1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entirely free newsgroups

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by momhoener, Oct 23, 2007.

1. momhoener

momhoener Regular member

Ok well when I first started out on news groups I was excited. Using verizon's newsgroups where good with 14 days binarie retention However 2 hours later when 600 blocks where missing i was not. Since then I have looked far and wide for a better free news group solution. AND HERE IT IS freebin.readnews.com that is the server name on port 119 and has a total of 4 connections. This has almost all of the best groups and a total of 14 days retetion all for free. Thanks to all of those who helped me get started on newsgroups. Also use news file grabber and use a bin search on google or something.

2. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Ha, I used them a little bit a LOONG time ago. It's still in my servers list in Xnews. I'm shocked to see they are still going and have the 360 binaries group. I remember them being available for a while then offline for a good stretch. It's not as good as good pay server, but for free it's pretty good. I just checked it out again. It has 30 day retention and was giving me about 175kbps. Enjoy it while it lasts and I hope the servers don't get overrun.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  3. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Like the old adage goes "you get what you pay for...."

Giganews still reigns supreme: 20 connections, 99% file completion, 120 day retention. You can't go wrong with this service. It does cost a little bit of chane but well worth it.

4. momhoener

momhoener Regular member

true you do get what your pay for. But im happily being cheap and still getting my games for now. Just trying to help out everybody like me who wanted a free server.

5. megaman22

megaman22 Member

Nice that you could show us a server and it works with good speed. The only thing i don´t get is why there is so much corruption with the data. I could download a couple of music videos and episodes no problem. But when i wanted to get a whole game it went fast but after some time files would not finish and it would stop the program completely. After pausing always the broken files i could repair the rest with the par files.

For example i wanted to get heroes 205 and it wont work at all.. Only a couple of % of each file.

Is it because it is a free server and has bad completion or is it somehow what i´m doing.

But thanks again for the tip :D

6. momhoener

momhoener Regular member

the file is probably just old. as things get older they tend to get a little more corrupted. try getting something within 7 days for the best files

7. megaman22

megaman22 Member

Heroes was 1 day old when i was trying :(

8. Memnock

Memnock Active member

It's probably because of what algtz1 said. You get what you pay for. I've used Giganews for over 3 years now and they head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to completion and retention. Also they are the most expensive, but worth it IMO. It's possible the problem is on the poster's server end. How are other posts looking? I didn't really check out their completion rate in general, but I'd guess they were at least ok if someone here was suggesting them.

9. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Im using news.btinternet.com and im having no problems.

10. megaman22

megaman22 Member

The files i have been getting the last days have been working well. Guess it was problem with me. But it is safe to use this free server. On their page they say that they only log uploads but it may only be for the registered users.

One last.. you have any more of those free servers, Just as a backup :D

11. darkradar

darkradar Member

are there any free working servers for alt.binaries.games.xbox360? Im trying to find some or do I have to absolutely pay giganews or itchycats or something.