1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson PrintCD doesn't work with Vista...any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by mrchub, Feb 15, 2007.

1. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Have just discovered that Epson PrintCD does not work with Vista (Vista includes drivers for most Epson printers which are capable of printing on discs but does not include PrintCD drivers). I've called Epson and been told absolutely nothing other than that they're working on it. Does anyone know of alternative software to PrintCD that will work with Vista? I don't just mean labeling software, but something which can actually work specifically with Epson disc-printable printers. Thanks.

2. tomdreiss

tomdreiss Member

I don't know much about Vista...but I know XP allows you to run programs in win98/win95 modes. Does Vista have an XP mode?

3. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

I honestly don't know, but you'd think that if that were a workaround that the Epson tech support would tell me to do that. Thanks.

4. wagsby

wagsby Member

I am also having the same problem with Epson Print CD and vista, normal printing if ok but it simply will not print on to cd's The software does not recognise that the cd tray is open.
    Any advice would be appreciated

5. kenneth1

kenneth1 Regular member

6. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Thanks, Kenneth1, but that's the starting point for anyone with this problem. That page is virtually useless since it says nothing about PrintCD. For those who care, the last phone conversation I had with Epson tech support (on 2/16/07) yielded nothing. They said that they are working on it but that they had no ETA for new PrintCD drivers. And the problem is the same no matter if you have an older series (200/220/300...) or the newer series (260, 380, 580). PrintCD simply doesn't work with Vista yet.

7. ejluther

ejluther Member

I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the trial version of Acoustica's CD/DVD Label maker and it worked - I was able to print directly onto a CD. Still, I hope Epson comes out with a patch/update/fix soon...

http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/index.htm

8. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Thanks, ejluther, I'll give that a try. If it works I'll probably stick with it, since PrintCD is pretty lame software anyway.

9. trodaway

trodaway Guest

I fixed it! I have an R200 and I took the Epson software CD and went to the "Drivers" folder and Selected “SetupXP”. There was a warning that there is a known incompatibility with windows Vista, but I followed through with the install and now I have listed under printers the original Vista Epson Stylus Photo R200(M) and the new printer Epson Stylus Photo R200 Series. I have been printing on CD's fine via Vista.

10. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Hey trodaway, what version is that disc? I assume it's an early one if it came with your R200. Thanks.

11. trodaway

trodaway Guest

It's version 1.3A.

12. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

One last thing if you don't mind. Did you reinstall the printer completely or did you only install PrintCD this way? Thx.

13. trodaway

trodaway Guest

I only reinstalled the printer driver from the CD. Now when I look at my printers in Vista, there are two entries for my Epson printer.
    1) Epson Stylus Photo R200 (M)- Vista driver.
    2) Epson Stylus Photo R200 Series - Driver from CD.

I have done some additional testing with the driver from the CD and I can't find any problems with it under Vista.

14. down445

down445 Member

I just found out that I too was having problems with print cd. I kept giving an error and I had to close the dvd tray and then it would print on paper. I noticed that when I inserted the dvd tray and went to print that the program did not automatically switch to the right printing like it used to so I went in and changed print to dvd instead of paper that it had chosen for me and I also selected tray 2 then all worked just fine.

15. mccmd

mccmd Member

I recently Upgraded from WINXP-sp2 to VISTA Ultimate, and had the same problem with the Epson Photo Stylus R200 which I purchased a year ago.
    There is a Vista 32 Capable/certified Software/driver (Easy Print 3.10a)https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=29081&prodoid=37368464&infoType=Downloads&platform=All that will work for General printing with the Epson R200. The Latest version of Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker 3.04 (only 3.04) works great with the R200 for printing directly onto the CD/DVD and is actually faster and a bit better in quality then the prior Epson driver. Remove the prior print CD accessory software that Epson provided with the printer it is not needed. There is a driver for the Epson 200 available but not for download only in the Boxed Version https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&type=highlights¬eoid=86150#inkjet, which I guess is lingo for "buy a new printer to get the drivers"

16. thatha

thatha Member

17. mccmd

mccmd Member

I have been told by Epson Customer support that the download version of the VISTA drivers for the PRINT-CD Software for the R200 unit will be available some time in April Since it is already available in their boxed version I offered to buy a disc but was refused. For the interim I am using the Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker 3(<$25) since I can print both inserts and disc labels simultaneously.

18. greenclaw

greenclaw Member

There's a very simple solution for this, so simple you'll kick yourself like I did when someone told me.

Right click on the link for Epson Print CD, go to the Compatibility tab and under Compatibility Mode tick the box and choose Windows XP SP2. Now CD printing will work. You might need to have version 1.5 though, which is here http://support.epson.ru/upload/drivertypes/000781/PrintCD_15aE.zip

19. elisha1

elisha1 Member

i have a epson r320 with continious ink system and trying to use print cd with windows vista but it wont let me the tray goes in and them comes out i've got version 1.5 and its run in compatability mode and i have 2 printers installedepson r320 epson r320(m) can anybody help please as i am seriously thinking about reformatting and going back to xp

20. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

You should seriously think about learning the use of punctuation, too. ;-)