1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Err Message on DVD-R Disc - on Panasonic DMR ES20 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by tommich, Jan 22, 2008.

1. tommich

tommich Member

I had been recording 20 – 30 minutes of material off of TV for the last 5 weeks. Each time I would insert my Disc (Maxell DVD-R) into my DVD Recorder – Panasonic DMR ES20 – it would read the Disc and then display how much time was left on the Electronic Display (i.e. R01:47).

I had about 15 minutes left on the DVD, which I taped at LP Speed, so I had approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes recorded over 5 individual sessions. When I put the Disc in tonight, the Recorder Read the Disc for awhile, and then I received a message on my TV Screen “Cannot Read. Please Check Disc”. “Err” then displays on the electronic display of the Recorder, which is then unresponsive to any command other than “Open”.

I put the Disc in my other Panasonic Recorder – DMR-E55, just to see if it could read the Disc. I did not get an error message – the electronic display on the Recorder said “R0:00”, while nothing appeared on my TV Screen. I hit Function to see if I could Finalize the Disc, but the screen said the Disc had 0:00 used, and – Remaining. When I hit Play, I received a message saying “Cannot Read Disc”.

This is a custom made compilation DVD, thus it is virtually irreplaceable. Is there any way the data can be retrieved off this Disc, even though it has not been finalized? Are they any services out there or applications?

Has anyone ever encountered this problem, and/or know what causes it? I just put another tape which I have also used previously and was able to record on it, so I know its not the Recorder that is the issue.

Any help or advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi

1) next time use better discs as Taiyo Yudens
    2) try dvd decrypter or dvdfabhddecrypter to see if it will read your disc

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you might have burned too close to the edge of the disk, also. when that happens many players won't be able to read the disk. You can try to rip the DVD onto the computer. I wish you luck. use programs mentioned by iluvendo or you can try to copy and past since you recorded as a DATA DVD, but that's only if the computer can read your disk to begin with. that's where the "I wish you luck" comes in.

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

If I suggested ^^^^ does'nt work then Brother IHOE maybe correct

"We wish you luck"

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I have this very same DVD recorder; i only use DVD-RW on mine, as more often than not there's crap to remove afterwards, ie adverts at start and end of the programme, so i always finalize the disc then use DVD Shrink on a PC to tidy up the programme, then burn to a regular -R or +R disc

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

see it takes someone who knows the recorder to really give insight! thanks Creaky!

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i haven't used my Panasonic in months but that's how i do it, no sense in wasting write-only discs; have mine connected to a Freeview (free-to-air) TV tuner and only use my Panny to record TV programs now and then, but it plays back movies fine as a dvd player (though of course i don't want to wear it out, the Panny was very expensive)

8. tommich

tommich Member

Hey everybody, thanks for the help, but unfortunately no matter what I tried, the disc could not be read.

What I don't get is, how can my DVD Recorder say there is R0:00 (no time remaining), yet then say the Disc has no data on it?

Does this type of thing happen often?

9. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Those panasonic recorders are a piece of crap. I know, as i have 2 of them. (you would think i learned my lesson the first time). Mine goes thru "unable to read disc" errors most of the time on new blank discs. Sometimes you can just put a laser cleaner in the drive and then it will read the disc. I took mine apart and did a manual clean once 2 get it to read discs. In your case, it sounds like it shows 00:00 remaining because it wont display the last few remaining minutes even though they are probably still there.
    I had a disc i tried to save in the same way, and i remember the file showed up on my computer as a .tga or some weird extension on the unfinalized disc. Nothing i found could convert the panasonic file into a VOB or something that could be converted 2 a normal video file. After doing the manual cleaning on my DVR, i got it to read discs, and i burnt everything off the harddrive while i could.
    I would do like creaky said, and use DVD-RW in the future. I know it doesnt help 4 your current problem. Try cleaning the laser, and see if it reads a blank, or your recorded/unfinalized disc. You may have to try multiple cleanings before it reads a blank. If you get to where it reads your data disc, finalize it immediatly. Then you can make copies of that disc with shrink or any other DVD burning/copying program.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  10. tommich

tommich Member

Thanks for the info - I'm beginning to share your opinion on the Panasonic. I have two myself.

I've never owned any Video Recorder besides Panasonic - what would you recommend f I get a new DVD Recorder?

I'll try the Cleaning Method and let you know if that helps.

Thanks again.

11. tommich

tommich Member

Just received another error on another disc - same thing, had been recording bits at a time. This time though, the Disc Setting says Titles:5; Used: 2:59; Free:0:00. Unlike the previous disc, where the DVD Recorder did not acknowledge any data was actually on the Disc.

If I hit play, I can play all 5 tracks, no problem. When I hit DISC NAME to name the Disc, I get a message "Cannot Enter A Name". When I click FINALIZE, I get a message "Cannot Finalize". No explanation of why - just that it cannot do it.

I rarely encounter errors when I try to record something all in one shot (like a Football Game or Movie) - do you think the errors have to do with the fact that I am recording in multiple sessions?

12. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

It shouldnt make any difference, but try a RW DVD disc and see if that helps. They are made for multi-sessions. I bought an LG DVR because it was cheap, and it didnt have a hard-drive. Stupid thing wont let me record my HBO or anything except some sports programs. Says the material is copywrited. So about all its good for is playback and recording womens volleyball on DVD-RWs. I still keep one panasonic in the bedroom to record, and then i try to get it to burn to a disc, if it can recognize one.
    Weird problem you have with it not letting you finalize something it knows has data on it.

13. tommich

tommich Member

I may just go out and buy a Sony - I've heard good things about them. That's messed up that it won't let you tape HBO and stuff. I bought something from Israel which works on my VHS Tapes which had Copyright Protection. Not sure if it would work on Live TV.

14. ronnybuck

ronnybuck Member

I have a ES20 and have had the same problem. Lost a whole DVD. Found that I may have set the time too long and it was filled to the brim. It played OK until I finalized. Got ERR from then on. Just had to be careful after that. Never set one to record and not use timer as it will tell you if there is enough space. If you don't get the OK you need to check time. I found out the brand of DVD can be a problem. I use only Sony's and they do fine 99.99% of the time. I tried Maxell and when I overtimed it and was trash. Ever since I had this ES20 the Date and time would reset. I called Panasonic and they sent a Firmware upgrade. It appears to have fixed it. I also noticed if I start a DVD in the ES20 and use it in a older unit say a ES10 it reports a odd amount of space left. Instead of saying 1.01 it would be 1.16 but don't believe it. I tried a Sony onetime and was lousy recording off air. That was a couple of years ago. Maybe they are better now. My ES10 is nearly 4 years old and still going.