1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding to Mpg

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Nanaki, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Nanaki

Nanaki Member

hi ppl, im quite new to this stuff so don't laugh if i have no idea what im talking about. just recently i got dvd burner since my last one go mangled pretty bad after like 2 weeks. while i had my last dvd burner i havn't had the chance to burn some of my media to blanks, so here i am trying to figure out the best way to do it. i have some 170-180mb Avi's i want to burn to a dvd disk. i read some tutorials of this site and found out TMPGenc is rather good for encoding those AVI's to MPG, anyways i did try it and liked it alot but the thing is i don't know much about encoding and when i encode these avi files they turn out to like 2GB's when they MPG so i was wondering if there was a way to make it around 600-700Mb per file without making the quality lag balls. so can some1 help me out?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

thats life i'm afraid avi grow bigger, you may be able to play arounf abit but only for a few meg and nothing close to what you want at 700meg

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nero Vision Express will shrink them down for you. :)

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

BBmayo will it shrink it to about 700meg and still be good to go? i'm not ofay with nero....

5. Nanaki

Nanaki Member

no. i know its possible because i did it once somehow by fluke. i encoded a FMA episode which was a 175 MB AVI and now it's a 759 MB MPG.

[​IMG]

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Rotary,
    It will shrink it quit a bit, but how good the quality is all depends on the original file. I have burned TV shows I recorded in DivX format and then converted to DVD format (4hours worth) and they came out pretty good. NEV can be set like the VCR in LP, EP, SP and so on. This really is just compressing the files to fit on one DVD. If his files arent that good to begin with though I would imagine the quality isn't going to be that good. Just have to give it a try.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  7. Nanaki

Nanaki Member

the quality to me is fine, i don't need PERFECT.

[​IMG]

8. Nanaki

Nanaki Member

Actually i think i just figured out how i did it. i used virtualdub, went into streams and demuxed the audio stream i wanted and converted it to Lame Mp3 using Winlame and then added the mp3 to the AVI using Vdub once again and went to save as Direct Stream copy. after that i opened up the avi with TMPGEnc and the size went down to 700MB rather than 2GB :) i don't really get how it all worked considering the audio file was pretty much the same..... maybe vdub configured the Video Mods without me knowing it or something :/ if anyone knows what it was then plz let me know. thx