1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error 80070005

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by neilcolt, May 8, 2011.

1. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

I am getting a windows update error 80070005 when i try to down load some updates.I have windows vista home basic.
    I have read various fixes across the internet but none seem to work.The laptop did have a virus sometime ago and i fixed by downloading malware bytes.I was wondering if my windows folder where all these downloads go into is corrupt.
    The strange thing is i can use windows updates for my hardware on this laptop,its only the windows updates that fail with this 80070005 error message.
    Help appreciated.

2. JohnRocks

JohnRocks Member

The error code 80070005 usually means that you do not have enough permission to install updates.

First please confirm you have logged on an account with administrative privileges.

If the issue still occurs, lets’ try the following method to reset the permissions:

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from microsoft’s website. Than double click the downloaded file. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
    Now Click Start, in the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @Echo =========================
    @pause

* After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.
    Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, and then choose "Run as administrator."
    You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Try to install the updates again.

This issue can be also caused by third-party security programs such as firewalls and anti-virus software. You can disable or remove them to check the issue.

3. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Thanks for that Johnrocks ive got rid of that error code.On my work laptop when trying to download windows 7 service pack 1,I get an error code 800736B3 wonder if you could help me this one.
    Help appreciated.