1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding the already encoded

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Chela, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Chela

Chela Member

Nero reencodes to burn my movies and I already encode my movies in Virtual Dub. I'm trying to keep my pocket pc encoded movie small enough to put on a disk. How can I just burn the dvd with my cd burner without Nero encoding it again? Or is there a better way?

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

burn the dvd? with my cd burner??? You are going to have to help us out and let us in on the processes that you are trying to do.
    What format are you starting with and what are you trying to end up with?

If you are trying to burn dvd (+/-r) with a cd burner, I can say that it won't happen.

3. Chela

Chela Member

Yeah, I just burned a dvd with the cdr. You can do that in Nero.
    I just tried setting the encoding down to 180 rather than making it fit to disk and I have half of one movie burned to a cd now. If I had a dvd burner I could fit the whole movie on one disc, but I don't.
    LOL, this is the poor man's DVD method. I solved this problem while waiting for a response.
    8^)

4. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

you burned a dvd movie onto a cd-r by reencoding with nero. It is difficult to figure out what you wanted to do as this is a dvd-r forum for newbies.
    You want the svcd/vcd forum--http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/40

5. Chela

Chela Member

I *am* a newbie! I haven't been messing with this for very long and the more I fool with this the less I realize that I know.

8^)
    thanks for the link, I'll rtfm.

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

I have to agree with yuedana, as it is very hard to figure out from your post what you are trying to do.

First of all, it sounds like you are not trying to make a DVD at all...you seem to be just trying to burn existing movie files (MPEG? AVI?) onto a blank disc in order to store them, not in order to play them on a standalone DVD player.

Since you are talking about blank DVDs, I will assume that you have a DVD burner rather than just a CDRW drive (a basic CDRW drive will definitely not burn data onto blank DVDs).

What it boils down to, however, is that if you already have the files set up perfectly to play on yor pocket PC, and you just want to make archive copies on a blank disc (whether CDR or DVD-R) you have to select DATA disc when setting up NERO.

Just use the Nero Wizard, select DATA disc, add your files to the compilation, and burn away. Nero would only try to re-encode if you selected another format like VCD or DVD, as these formats require very specific file types.

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

This does not belong in here !!!
    yuedana got it right when saying that VCD/SVCD Forum is the one you want.

P.S. Yuriv - Nero Wizard ? I take it you're not yet using Nero 6 ; )

8. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Guess I should get around to updating my NERO...its just that I don't really use it anymore since switching to RecordNow....