1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error finalizing burn process.....any ideas ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by loco63, Mar 23, 2005.

1. loco63

loco63 Member

ive been having this problem for some time now and cant seem to get around it, so i decided to turn to the professionals :)

it seems that most of the dvd's i burn turn out ok. during playback they are good for 96% of the movie. nearly every single movie errors, skips and freezes at the very end. somehow i beleive it has something to do with the finalizing process. even when it appears to have burned properly.

also, when burning a previously burned dvd, i get read errors at the very end, which tells me that where the skipping and freezing begins, is obviously where the read errors are.

im using prodisc blank dvd's and a liteon burner in an hp machine. for software i get the same results in all dvd shrink, dvd xcopy pro, dvd decrypter, nero etc....

thanks for any advice.

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

try changing target size in dvd shrink's preferences to 4300MB.

it keeps from burning to the edge of the disc :)

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

As kchev..................

It is more than likely due to the reader having difficulty reading the extreme outer circumference of the disc, by reducing the 'target size', you will not burn to the outer circumference.

Also your choice of disc may have a bearing on it aswell, due to low quality 'dyes' it maybe that the dye is not uniform across the complete surface of the disc, and therefore you get areas which seem to be corrupt but these areas are just difficult to read from due to inconsistancies................

1.Use some good quality discs
    2.Reduce the target size of you dvd compilation.

4. loco63

loco63 Member

thank you for the replies. i will certainly give it a try this weekend.

is there a way to change the target size in dvd xcopy ?

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I have never used it so I would not know, however I do believe dvdxcopy does not have the variability that others have eg, dvd2one/dvdshrink etc..........

6. loco63

loco63 Member

i have also read that setting dma to enabled can make a difference. i gave it a look and im already set to "dma if available".

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You are correct.
    2 things to look for in that section:
    1.Transfer mode if available
    2.Current Transfer mode - this is the one that will revert to PIO Mode

The setting DMA means:
    Direct memory Access.

Basically it means that your device (via the controller) can have direct access to your memory without going via the CPU.

Now as the CPU is handling thousands of instructions, this provides a fsater way for 'data' to get onto your dvd, without waiting for the CPU to address it for you.

PIO mode is the other which is the slower data rate, as this is predominately controlled via the CPU.
    Your PC may often return to this setting if the reader has encountered a 'very difficult to read' disc etc, as the PC will revert to a slower transfer setting in order to try and obtain the information.

If it does, an either uninstall of the drive (software) or (usually) uninstall of the IDE controller (software) connected to the drive will return the settings to DMA.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  8. loco63

loco63 Member

thank you. that information appears valuable.

i also checked my dvd shrink settings. i am unable to find exactly where you make the change to the target size of the dvd. although it says on the screen where you choose burn to disc or hard drive that the target size is 4333xx .

im not having any luck here. my results continue to be the same. :(

9. kchev

kchev Regular member

1. choose edit
    2. choose preferences
    3. on preferences tab, on drop down menu select "custom" and enter value (4300, 4350, etc.)

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

if that doesn't help, may want to try different media :)