1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of movie is choppy and freezes.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Gambleone, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Gambleone

Gambleone Member

I use dvd shrink and sometimes the movie i copy is choppy in the last 5 mins or so then freezes.
    [bold]Kinda sux
    p.s the disc isnt full its whatever dvd shrink makes them when u make a backup not re authoring.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

the disc will be full if you use the defult setting that DVD Shrink is when you install. its set at 4.7 gigs DVD5. You can change the prefrences by clicking edit then go down to prefrencesin the prefrence window will apear. Click on the pull dowm menu and click ob custom and type in 4430. Thats the settings I think most use when making a copy. It makes the copy stop before it gets to the edges of the DVD. So try resting the prefrence and backup with the new setting of 4430 see if that helps.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

If the 4460 mbs doesn't help, try setting to 4300 mbs. I don't know what media or how fast you are burning,but uneven dye on your discs sound like the likely culprit. I keep all of my backups at 4300 mbs regardless of full movie or main movie only.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I keep all of my backups to 4,300MB as well :)

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

that is what I ment to type but pressed to many 4's 4300 is what I copy at as well 4430 was a typo.

6. akira007

akira007 Member

What other settings do some of you suggest enabling in the preferences?

7. sakmd

sakmd Member

which media are you using? that could be the problem. as others have said above, change your target size. when i first started burning, i had similar issues on two of my first 5 burns. i've been using sony 4x dvd-r. after some reading through the forums, i changed my target size to 4360. and lowered my write speed to 2.4x just to be on the safe side. after these changes, i haven't had a coaster in 112 burns since.

8. Arrow54

Arrow54 Member

How do you lower the write speed?

9. Nephilim

How to lower the write speed depends on what software you're using. And you're using what software?

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

depends on what you use to burn the DVD with. If your using DVD Shrink to burn with nero or decryptor, you should bebale to set the speeds in that program. If its Nero do a speed test then go into Nero and change the speed of the burn. DVD Decrypter has a pull down menu to change the speed.

11. Arrow54

Arrow54 Member

Nephilim, my software is Shrink/decrypter 3.5.1.0

12. Nephilim

As larrylje stated - Decypter has a drop down menu to set the burn speed.

Mode > ISO > Write

Now you should see the drop down. Once you set the burn speed I believe it will stay that way when Shrink initializes Decrypter to burn.

13. Gambleone

Gambleone Member

ok super helpful i will try that and someone asked how to lower ur burn speed i dont know what program ur using but it should ask u what speed u want to burn just before the burn 4x,8x etc...

14. TitanXV

TitanXV Guest

Gambleone -
    I've seen freezing and pixelation on my TV dvd player from the player just being old - 2 years old. I verified that it was my dvd player by playing the backup on my cheap $25 Apex in the bedroom and it played flawlessly.

As said here, numerous things could happend, to recap:
    1. Media
    2. Burn speed
    3. Target size to high
    4. TV dvd player

TitanXV

15. Gambleone

Gambleone Member

no its not my dvd player cause i use two a samsung h.e.c and the other is a toshiba colorstream one. both were bought in the past year

16. Arrow54

Arrow54 Member

OK guys thanks for the help.Dropped my write speed down to 2.4 and target size to 4300. Deep Analyse and now "Troy" comes out just fine. I read somewhere here about the importance of Defragging if you delete movies files (leaving gaps in hardrive space or something like that). I delete the files from my hardrive folder after each movie burn is completed. Should I defrag after each movie I copy?

17. Loof

Loof Member

Gambleone,
    I had exactly this problem. The solution was a new DVD player. I had an old RCA player from 1999 and, just like you, I had a problem where the movie would start pixelating and then freeze towards the end of the disc. It was very frustrating.

I went out and bought a new Toshiba DVD player. I started watching the movie and the same problem happened. I took it back and exchanged/upgraded to a nicer Sony model. I brought that home and now all of my DVD Shrink copies work beautifully.

The lesson is this: Just because you have a new DVD player doesn't mean you couldn't solve the problem with a better DVD player.

Good luck.

Loof

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

despite not experiencing this problem as long as i burn at 4x, (even though discs are bulkpaq 8x), after reading LOTS of people recommending changing shrink to 4300MB, i have just fallen foul of the skipping near end of movies. set size to 4300, still having problems. So started backing off rips to say, 4GB or so. so far no more probs. I have quite a few of these discs left so will keep doing this for now. Must have had a bad tub of these (25 in a tub). Which is a shame as ive used like 400 of these so far without probs. Will start buying better discs from now on, no big deal as its like £6 tub of 25 with better discs. bargain.