1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error code 74 red light

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Arbiter38, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Arbiter38

Arbiter38 Regular member

I was playing call of duty 4 and my screen was getting black lines on it when I was playing in game only, so I shut it off and I got one red light on the 4th quadrant and it showed an error code 74. I cant play games or do anything. I also tried unpluging everything and that didnt work so if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know becuase xbox wants to charge me 100 dollars to get it repaired and I dont want to waste 100 dollars, so if anyone knows what to do let me know.
    Thanks

2. rxpc

rxpc Member

I've heard of people fixing their 360's with this E74 error.
    Google around, you can see what they did to solve the problem.

Maybe adding a heatsink on the Hana chip will fix the issue.

3. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

Want to sell it?

4. |CL|

|CL| Regular member

Yeah, I'd love to buy it too but I'd rather help him try to fix it himself. Plus, this isn't a buy and sell forum.

Arbiter38: The first thing to try is unplug everything from the console and let it sit that way for about 30 minutes and then try it again and see what happens.

If that fails, we can go from there...

Edit: just as a note,the e74 error is usually the same thing that causes the three red lights. Usually the same fix for that will fix the e74 error as well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  5. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement

6. smoobies

smoobies Guest

O.K. here it goes. I had this problem the second time my 360 broke , meaning Microsoft repaired it the first time. E- 74 dispit what every one thinks, is the same as having the 3 rings of death . Microsoft uses this code via 3 rings of death so that there is a clause in the contract not to repair it . I called up Microsoft to have mine fix and they said we can not repair it for free because there are no 3 red rings. No, there are 4 red rings flashing. I brought mine to xbox360-pros.com and the guy there rolled his eyes after hearing my story with Xbox support. He also told me that it is the same problem as the 3 rings of death( over heating, hence loose connection with clamps cpu/Gpu and/ or motherboard. Needless to say, they fixed it for a price.People say it's the video connection of cable for E-74. OK ask yourself this, did a dog or mouse chew my video cable up? Then its not the cable.Have you been excessive pluging or unplugging your video cable out. Probaly not. Youe can amuse you self and buy a new cable which will render the same results. If your handy you could buy a book and fix it yourself or else pay for the repair.

7. smoobies

smoobies Guest

Oh, by the way, My screen had the same black horizontal lines while I was plating Carcasson. I recall now, Its definatly something that came undone, hense the over heating thus the shut of the cpu or gpu. When you turn it on all you see is Error E-74 right? That means the mother board is working. If you voided the warrenty alread, open the trunk and check out the engine. You have nothing to loose. If you can'nt fix it then send it to Xbox360-pros.com or M$ ( either is going to charge you the same) but xbox 360 replaces your fans with cooler ones, heats your motherboard up to loosen all of the soldering jonts and resolders them. replaces the clamps with better heat sinks. M$ doesn't do all of this , thats why mine broke a SECOND time. Do it right the first time M$ if your reading this. And stop ripping hard paying customers off with your clausy contracts!

8. Arbiter38

Arbiter38 Regular member

Well I would get it repaired but I want to see if there is another solution. So how do I do the x-clamp replacement and its not the av cable becuase I checked and it looks like its new.
    hey if x-clamp will fix it I would be happy to do that, but I need a tutorial first.
    Thanks

9. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

All the X Clamp mod is. Its a bunch of screws and some nylon Washers

10. Arbiter38

Arbiter38 Regular member

well what will fix the e 74?

11. pencilnec

pencilnec Member

If you do the RBJtech xclamp replace on the gpu, you'll have 4 screws under the metal case holding the heatsink on. You may have to play around with the tightness of those screws, specifically the two on the left(as you face the front of the 360). Too tight and you'll get 3 red lights and too loose you'll get e74 one red light. I messed around quite a while and the box finally seems to run good. Also, put that baffle or divider in the fan shroud so the left side fan (as you face the front of the 360) pulls air over the heatsink. My box when it broke went right to the e74 and this worked great for me, but it was some messing around. I tried the lawdawg method first with only limited success. You might as well do the cpu too with the rbjtech. I cut the case behind the fans to not restrick any airflow and knock on wood it has been working better than new.

12. Arbiter38

Arbiter38 Regular member

ok ill try that thx

13. Maazer

Maazer Guest

Man, I thought I'd get banned on Live before i would succumb to having this problem. My 360 is flashed and i have brand new aftermarket supercooling fans. I bought a brand new xbox but traded my friend because i needed a flashable drive. he used his a lot, but after putting in new fans, i figured it would keep it cool for the remainder of its life. wrong. The guy i go to get my stuff done makes me go to the store, purchase a brand new console, then go back to his place and swap the insides out. then i return the xbox that same day. If you ever do this, walmart checks the serials on the box and console to see if they match up. they gave me shit and knew i was up to no good, but if you manage to keep that sticker on and do a good job, you're set. this E74 error is setting me back and i'm gonna have to do the 'poorman's walmart trade'. hopefully i get a samsung drive.

14. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

if u do the walmart or Toys-r-us Swap all u need to do is take the "GUTS" Out of the New Xbox and Put the old "GUTS" in the New Steel Case and Stick it all together and reapply the Warranty Seal and take it back. because the serial that is on the back of the system is the same on the steel case that u can see Above the front USB ports if u take off the Faceplate.

15. Maazer

Maazer Guest

Yeah, thats what we did last time. my friend has this awesome method on taking off the case by still having the sticker stick to one end.

16. phufur

phufur Member

74 easy fix, clamps wont do anything as its the hana chip do the code read. press the sync and eject button it will give you codes. 1 light is well 1. same for 2 and 3. 4 lights means zero look up that code. and if its the hana chip. take something like a hair dryer hold it over the hana chip and while heating it on high keep trying to turn it on and off. if after 3 mins it still hasnt worked feel the chip if its too hot wait a bit for it to cool. test again and if that didnt work try again. i use an old style pop corn popper with my xbox 360 this isnt perma fix ether. but it comes back every 3 or 4 days. and it takes 5 mins to fix. it works honest.

17. Maazer

Maazer Guest

Eh, if i'm gonna have to do it often, i don't even wanna bother. It will only take a day to swap consoles and i don't like the idea of applying heat to it. Especially because i'm not a hardware person. With my luck, i'll probably end up destroying the motherboard or accidentally stepping on the disk drive.