1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding Right AVI resolution

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Melanizm, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Melanizm

Melanizm Member

Hello All,
    I am somewhat a novice in terms of encoding avi files. Here is what I need help with....I've obtained a number of .FLV which I have converted to AVI (Divx 4:3 320x240). I used the resolution of 320x240. When I burn these AVIs to a dvd and play them via my DVD player (it plays Divx files), the viewing area is too wide for the television. When text is shown the letters run off of the edge of the screen on both sides. I do not have a plasma or LCD television, its an old 36 inch (I believe) tube television. I've had no problems viewing other AVI's with the same resolution...they fit within the confines of the screen. I've even re-encoded using a smaller resolution, no luck. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's a simple fix. Help please.

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Most CRT TV's (tube driven) will overscan the picture slightly, so this means a little bit of the video is outside the display area.

The only solution I can think of for this would be to add in some black borders. If you are unsure how to do this, just let me know which encoding application you are using and I will be more than happy to help. :-D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  3. Melanizm

Melanizm Member

Thanks so much for your response and knowledge. I was using Dr.Divx and another called Total Video Converter, but I suppose they arent highly recommended on here. If you suggest an application to use, I can easily obtain it. How about you suggest to me what application (s) would be best suited for what I am trying to accomplish. Also, I would prefer an app that does batch converting opposed to single file. Thank you SO Much!!!!

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress comes to mind. This application can accept FLV files, does batch encoding and can also add the borders in as I suggested.

Get it here... TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. Melanizm

Melanizm Member

Thank you SOOOO much. I'll give it a shot and let u know how it turns out for me. Thanks again for all of your help!