1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encryption Detected

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by mate777, Apr 25, 2003.

1. phuocle

phuocle Member

People are giving you bad advice... ASPI layer has nothing to do with it!!!

I had this problem before with the DVD In the Bedroom, Region 1 NTSC. This was AFTER successfully backing up 150+ DVD's at the time without this Encryption Detected issue I've read so much about. And after 200+ backups now, that was still the ONLY time I've seen that.

Here's my thought: 1. It could be that DVD2One is detecting the encrypted content flag, but it shouldn't (not like) or 2. (and this is what happened to me) For some reason, DVD Decrypter and SmartRipper couldn't successfully rip the DVD.

Here's how to test for it: After ripping the DVD, load the ripped VOB's into your software DVD player and try to play it (not the original DVD!!! - of course that will play!!!). If everything seems normal, then you [bold]should not[/bold] have any Encryption Detected issue. After all, if it got to your hard drive and you can play it from there, it's not encrypted anymore.

In my case, I ripped In the Bedroom about 3 times with DVD Decrypter in IFO and File mode, no luck. 2 times in SmartRipper in File and Movie mode, no luck. What happened to me when I tried to play back the ripped VOB's from the hard drive is that the picture came up all green and had a few color pixel blocks here and there. On top of that, the sound keeps dropping in and out... for your info, my DVD was virgin, no scratches, played fine in the Sony player or through PowerDVD.

[bold]HOW I SOLVE IT:[/bold] I don't know why, but someone suggested using SmartRipperin [bold]BACKUP[/bold] mode. Lo and behold, I did and it worked. Test played it from the ripped VOB's and it was fine. Transcoded it with DVD2One, no Encryption Detected error. Burned and played back on my Sony play, no problems.

Now, Lightnin UK! (the author of DVD Decryptor) claims that SmartRipper's backup mode is not special. I don't know why, but it worked for me and solved my problems. DVD Decrypter is still my favorite ripper though; I'd only use SmartRipper if I have problems and so far that's the only one.

I hope this helps you solve yours. Good luck.

2. grobemaus

grobemaus Member

I think I may know why. I also had a problem with 'In the Bedroom'. I used DVD Decrypter in file mode to rip the dvd. But then when I tried dvd2one I would get the message encrypted data blah blah blah. Anyway I realized the green screen effect and tried to use smartripper on the files. This seemed to work, but when I went to play the movie crap! Well I noticed that not all of the files were encrypted, like every other vob or something. But on the encrypted ones the KEY was missing. Well I changed smartripper to check the key for every vob, and
    then voila! The key appeared. There is no setting for this in Decrypter that I could find, also it won't work on files already on the hard drive. After ripping in backup mode I loaded dvd2one and let it go. Now I have my backup. Note: There seems to be another angle that smartripper didn't like, but dvd2one fixed it.

3. grobemaus

grobemaus Member

Also I forgot to mention I did deselect demacrovision in smartripper.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I thought that Smartripper checked for key if needed automatically (I dont remember turning it on...but yes it does need to be ticked)

Good call [bold]grobemaus [/bold] , I hadn't even thought to mention about that.

: )

5. imcville

imcville Member

I've found that when using Smartripper, "Backup" is by far the least problematic mode. Think about it - what you're doing in that mode is taking a complete copy of the whole DVD, decrypting it and placing it on your HDD. Much easier than stripping things out at the ripping stage (in my opinion anyway).

However, I have experienced this type of "encrypted data" problem too :-

Using Smartripper in Backup mode, I tried to backup Disc one of "LOTR:Fellowship (Extended version)" to my HDD. What would happen was that when it got almost to the end of the rip - it would display a message asking if I wanted to cancel the rip. Whether I selected Yes or No made no difference - DVD2One would always encounter encrypted data at around the 99% complete mark.

After much tinkering and little success, I reset everything back to the way I did it the first time, but also installed an ASPI layer. The problem vanished and I've had no problems since, on any disc.

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  6. herbsman

I've done LOTR - Ext. Version [PAL R2]
    Smartripper had no problem my end , in FILE mode.
    If you ever have problems with quit yes/no at 99% again , use DVD Decrypter [tick ignore read errors]...Bob's your Uncle & Fanny's your Aunt !: )

ASPI Layer is not needed for most people.
    (thats usually a suggestion when not knowing what the problem is, I have an ASPI layer within Nero 5.5.10.20 and even though Smartripper doesn't see that ASPI layer it doesn't stop Smartripper or anything else from not working).

7. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

I just encountered this problem for the first time after approm. 400 dvds. I've been fighting with 'Resident Evil' and it rips fine until I get to 91%, the 5th vob and only 1 1/2 minutes to go, smart ripper stops and keeps searching for the key and then finally asks me if I want to stop. With dvd2one, it does it's thing until it hits this spot and stops at 91%.
    Says that it can't decrypt. I will try some of your methods and hopefully it'll work.

8. herbsman

[bold]Elayne [/bold] I've done a back up of Resident Evil PAL R2 using Smartripper then DVD2One myself..no problems
    I hate to say it , but have you tried cleaning the DVD at all (dont mean to patronize) ?

9. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Yes, I've cleaned it so many times, it isn't funny. There are no scratches or fingerprints, this baby is clean. I have tried ripping this dvd about 5 times already and always the same thing.

10. herbsman

In that case I totally recommend the Decrypter method above : )-

11. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Thank you very much, especially for such a rapid reply. I never had any luck with dvd decrypter, but I'll give it a try. Thanks again.