format? If so, what programs are best? I know how to make an iso, vob and ifo files with DVDShrink.

Please forgive me if there are other threads/guides already out, just point me in the right direction. Everyone I see here wants to do the exact opposite I am trying to do! Plus there is soooo much info floating around I don't know what to take in. (I'm new to converting/encoding/burning)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I'd suggest using something else to rip. Try RipIt4Me.

3. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

How does that program work?

Does Ripit4ME convert IFO files, or can that program directly take a DVD and convert it to a AVI, MPEG or other media format?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

All it does is rip. Doesn't do any encoding. You still need AutoGK.

5. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

What am I doing wrong with the audio side of it? I just did it again following an AutoGK guide, but it has no sound. Should I do something different?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  6. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Do you have the proper audio decoder for the file? All it really might be is that you don't have an audio file while creating it. Try finding out the audio streams codec name and find a decoder for it. If all else fails, go to ffdshow :D

7. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Just downloaded FFDShow and DVDFab Decrypter. I used DVDFab instead of DVDshrink to get the VOB files. Worked wonders with AutoGk. I now have a playable xvid movie on my hard drive! Audio is great too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  8. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Oh yeah, is there another program that does the same thing as AutoGk but faster. It took me 7 hours with my computer...I'm using my laptop but still.

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Different app with the same encoder (Xvid or DivX) means that you only get faster encoding at the expense of quality. Not sure what AVISynth filters AutoGK runs though. Could maybe be some speed gained there.

10. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

As long as you have enough hard drive space you can probably improve your encoding speed significantly by using MeGUI. MeGUI has an option called 'Add pre-rendering job' that adds an additional pass that encodes to HuffYUV (lossless) with your selected AviSynth filters. That produces a huge video file, but takes much less time than a single pass with an MPEG-4 encoder. After that, the new HuffYUV file is used as the source video, and the AviSynth filters don't have to be used again so they don't slow down your encoding.

When MeGUI gets out of Beta I plan to do some guides for it. I use it to encode XVID for playback on my HTPC.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007