1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Codes 6 and 12 - What are my options?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Howie_n, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Howie_n

Howie_n Member

I recently bought an XBox from a friend. The DVD drive has been unreliable for quite a while, so he wasn't able to use it for gaming. I was wanting to put a MythTV frontend on it, and figured I wouldn't need the DVD drive once I got it modded.

Last night I was able to soft mod the XBox. I put UnleashX on it initially. I also dowloaded Xebian for installing MythTV. I burned it to a DVD, and tried to install it. Every attempt ended when the XBox quit recognizing the DVD drive.

I left for class, and when I returned, I started up the XBox and got an error code 6. I looked this up and found it meant my hard drive had been locked to another motherboard. I put a game in, tried booting, and got error code 12. I removed the game and have been getting error code 12 ever since. If it hadn't been for the error code 6, I'd consider replacing the DVD drive, but I don't want to pay much to fix the error code 12 only to find I still have an error code 6.

I'd like to get this XBox to boot either Xebian or XBMC (which I've found out has a MythTV frontend available). I couldn't care less about playing XBox games on it, or playing DVDs - if the DVD drive is completely non-functional, I don't care, so long as I can boot.

What are my options? I've been lead to believe hardware mods will ignore the errors that will brick a softmodded XBox. Would buying a modchip make my XBox usable again? If so, what do people recommend? (My XBox is a version 1.0)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. casper007

casper007 Guest

Hard mods will ignore error codes once installed, My only recommendation is to Google for a mod as that's what i done and never had a problem getting mine, I don't think i can advertise as to where i got mine from due to forum rules sorry. Just shop around for a Xecuter3, or check the stickys at top of page. Good luck dude, hope you get it sorted.