1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eragon "My DVD Burner won't recognize"

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ssloanlpn, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ssloanlpn

ssloanlpn Member

Greetings! I have a new Lite-On LH-20A1H-185 (20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology - OEM) Mouthful! Every time I place my copy of Eragon into my drive nothing happens. It simple will not recognize the disc! I've even installed the newest firmware but no luck. No other problems to speak of. Thanks!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Is this same disc recognized in other drives or stand alone DVD Player? Also is AnyDVD or simular program running when you try to read this disc?

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the brand name,format,and speed rate of your blank media?

Sounds like a compatability issue-the dreaded no disc error. Whatever format you are using(Plus or Dash) switch to the opposite,but make sure it quality stuff like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

Most likely the format of media you used,but other culprits can cause that:

Certain MID coded media/Crap media
    Paper/sticker labels
    Burn engine
    Burner quality,but Lite-ons are very good so that should be ruled out.

Do like bbmayo posted,test those backups in other stand alone players/game consoles/or pc drives-the more,the better. Then you'll get a better picture at what drives can and can't play them.

1 thing to take into consideration, the dash format usually gives a higher stand alone player compatability rate as apposed to the plus format. But,with booktyping capable drives,The plus format-after booktyping them to dvd-rom, is superior to the dash format.

Lite-on Drives have bitsetting capability with the use of their utility. It turns to plus format to dvd-rom,therefore fooling stand alone players into thinking they are the original disc-dvd-rom that they are playing.

Here's a free program that'll tell the MID code of your media and it'll also tell us if they have are booktyped:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Insert backup disc into the Litey/open up dvdidentifier/select that litey as the source drive/click identify/click clipboard/and paste it into your next post and give us a gander at what it says.

4. ssloanlpn

ssloanlpn Member

It's the factory purchased copy of Eragon. There are no scratches on the disc and yes it plays fine on all of my stand alone dvd players. Also, I have no problems playing any other movie. Matter of fact this drive is designed to play practically any format under the sun even karaoke discs. I have tried turning on ANYdvd also. No luck so far. Thanks!

5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

ssloanlpn,
    You have the infamous Lite-On LH-20A1H. It has been stated and noted on a Lite-on forum that the drive sometimes will not read a commerical DVD. You will have to wait to see if Lite-On will figure out the problem. If you just bought it I suggest that you take it back for exchange for another brand as it is somewhat defective as it does work on some movies and not on the others

6. ssloanlpn

ssloanlpn Member

Bummer...That may explain why it was only $35.00 shipped to my door. The newest firmware I was able to locate was released on 3-7-07 so maybe they are trying to fix the problem? Thanks bro!

7. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

ssloanlpn,
    You really do need to go over to the Lite-On forums ( different ones are on the net) and do a little reading on that burner. Those forums are usually the first to hear about any new patch's if one can be done. The only work around is for you do install a DVD-Rom drive and do the read from there and use the burner only for writing to the DVD.

8. ssloanlpn

ssloanlpn Member

Exactly my thoughts as far as a quick solution. Are these lite-on forums located on this afterdawn site or at the manufacturer's web site? Thanks!

9. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

I'll PM you a site to go to.