1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error message, please help

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tonytygr, Feb 28, 2007.

1. tonytygr

tonytygr Member

I get the error message : Failed to initialize ASPI device, the specified module could not be found. I have totally erased DVD shrink from my computer, redownloaded the program, reopened and reran the new program and it still says the same thing. It does it on my DVD player or burner it doesn't matter, and on every movie. It worked fine until last week. Please advise. Thank you

2. ZCS626

ZCS626 Regular member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  3. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Does the message pop up as soon as you try to open files in Shrink or does it occur when you go to burn? Also, what burner software are you using with Shrink and what operating system is in use on your PC? If XP, it doesn't have an ASPI layer of it's own. Programs like Nero incorporate their own ASPI layer inside the program.

5. tonytygr

tonytygr Member

Yes the message pops up as soon as I try to open DVD Shrink. I use Any DVD and DVD Clone and I do have Windows XP. It has worked fine for over a year, then all of a sudden last week that error message popped up?????

6. tonytygr

tonytygr Member

I just tried the ASPI setup you suggested but it still reads the same error. Thank you though.

7. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

tonytygr
    Do you get the same ASPI error if AnyDVD isn't turned on?
    Do you remember if you installed any programs about the time the problem started? Did you try a restore point prior to the problem?

Installing ASPI layers to XP is unnecessary unless you have a program that specifically calls for it. To date I've not seen adding an ASPI layer cure anything unless it's one of the situations where a program called for it and the user forgot to add it. I use a bunch of recording software, I'd say more than most people. And I've yet to need ASPI, other than that included in programs like Nero. If the ASPI layer isn't installed properlly, it can cause additional problems. I hope you got it right. The nice thing is it sometimes cures problems, but when installed properly, it doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  9. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

tonytygr,

Lets back track here.....

ERROR message:
    [bold]DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Failed to initialize ASPI device
    The specified module could not be found.
    [/bold]

[bold]NOTE: If you have the preview option enabled in shrink, disable it by unchecking the preview box.[/bold]

-First, Shrink itself doesn't require a functional aspi layer to run, so the uninstall and reinstall of shrink won't help, sorry:(

-The device/s shrink uses to open the disk (ie..your burner/DVD-ROM drive) do require a functional one, WinXP comes with its own (SPTI), but if something is wrong with it......you may get the "Failed to initialize ASPI device" error message shrink is giving because a functional aspi layer/driver is required to communicate to these devices.

Now for a couple of possible causes......
    1) A corrupt ASPI layer as already stated above
    2) Corrupt DVD-Player software installed on your PC, or a corrupt DVD decoder

Solution 1:
    Not sure exactly what you tried, but try this...The Nero site freely provides a functional ASPI layer/driver (WNASPI.DLL) that can be used to correct/replace a corrupted one. You can download it from here:

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/WNASPI32.DLL.html

Once you've download it, simply copy/paste the file in your C:\windows\system folder. Once the file has been put in the specified folder, reboot the PC for the change to take effect.

ForceASPI is another option
    http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

Solution 2:
    A DVD can't be viewed/played unless you first install DVD playback software which includes a DVD decoder, it's possible that the software, the decoder, or both maybe corrupt. Uninstall your DVD playback software, reboot if instructed to do so, reinstall the software package, reboot if instructed.

After you've completed both suggestions, retry using shrink.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

ASPI is just one of a number of interface drivers used. Anyone familiar with DVD Decrypter will notice the list below.

ASPI-WNASPI32.DLL
    ASAPI-ASAPI.DLL
    SPTI-Microsoft
    ElbyCDIO-Elaborate Bytes
    Patin-Couffin-VSO Software

Here's what some of the acronyms stand for:
    ASPI - Advanced SCSI Programming Interface
    ASAPI - Apache Server Application Programming Interface
    SPTI - SCSI Pass Through Interface

ASPI is from ADAPTEC and the microsoft interface is SPTI. ASPI and the others will work in the Windows environment. But as I mentioned, normally XP has only SPTI unless it specificly needs another interface driver for some particular program or piece of hardware. Programs like Nero have their own ASPI layer. Sometimes the Nero ASPI can be a problem.

Here's a post on ASPI from Cynthia at DD:

Here's one of the best sites I've seen for explaining ASPI.
    http://aspi.radified.com/

The best way I've seen to install ASPI, or to clean up and install is using the tools and drivers that come with ForceASPI. The latest version I could find is ForceASPI 1.8
    http://force_aspi_18.w.interia.pl/

The aspichk.exe is handy for checking the current version of ASPI and it's condition.

Some say the ForceASPI 1.7 is more compatible with most systems, but I'm not sure about XP. The radified site goes over it well and explains the ForceASPI tools better than some other sites.
    http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

Here's some info on sorting out ASPI drivers.
    http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/aspi.htm

It's obvious something happened to the drive interface. Initially you might have removed the ASPI from Nero and tried seeing if that was the problem. As far as ASPI goes, it might have been the only layer you had to deal with at the time. If it were me, I'd remove the ASPI layer you installed using the ForceASPI tools and remove the Nero and use the Nero clean tool. Run a reg cleaner and reboot. You'll still have the SPTI interface. If it's working properly, you should be able to burn with programs using the SPTI interface. Try opening a disc with Shrink and do a burn with ImgBurn. If clearing out the ASPI layer stopped the problem, it was probably the ASPI layer in Nero. If you still get the error, check to see if there are other interface drivers besides the XP - SPTI. Hopefully you won't need to reload Windows, but it's been known to happen. I'd do that before spending days to track down an elusive problem. Check out the links I gave you and hopefully you'll find something to help. If you haven't started reading yet, start with the Radified information.

11. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Yea Yea, what I said.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

;) With additions. I was just clearing up an item or two and adding links for informational purposes. SPTI is an interface, but not an ASPI interface. The other interfaces I noted are also different. I've been down the ASPI path before. I'm not trying to compete on who can write the best post nor do I need to edit to embellish the content. Just trying to get the info out to the member in need. Both posts on the topic have their value and tonytygr can take from them what he needs. However at this point I think it would be best to follow my suggestion and use ForceASPI tools to clean off any ASPI layer and remove Nero entirely with the cleaner tool. Then there should be no ASPI unless there's another program loaded with the ASPI software included. I think I pointed out a good starting point on how to solve the problem. Once the problem is solved Nero can be reloaded and it's ASPI layer will be loaded with it instead of trying to repair it.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You only answered one of the questions I asked. You never told me if you tried turning off AnyDVD to see if you get a different error or no error when you open a DVD. It's not that difficult to reload, so I would save the keys and remove all recording software if the problem persists after removing the ASPI layer and Nero with it's layer. Sometimes viruses and adware have a strange effect on software. So on an outside chance and as a matter of good housekeeping, run ad aware and spybot to clean out the adware and then run your antivirus software. Run a reg cleaner and reboot. Then with a squeaky clean system start adding one program at a time. Go with Shrink first. If you get the error reading with no software with an interface to the drives except Windows SPTI, then you know it's time for a Windows reload to straighten up corrupted system drivers.

14. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Hey Pac, it's all about helping not about competing posts;)
    Editing for me is for correcting type O's and to clearify something that may of been incomplete or confusing....embellishing???

But....

ASPI-WNASPI32.DLL
    ASAPI-ASAPI.DLL
    SPTI-Microsoft
    ElbyCDIO-Elaborate Bytes
    Patin-Couffin-VSO Software

DVD decrypter cares about these, shrink could care less. As far as the OS, ASPI-WNASPI32.DLL and SPTI-Microsoft are important.

Nero really has nothing to do with the issue on hand, Nero installs the driver in its own directory and is used exclusively by Nero as shown here:

ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core\Wnaspi32.dll'

The only thing the OS cares about is what's in here..C:\windows\system or C:\system32

All you'll get is a fresh install of Nero, if there was a problem with the Wnaspi32.dll file, the reinstall will correct it, but will do nothing to help the OS if its drivers are corrupt, just Nero. The only way the OS can benefit from the Wnaspi32.dll file is to copy/paste it in the C:\windows\system folder as suggested. Also the Wnaspi32.dll file can easily be repaired if corrupt without having to uninstall/reinstall Nero, simply copy/past a fresh copy of the file in the Nero directory replacing the old one then rebooting.

I agree that using the tool found on the ForceASPI site to delete/remove the existing ASPI drivers (if corrupt) and then using it to install new ones is a good option, but copying and pasting the Wnaspi32.dll file in the C:\windows\system folder as suggested would of yielded the same result.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I remember saying something along those lines.

As for the different interface drivers, I brought those up as examples because you said windows XP had it's own ASPI in the form of SPTI. We know what you meant, its own interface driver, but someone not familiar would assume SPTI was an ASPI driver.

A healthy XP system doesn't need Wnaspi32.dll in the system folder. I would advise against that suggestion unless using ForceASPI to do the installation correctly. The one site I listed said ForceASPI 1.8 worked with XP and Radified said 1.7 wasn't tested with XP. If it's going to be added to XP, at least it should be done right. Plus with the aspichk.exe tool the condition can be checked once installed. Personally, I don't think adding ASPI to XP is the solution, repairing the interface corruption is.

My suggestion about Nero went along with the one to remove any ASPI layer that had been installed previously. Removing Nero had a twofold purpose. To eliminate the program as a possible problem and to remove the interface driver (wnaspi32.dll). It's a no brainer the problem is with the interface. By limiting the system to the Windows SPTI, if Shrink still gives the error, the system drivers are corrupted. My suggestion is starting where XP is supposed to be, SPTI only, and see if the problem exists. If not, add programs one at a time till the error shows. If it doesn't the problem is cured. I hope it doesn't come to reloading windows, but it may. It's really not that big a deal. It's not as bad as a fresh format and rebuild.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

johnl123
    As I said, I'm here to help, not argue or compete. I've stated my thoughts on the problem. Too many chiefs or too many chefs, the Indians or the soup gets too stirred up. LOL I'll set back and you can help tonytygr solve his problem. I'm interested to see how it turns out. If ASPI cures the problem, I'll bet something else is done along with the addition of ASPI. It usually works out that way. As I said before, I've yet to see ASPI fix a problem with XP, other than when it's specifically needed for a particular software or hardware. The system worked fine till recently without it. What happened or what changed to cause the problem? I'm still wondering if system restore was ever tried. It may be too late now. Good luck.