1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding Speed...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Matt84, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Matt84

Matt84 Member

Well, I have a 8x DVD Writer Drive and I'm using 8x blank DVDs, and its taking 41 min. to complete the whole burning process. It seems like it only takes about 12 minutes to write and about 30 min. to encode. Is there anything I can do?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey matt84,Are you using shrink's quality enhancements such as deep analysis,backup in low priority mode,and slow encode? I also depends on how big the movie is.Are you backing up the whole dvd or just the main title? later

3. Matt84

Matt84 Member

I'm backing up the whole movie and I'm not using any enhancement features.

4. edgex

edgex Member

I would sugguest that your check your IDE controllers are set properly. You should have them set to run DMA.

You will need to go into control panel, to system,device manager. go to IDE controllers go to primary controllers, properties, verify that they are set to DMA not in PIO mode. Check your primary and secondary controllers. Make sure that they are both set to DMA or ultra DMA. If they are not set to DMA, simply uninstall the DVD and then reinstall it. windows XP will then reset the IDE controllers to DMA mode. That should help. Keep in mind though that the faster you burn the chances of a poor burn increase..
    let me know how it works for you

5. Matt84

Matt84 Member

They are all set to DMA. Thanks though.

6. BroncoMan

BroncoMan Member

it takes me about that to encode, but burning at 8x should only take 8 mins. Check that you have a good aspi layer installed. I also found dvd decryptor burned faster than nero or a few other progs i tried burning with. That should save you 4 minutes ; )

7. edgex

edgex Member

Hi Matt,
    ok, lets do some time examples. Is shrink set with deep analysis as a preference? I know that when I'm encoding a REauthored back up it takes about 8-10 minutes. If there is compression it takes about 12-18 minutes depending on the size. I use deep analysis which doubles the time. I then burn at 2x so for me a time of 41 minutes is pretty good, but my slow burn speed increases the time. I'm wondering if your time of 41 minutes is'nt about right. For giggles, try re authoring the movie so you get no compression and rip just the movie non of the other junk and see it that doesn't drop your time down. Naturally your PC should have nothing else running...luck

8. Matt84

Matt84 Member

Actually I just realized that I have the "Run analysis in low priority mode to improve multi-tasking." Could this be slowing it down?

9. edgex

edgex Member

I doubt it, if you are leavung your PC alone while it's burning, it won't matter. I'm still thinking that 41 seconds is about right for a completed back up VS a stripped back up

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey matt84, you can knock off a few minutes unchecking the run backup in low priority mode.I am not sure of the quality, I just messed around a little bit and it knocked off 4 minutes on a 1hr 52 min "main movie" only. I always leave mine checked.

11. CJC

CJC Regular member

Matt84:

What are your computer specifications ?
    Eg CPU, RAM, HDD Space....

CJC

12. Matt84

Matt84 Member

CPU: 2.80 GHz
    RAM: 512 MB
    37 GB Capacity and 21 GB Free

13. CJC

CJC Regular member

That should be pretty good.

Should encode in about 15 mins then about 10 mins to burn.

Seems like it could be in PIO mode.

Are you sure its in DMA or just DMA if Available.

Double check and see if it has Current Transfer Mode for both Primary and Secondary Channel as DMA xx

(Refer to post by edgex for instructions of getting into them)

CJC

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey matt, you said it was in dma mode. I read a forum the other day when some thought they were in dma mode, but it would change back and forth. I think Nepth told him to go to ide disable primary dma,reboot, and do the same to secondary ide. Neph told this to somebody who took about 4 to 6 hrs on a large pcu. Something to think about.I average 40 min to 60 min using all the quality enhancements.20 to 30 mins without. Later

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Actually what you want is to uninstall the drive through Device Manager in order to get the drive back into DMA :)

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  16. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

Im guessin its a duron or a celeron with those times for encoding, its not gunna get much faster, only a few minutes if that.

17. CJC

CJC Regular member

Thats actually not true.

One of my spare Intel Celeron 1.2GHz computers will encode a DVD in 15 minutes, so it should be quicker.

CJC