1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Cassius2, May 2, 2007.

1. Cassius2

Cassius2 Member

Hi,

When I have a DVD which I would like to put on my hard disk I normally use dvd shrink by using the backup function. Instead of this procedure, can i simply copy and paste the video_ts folder onto a folder on the hard disk?

Thank you for any feedback.

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

is this a store bought dvd or a dvd you already backed up?

i never tryed copy and pasting a movie file i don't think that will work. but you can read it to your HD with many tools dvd shrink , dvd decrypter (ISO read) or use clonedvd 2 or using the ripper in anydvd

3. Cassius2

Cassius2 Member

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Actually i am talking about a dvd which has already being skrinked. Basically, as i already said since now i have always used the dvd shrink to perform this action, but i heard someone mentioning the copy/paste, and i thought maybe it can be faster.

Thank you

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

as far as being faster not sure but you can do that with a backup since the backup wont have any copy protection,
    although dvd decrypter should only take around 5-6mins to rip to the HDD
    and i dont think copy & paste would be faster

5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yes dvd decrypter is the easiest way to transfer the file to your HD (ISO read) and your set

6. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Cassius2

Simple answer is yes - just copy paste the video_ts folder from your backup DVD to your hard disk. This is the method I use for my notebook computer - I travel international a lot, in airline economy class, and bring my own movies for entertainment. So I'm always copying/deleting video_ts folders on my laptop hard drive. The copy speed is dependent on how fast you can read from the DVD writer and write to the hard drive.

I have no idea why you'd want to use Shrink or Decrypter or any other ripping programs. Logically, that should take longer than copy/paste because you have the overhead of a program taking time to process video files.

7. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Cassius2

Grampaw is correct, the copy/paste option will do just fine, but keep in mind that the video files are still copy protected, which means that you'll be able to watch the movie on your PC, but you won't be able to burn the files to a DVD disk unless you use a decrypter (like...AnyDVD) or software with one as part of it (like...DVD-Cloner IV) to remove the copy protection.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Grampaw
    You may want to listen to what Bowler has to say. Have you timed DVD Decrypter against copy and paste? Any time I've done it Decrypter comes out ahead. Plus Decrypter being specifically for ripping all you need do is open it to access the drives and you can use Decrypter to create a folder to send your files to instead of having to enter the drive to create the folder.

For those wanting to do a comparison, when you go to the drive with the DVD in My Computer you need to open the DVD and copy the Video_TS folder and then come out and paste that to the drive wherever you want to place it. That's the way it works on my PC, if you can do it from the top, it will save a couple of seconds. ;) You can create a folder on the HDD or just paste to the drive and put the Video_TS in a folder later. I don't know about other systems, but you can't paste from one optical drive to another on mine. If you want to make copies with free software, use ImgBurn.