1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding Programs other than tmpgenc?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Steven901, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Steven901

Steven901 Member

Can somebody list more programs other than tmpgenc....I encoded a video with tmpgenc, but did'nt work so well, so I wanna try another program, to see if it's the file that is corrupt or if it's something I did wrong in tmpgenc

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well there isn"t much you can do to see if the File is Corrupt accept by Possibly running the File through Virtual-Dubs "Scan Video Stream for errors" feature...To do this download this:
    Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

The Run the Program and Load your File into it and then go to "Video" to "Scan Video Stream for Errors" and then wait untill it is Finnished and see what it says...You should be Useing Virtual-Dub to decompress the audio in your AVI files before encodeing with Tmpgenc or any encoder for that Matter because Most encoders do not like the Compressed audio in AVI files and if the audio isn"t decompressed you Might end up with no audio in your Mpeg files after encodeing....
    As for other encoders you can use ,there aren"t many out there that are worth useing, There are only 4 encoders I would recomend to any one that will Produce acceptable Quality, Becides Tmpgenc I would recomend the "MainConcept encoder" as it Produces very good Quality and is about 3 times faster than Tmpgenc ,The next encoder is a Little to expensive for most ,it is called "Canopus Procoder" it is about as fast as Tmpgenc but it produces extremely High Quality Mpeg1/2 files and supports most every Format But it sells for about $700, And the Last encoder which is the One I usually use is "CinemaCraft Encoder SP 2.67" which is arguably the Best quality Mpeg2 encoder available but is not recomended for Mpeg1 encodeing, It is Probably the Fastest encoder there is also as I have encoded 2 hour AVI movies to Mpeg2 in 20 minutes ,But it is Mostly for very advanced users because you have to know how to Frameserve with AVIsynth to use it Properly ,and CinemaCraft retails for about $2000 US....
    Why don"t you post the Problems you are Haveing with Tmpgenc and Maybe we can help?? Cheers

3. Steven901

Steven901 Member

I posted my problem with tmpgenc in another thread this is copied and pasted ....

"I don't know what I did wrong, but I tryed encoding an avi into an mpeg, the first time I tryed, it kept on saying "Invalid Pointer Operation" , I got around this problem by putting "Directshow Multimedia File Reader" under +1 priority...It encoded fine, but now when I'm trying to burn it with nero, it doesnt actually burn, but instead says that its encoding it with nero????

This file is an mpeg not an avi...Did I do something wrong while encoding it with tmpgenc? "

4. Steven901

Steven901 Member

Oh, also....I ran the file through virtualdub to see if there were any files, but it said their werent

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well when you Loaded the Mpeg file you made into Nero and it said it was going to re-encode the File before it would Burn it then it would also tell you why it was going to have to re-encode the File..It will say that the Resolution is Wrong or that the Audio Sample rate is Wrong or that the Stream was not encoded for (Super) Video CD or something....

6. Steven901

Steven901 Member

Nope, It doesn't say anything like that

It just goes to the burning process (with the 2 bars, that track the amount complete) and at the bottom it says encoding file, thats it

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Before that it is supposed to give you a message saying that it is going to have to encode the File for "XXX" Reason, and then it should give you the option to Burn it anyways or to procede to encodeing it, well this is what it should do when you Load in a Mpeg file.....
    How about trying a different encoder?? There is even a experimental Mpeg encoder Plugin available for Virtual-Dub that is freeware and when it works it produces pretty good quality, but you would be better off with something easier and more reliable like Mainconcept Encoder....well Good luck

8. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

First of all, what kind of disc are you trying to burn? VCD, SVCD, or DVD? Second, what settings did you use in TMPGEnc such as resolution, bitrate mpeg-2 or mpeg-1? You probably selected an incorrect disc format in Nero for the kind of file you created with TMPGEnc.

9. Steven901

Steven901 Member

I just let nero encode it and burn it

AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED

Nero encodning sucks...But it actually worked!
    I can't believe it worked ,it has never worked for me before
    Thanks for all your help guys!

10. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

honestech mpeg encoder v6.0 kicks the arse of tmpg and costs 49.99 dollers you can buy online and it has 15 days trial so you can test it before you buy it.it will also encode divx xvid ac3 all straight of with no decompressin or any other bull ,just open the file you want to encode and click start as simple as that.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have been Testing the Honestech Encoder 6 for the Last 2 day and It isn"t Much Different than there other Totally Crappy encoders..This must be One of the Worst encoders out there and it is EXTREMELY SLOW...Right now on High Quality Mode it is Going to take 30 minutes to encode 2 Minutes of Video to Mpeg2/dvd so that is Like 2 Frames a Second on a 2.8ghz System...And there aren"t very many settings that you can adjust, setting that need to be there to Properly encode the file, Like you can"t choose Scanning Pattern or Gop structure ,hell you can"t even choose the Resolution unless it is SVCD or DVD..I"m not a Huge Fan of Tmpgenc but I can tell you on a Profecinal Level that the Honestech encoder 6 isn"t worth the Disk space it takes up on my hard drive and Like ALL of the other Honestech Products are Total Crap, ....Cheers