1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding speed

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by wyvar, Aug 29, 2004.

1. wyvar

wyvar Guest

I recently upgraded my PC from an AMD 2000+ CPU w/ 768 MB ram to an Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz CPU w Hyperthreading and 1 GB of ram. The problem I am having is before when I would encode with the AMD setup, it would encode at about 30 Frames per sec and the CPU usage was maxed out at 100% when doing so.

Now, when I am encoding with the faster system, it still encodes at 30 FPS (same as the older system), but the CPU usage ranges only from about 50% to 70% and doesn't max out at 100% like the AMD did.

(I am using Dr.Divx with Divx ver 5.2 to do the encoding.)

It should be encoding faster and I've looked through different options under Dr. Divx to speed up the encoding but there doesn't seem to be any options to select or reasons why it isn't encoding any faster (or why the CPU isn't encoding at 100%).

According to tomshardware.com, this new system should be encoding significantly faster than the older PC. Does anybody know how to speed up the encoding? Thanks!

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2004
  3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Excellent shiroh! :)
    Useful info.

4. wyvar

wyvar Guest

yes, thanks for the link. The info is helpful especially to see that I'm not the only one who is experiencing this problem.