1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Burning with External DVD-Writer and USB2 (SCSI command aborted)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by xtremeNL, Aug 18, 2004.

1. xtremeNL

xtremeNL Guest

Hi,

I have been seraching and found many people with the same problem as I am having all have different burners/external cases. Therefore I deduce that the problem does not have much to do with the brand of such hardware. Nevertheless, I have the SONY DVD RW DRU-510A Writer. Using a Sweex external case (USB2.0) on my laptop that does have USB2.0. (3GHz, 1024MegRAM, 60Gig 7500RPM HDD)

The problem is that the first few seconds of burning the CD, Nero attempts a SCSI command, which is rejected by the drive resulting in the [bold]"SCSI command aborted"[/bold] error. It would seam that Nero thinks that the device is a SCSI device when in fact it is not as it is an IDE drive.

I have read to use the ForceASPI, this does not help.

I have read to update the USB Drivers through windows update, but it is not available to be installed when I try to do so.

I have used Pinncale studio 9 to burn a video dvd - This did work, but it was only at 1x ... and it was the compilation of ahome videos.

I have tried with both data and video using Nero, Alcohol 120% and Veritas software, but all fail, either in the beginning (with Nero) or near the end (With Veritas/Alcohol 120%).

If anyone has solved this or can help me, and the rest of us with this problem we would greatly appretiate it!

ThanX in advance for any replies!

Ciao
    Brad

Here is a log file from Nero...I have cut out a lot of it as I assume most of it is irrelavant

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Have you tried using the burner on a different PC to rule out whether it's the drive or your system? Different USB cable?

3. cyanescen

cyanescen Member

I have been bombarding this sight for any info on the exact same problem with no working solutions. All of the suggestions were good but didn't help remedy the problem. Maybe we can find some commonality that we share that may lead us to a fix. My problems seem to have started after a reformat but I moved to a new house before attempting to try to burn anything. Then when I did, I got the same error as you and I am using a different drive and it has been tried on a different computer with the same negative results. I bought a brand new drive and the same thing happens. I actually got it to burn two dvd-r's after destroying 20 of them and then right back to the same thing. Let's see if we can get this.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

5. cyanescen

cyanescen Member

Yep...in my device manager it says 'PCI to USB enhanced host controller' and everything is working properly so it says.

6. xtremeNL

xtremeNL Guest

I have a lost of USB things...
    What next ? :)

7. xtremeNL

xtremeNL Guest

I have now successfully burned two DVDs...
    Using Nero is impossible as I cannot tell Nero NOT to issue the SCSI command to the burner, which is the reason why it is failing.

I used Nero to make an ISO. Then I used Alcohol 120% to burn this ISO onto the DVD at MAXIMUM speed. (WHich will automatically adjust itself to burn okay) If you tell it to burn at 4x, there is a good chance of if failing. (I did this though the simulation, and that failed)

http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

This does not really solve the problem, but until we can get it to burn well, this is a "work-around"

Ciao
    Brad

8. houdini66

houdini66 Member

i am haveing the same problem i have had the drive in 3 different computers tryed nero 5.5 dvdxcopy plat use the drive (soney dru510a firmware 1.1 and the org.) as a usb2 and ide and one for the computers has a fresh install (drive fdisked and formated) of windows xp home. i have made 30+ dvds with no errors.
    and i have used different brands of dvd-rs one of them being the sony brand... the only dvd i have been able to use is a dvd+r. i have noticed that on the dvd-r there is a small ring just outside of the center
    this is where it stops burning and when i burn a data only dvd it comes back with a multi session warning and if i tell it to continue it starts to burn to the out side of this ring. i also have used the sony drive check utility, passes all tests useing the sony dvds but wont with memorex (problem as above) i have made working dvds useing sony, memorex and imation, now these all fail btw the dvd+rs dont have the ring as above......btw the error i get from nero is scsi command aborted ( happens no matter id the drive is in usb2 or ide) i have all of the same error logs and the same usb info

9. houdini66

houdini66 Member

tried alcohol 120.... failed again here is the part of the log that shows the error

09:29:48 Processor info: Pentium III (0.18 um) With 256 KB On-Die L2 Cache (697MHz)
    09:29:48 Memory Available to Windows: 522,740 KB
    09:29:48 Memory Buffer size: 128 MB
    09:29:49 Image file loading: D:\DS9S5D7.MDS
    09:29:49 DVD Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 1, Length: 4.36 GB / 507:58:25
    09:29:49 Image file loading: D:\DS9S5D7.I00
    09:30:06 (F:) SONY DVD RW DRU-510A(USB:0): Recording Method/Speed
    09:30:06 Recording - DVD DAO - 4.0X (5520 KB/Sec)
    09:34:15 (F:) SONY DVD RW DRU-510A(USB:0) - [Write ERROR] LBA: 2448, Length: 16
    S:KEY - 05/21/02 - "Invalid Address For Write"
    09:34:15 (F:) SONY DVD RW DRU-510A(USB:0): Recording failed!
    09:34:15 Error message: [05/21/02] - Invalid Address For Write
    09:34:15 (F:) SONY DVD RW DRU-510A(USB:0): Recording failed!
    09:34:15 Image file loading aborted!

i am able to make dvd+r no problems at this time just not dvd-r

10. cyanescen

cyanescen Member

Well, I dont know exactly what happened but I uninstalled everything( shrink & nero) and then reformatted and downloaded the previous version of shrink 3.17(the one that I had when everythin worked fine) and then I installed the nero that came with my burner nero OEM and everything works fine again. DVD-r and DVD+r burn like they should. I also used to get that small ring around the outside of the center of my dvd's. I also flashed my drive to the newest version of firmware. Hope that maybe this can help you guys.

11. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi xtremeNL,

The SCSI Command Aborted error message is a generic error message that applies to recorders connected via IDE, SCSI, USB, and Firewire.

This is a holdover from the very first recorders that were all SCSI, and it's from the MMC command set, not Nero. So this error message does not mean that Nero is only issuing SCSI Commands. :)

As to the cause of this issue, there are a number of possible causes, and it's usually a tough nut to crack.

I've seen this caused by:

1) Old drivers for the IDE controller, or new ones that are not properly working with the controller
    2) Old versions of the CD recording software
    3) Old firmware on the recorder
    4) Media that will not support the high write speeds selected (at least not with that model recorder)
    5) Conflicts with other CD Recording software, which is currently or was once installed on the system. Changes to the Registry from these other recording programs is the normal cause and only cleaning the registry after removing the software will resolve the issue. Which is why a number of times a fresh install is reported to have resolved a customers issue.

Regards,

Craig

12. houdini66

houdini66 Member

WHOOT!!!!! its alive!!! i do believe i found away to fix it.... i used dvd decrypter to rezero the drive and sofar have been able to make 2 dvd-rs. now for the bad news.... this morning when i tryed to return to the website where i found this wonderful free program the site was suppened allthough there support forums were still active... the urls are as follows;
    www.dvddecrypter.com and forums.dvddecrypter.com
    the rezero utility is found by right clicking on the source drive (after picking your burner as the source drive) which will bring up a popup menu......
    you will need to have a blank dvd in the drive
    i do belive this is what fixed my problem as i have have been able to resume useing dvd-rs with nero though so far nero says it is doing it a 1x... but i am not going to complain as it is taking less time at that speed that the other software i have tryed at faster speeds...grin good luck all

13. genady

genady Member

I have a similar problem.

I have a laptop with USB1.1 and an external DVD-Writer.
    Everything was working but very slow.

Now I have bought a USB2.0 PCMCIA card, and I get this "SCSI command" error in both simulation and burn process. I can still use the old USB1.1 ports with no problem.

14. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Since the only thing that changes is the USB2.0 controller, and the recorder remains the same and works on the USB1.1 bus, I would look to be sure you have the latest drivers for your USB2.0 card.

I've even seen in some cases when the cusomter installed the Windows Default drivers to resolve issues with the drivers that came with a Controller.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

15. genady

genady Member

Hi Craig,

That is great to have somebody from Ahead to answer questions on this forum.

I didn't install any drivers when the problem appeared. Only after I had the problem I installed the drivers I got with my card, but the problems didn't go away.

I have read that burning an ISO with DVD Decrypter helps, and it indeed worked (simulation). With Nero the same simulation fails. Is it possible Nero uses some kind of non-standard API?

16. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Genady,

We use our own ASPI driver. To see if this is the issue, you can go to the C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero folder and look for the WNASPI32.DLL file and rename it to WNASPI32.BAK and then reboot.

This will cause our software to default to the systems ASPI driver. And see if this resolves your issue. If it does, then we need to take a close look as our ASPI driver.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

17. genady

genady Member

If I do that, Nero does not recognize the DVD-writer at all.

18. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hmm, that used to work with Nero 5.5, but we've obviously made some changes in our drivers.

You might want to follow the solution mentioned in the below thread and see if this resolves your issue as well. So far we have seen a number of users with issues similar to yours resolved by the below fix.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/105065#565882

Plese let us know if it resolves your issue as well.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

19. genady

genady Member

Hi,

I returned the original nero WNASPI32.DLL, started nero, but there is no such process.

Would id be useful if I send you some logs?
    Are there any debug flags I can turn on?

Genady

20. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

You do not see RMADEC.EXE in the TaskManager process window?

You can run our Nero InfoTool and provide me with it's output at techsupport4@nero.com along with the model of the USB2.0 controller you are using. This will go along way in allowing us to duplicate your system, and hopefully your issue.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA