1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding VCD's with TMPGEnc for 16x9 TV's

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dwillms, Feb 7, 2005.

1. dwillms

dwillms Member

Hello,

I have been using TMPGEnc to encode some 16x9 avi files so that I can burn them as VCD's. I know VCD's are locked into only 4x3 aspect ratio, but my question is about the "Video Arrange Method" in advanced settings, since I have a 16x9 TV.

There are 3 main settings, Full Screen/Full Screen(keep aspect ratio), and Full Screen(keep aspect ratio2). Now I'm sure if you keep full screen, it will shrink the 16x9 to 4x3, and the aspect ratio will look super-narrow on a regular TV. But since I watch my 4x3 programming in "Stretch Mode" on my TV anyways, will leaving my settings on Full Screen and shrinking the aspect ratio, and then re-stretching my aspect ratio on my TV, result in a regular-aspect ratio 16x9 image?

I know this question may seem a little complicated, but I hope some of you at least understand what I mean. Also, I know Full Screen(keep aspect ratio) will shrink the image to 4x3 with normal aspect ratio, but does anybody know what Full Screen(keep aspect ratio2) does? Thanks in advance,

-Dustin

2. dwillms

dwillms Member

bump

Anybody know anything about VCD's for 16x9 TV's?

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

What I would suggest you Try is Makeing a XVCD and use Mpeg-2 instead of Mpeg-1 and then you can set the Aspect Ratio to 16:9...These XVCD"s should Play on Most DVD Players...

Or you can Encode to 352x240 to Mpeg-2 at 16:9 with the audio at 48000hz but put the Files onto DVD and that way you Can Fit up to 4 Full Movies on a single DVD-R without all the Problems associated with the VCD Format...Pluss It is Cheaper to use DVD"s than CD-R"s and DVD Burners are allmost as cheap as CD Burners these days ($60).....

Cheers

4. dwillms

dwillms Member

Don't have a DVD burner as of yet, would like to get one, but I'm just going to use what I have for now.

In regards to XVCD, will my Pioneer DV-363 play them? I have yet to see any feedback as to this.

My videos are always about 60 minutes long, so what is the best way I can burn them (VCD, XVCD, SVCD) at 16:9 in the best quality?

-Dustin

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Way you Burn a File has no effect on the Quality...

If you were to encode this File to Mpeg-2 at 352+240 at 16:9 you would Burn it with Nero as a VCD and when it says it in Not VCD Compliant you Burn it anyways...

Just make sure you encode the File useing the standard VCD Bitrate (1150kbs) or your Player might have problems with it...Your DVD Player should be able to Play them because all DVD Players can play Mpeg-2 files.....

Cheers

6. dwillms

dwillms Member

Yes, sorry I meant encoding, my bad. I've been fiddling around a little bit with cutting a bit out of the video, I can get it to around 59 minutes, in which the bitrate calculator on this site is telling me, if I encode at around 1600 kb/s on an SVCD, I could fit on one disc.

Now, if I encoded this way, setting aspect ratio to 16:9, non-compliant SVCD, would it work in my player, or most players in general?

Thanks again for your help, sorry for my ignorance, I'm trying to learn as I go.

-Dustin

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well SVCD is Different than VCD..
    SVCD is Made from Mpeg-2 files so you can set the aspect ratio to 16:9 without a Problem but your DVD Player will have to Support SVCD because SVCD uses a Wierd Resolution...If your Player doesn"t support SVCD then makeing a VCD with Mpeg-2 would Still Work...

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Obviously, making a VCD encoding the input SVCD/MPEG-2 into a VCD/MPEG-1 output file (TMPGenc Plus)...

9. dwillms

dwillms Member

So what will be different encoding from a 16:9 Mpeg-2 file than encoding from a 16:9 AVI file?

Maybe I'm not understanding the process that either of you are explaining. I started trying to burn a SVCD in TMPGEnc, with motion search precision set to "Highest Quality" and bitrate around 1500 kb/s, but it said it would take 4 hours to encode. Does it normally take this long?

I encoded the file into an Mpeg-2 file with 352x240 resolution, at around 1500 kb/s, burned just to try, and didn't work in my player. Now, what one of you is saying is to first encode my 16:9 AVI into a 16:9 SVCD file, and then encode that into a VCD file. What does this "double-encode" do? I don't see how it would be any different?

Again, sorry for being new and not totally understanding this process. Here is my single question. What, if any, is the best way to get this 60 minute AVI onto a single CD-R, in 16:9 display, in the highest quality possible? Thanks,

-Dustin

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, AVI Files don"t have an aspect ratio flag in there header they are Displayed useing there resolution (On your PC) were Mpeg files have a aspect ratio flag in there header that tells your DVD Player what aspect ratio to display the Video in while Ignoreing the Resolution but it displays the same ammount of Pixels as the Resolution....

Media Player doesn"t read Aspect ratios so it allways displays the Video useing it"s resolution But a Software DVD Player will display the Image based on the Aspect ratio....

Take For instance the Half d1 DVD Standard which Has a Resolution of 352+480 which means the Frame is Taller than it is Wide which Looks awefull on your PC cuz the Image is stretched Tall and Squeezed in the Middle but when Played on your DVD Player or a software DVD Player Like PowerDVD it reads the Aspect ratio and resizes it so it is displayed in that aspect Ratio....

Why don"t you Tell me the Resolution of your Source File and the Resolution and aspect ratio you want to encode it to and I will tell you how to resize it to that resolution while keeping the correct aspect ratio.....

By the way How did you Burn the 352+240 mpeg-2 file to CD-R?? Did you Burn it as a VCD or as a SVCD because if your DVD Player suports SVCD also then it would be better to burn it in SVCD Mode....

Cheers

11. dwillms

dwillms Member

I burned the disc as a data disc, because when I ran Nero Startsmart, it said it would have to re-encode the video b/c it was neither a standard VCD nor a standard SVCD. So that I'm sure had something to do with it not working...

So, looking up my DVD player shows it plays SVCD's. Using VideoCalc, a 1 hr. movie should be set about 1589 kb/s. If I take TMPGEnc, use it to encode my videos to SVCD Mpeg-2 files at that bitrate, set my flag for 16:9 display, set my video arrange method to "full screen (keep aspect ratio)", this should give me the desired result of my full 1 hr video displayed in 16:9 aspect ratio?

Finally, when encoding for SVCD, should I still set the motion search precision to "Highest Quality(very slow)", as I have done for my previous VCD's? Because the first time I tried this, it said encoding should take approx. 4 hrs, which seems WAY too long.

Can't say thanks enough for the help,

-Dustin

12. dwillms

dwillms Member

Tried overburning the disc, didn't work, found out I would have to update the firmware on my burner anyways.

I downloaded CDR Identifier. How can I use it to see the actual capacity I can fit on a disc? Every disc I've tried so far reads nominal capacity as 702 MB. The ATIP reads 97m 25s 35f, and I don't know if this is just a random code, or if it does stand for 97 minutes, 25 seconds. Any help?

-Dustin