1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson R200 Printing CD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by stubar, Nov 30, 2004.

1. stubar

stubar Member

Hi
    I've got the R200 and succesfully printed loads of DVD's. Then for some reason it refuses to work! Sucks it in, spits it out and says "CD DVD tray not set correctley" !!
    I've cleaned nozzles, alligned heads, reset defaults, updated drivers all no good.
    Anybody help?

2. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

Hello,

You know I had just that same problem last week, I printed a few DVD's and then for no reason I got the same mgs as you described. I had the printer for a week. I tried cleaning etc, updating software...I just came to the conclusion that this printer sucked.

Now the good folk at mediamarkt (Bruschal, Germany) took the printer back because it failed to do what I bought it for, ie mainly Disc printing and they were nice about it.

I exchanged it for a Canon Pixma iP3000 and this works like a charm, the build quality and speed of the disc print mechanism is of a better build than that of the Epson's (after trying both)...It does not spray ink all over the print tray and most of all it's faster and quieter. Unforunately, the bundled canon software is not as good as Epson's print CD software so I am looking for a decent alternative.
    Sadly I beleive the pixma series printer's do not offer a disc printing feature in North America.

3. yavor

yavor Member

Have you moved the printer to a new location? Or did you put something behind it? May sound stupid, but the first time I tried printing a CD I had the same problem until... I found out that the CD/DVD tray gets out of the printer behind it - you must provide at least 3 inches of empty space behind the printer. Unfortunately you can't find this in the manual and we all know what our desks look like ...

4. forkndave

forkndave Member

Manu_DVD,
    I'm curious, where did you get a Canon Pixma iP3000 that prints on DVDs. I looked at the Canon web site and they make no mention of the printer being able to do this. I guess you are in Germany, but I would think that all iP3000 printers would be similar. As far as I know, the only ones in the US that will print on DVDs or CDs are made by Epson.
    stubar,
    Make sure the guides on the end of the tray aren't bent. They tend to get bent down and cause the tray to stick. Sometimes the tray on mine will hesitate as it starts to go under the rollers. When it does this I just give it a little assist and it works O.K. I have an R300 and it eventually told me that parts inside had reached the end of their service life and refused to work. I e-mailed Epson and was told to call support and they would send me a new one. While I was digging out my receipt, I found I had bought a replacement policy on it so I just took it back to Staples and they gave me a new one. Epson appears to have an excellent warrantee and it's for a year. I have had Epson printers fail before and they've always been fast and they pay all the shipping. What they said they would do this time was send me a printer in a container for the old one to go back in with prepaid shipping. You can't hardly beat that.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  5. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

To forkndave:

Yes I live In Germany and bought my Pixma printer (as an affordable way to label my back-up's - That's basically What I want from the printer).
    Like I mentioned above I too had an Epson but this was not what I was looking for and changed it for the Canon (It kicks the epson out of the water for Disc print quality and speed)..
    It's odd that Canon have not included a disc printing mechanism for this series of printer in North America and I for one would complain to Canon for this feature to be included. If you need disc printing I suggest you return your printer and get one from Ebay Germany where you may get a bargain - Use with a voltage converter and you'll be laughing!..

Below: I was showing a friend of mine some samples of my print out's of my DVD back-Up's from the Canon Pixma series DVD Print head. (Printed on to Verbatim made Bulqpak DVD+R) with Lightened Saturation. see below for 2 examples.-
    Image 1:http://people.freenet.de/papples76/Simpsons_Canon_pixma.jpg
    Image 2:http://people.freenet.de/papples76/Kung_Pow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2004
  6. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Hi all This is a known problem with the epson R200 as i work in a computer shop i see these being returned week in week out. and with epsons protection counters to boot i wouldnt recommend these printers to anyone. Every person who returned these printers have gone on to purchase Canon better printers all around IMO

7. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

didnt see the bit about end of service life this is the epson protection counter and it is a load of ******* another reason not to buy one IMO

8. forkndave

forkndave Member

Well, since Epson makes the only disc printable printers that are available to me, I guess I'll have to keep on using them. They do a good job printing for me. As long as I pay Staples $25.00 a year I get free replacements. My biggest complaint is the price of the ink. I use compatable cartridges which are less than half as much as Epson cartridges and I still spend too much money on ink. I wish someone would come up with a refillable cartridge for these. I don't want one of those systems with all of the bottles and hoses that I've seen advertised.

9. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

The Epson ink carts are very expensive....Since I changed to the canon, My Inks are 'almost full' after what seems 50 + full print dics.. What i truley disliked about Epson is their software that deflates (makes smaller) inks ARTIFICIALLY - without doubt.
    I have bought replacement inks X 2 Top quality for my canon for 15Euro.

10. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Nothing to do with epson software it is the chipped cartridges that are the problem, they have been known to artificially report the status of the ink tanks. A pain in the rear but usually can be overcome as can the pain in the rear rpotection counter

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  11. vivien272

vivien272 Member

was having printing cd problems as well found this thread read yabor's post about moving the location of the printer. did it and now it works fine. seems there is a slot on back of printer that the tray has to have room to come out.It was hitting a slat on my book shelf. moved the printer and it is now working fine. thanks!

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have had the R200 for 4 month now and printed around 250 disks. It is still working as good as the day i recieved it. I really only use it to print disk's though. I to work in a computer shop and would have to say the one product we get comming bact to our store is the cannon printers. We do get some Epson and HP but no where near as much as the cannon's. I believe that HP makes the best printers, but thats about all they make good :) I can't wait until they come out with a printer to print CD's.

If your looking for ink for the Epson check here
    http://private.abacus24-7.com/(ekzn.../driver.aspx?topic=compatibility&compat=12973
    I took a chance and got some of these yesterday and they actually work great!! $22 for all 6 cartridges

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

13. stubar

stubar Member

Thanks everyone for the good advice. Yavor you were quite right. New TFT, great space saver which allowed me to .... yes you guessed, move the desk closer to the wall!! Doh. Now I have to pull the printer out a bit. No big deal really because I now know the problem.
    Once again thanks everyone. At least it sparked a good thread about the R200, a much maligned printer.

14. pieman

pieman Regular member

Hi guys...for all you epson users that want to banish any service counters etc check out www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml worked for me!!

15. pieman

pieman Regular member

stubar, fell off my chair at the thought of you sorting your problem out!!I bet the air turned blue!!Done something similar myself, nice one!!Any way....if anyone needs to service or dismantle thier epsons try this site http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/

16. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

I just bought the Epson R200 because I heard nothing but good about this printer, both in DVD and photo printing. The ONLY complain I heard was that after about 100+ DVD copied you need to shove the tray not biggie for me so I bought it.

Anyway where can I buy a GOOD printable media?
    (I prefere Mitzubishi but TDK, Ritek and other good media are fine) THNX.

17. forkndave

forkndave Member

In my experience Ritek prints with the brightest colors. Verbatim and Prodisc print well also, but the colors are more subdued as compared to Ritek. What I generally do is set the density to +1 for all discs except Ritek. The Riteks I set the density to the default setting. I haven't found any discs that give a good red color. If I print a Ritek at +1 density, it's liable to be dark and the reds more to the brown. You'll just have to experiment and see what works best for you. Ritek and MCC have a very smooth surface which I like. Others such as Optodisc and Taiyo Yuden have a rough feeling surface, but they still look O.K. You'll just about have to order your printables online because most stores I've been in either don't have them or only have poor brands. If you want hub printable you can get Ritek G05 hub printable and Verbatim and Prodisc are hub printable. If you're in the US you can get these from http://www.meritline.com , http://www.supermediastore.com , http://www.rima.com and many other places. I've ordered from those three and got good service from them.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  18. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

THNX forkndave, I will try those.

19. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I would also recommend the new Verbatim made Bulkpaq series + R..These discs are MCC 003 and simply have the best printable surface I have ever used, very smooth unlike Verbatim's own AZO brand (which I beleive they are changing soon the printable method they use)..Excellent pressed disc like results with my Canon pixma.

I live in Germany and find bulkpaq unavailable in most stores but thanks to the German ebay I get them..

I really recommend these disc coz their of good dye and the print surface is super cool..see my above post for a sample.