1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Message

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by scottreek, Dec 21, 2004.

1. scottreek

scottreek Member

When i try to copy using DVD shrink, about halfway through i get

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue"
    Failed to read file k:\
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I have reloaded the K: drive and all my discs work on that drive so I know the drive is good. I can copy using the re-author and backup but when i try to open the disc, i get the above message.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

Just a suggestion, maybe un-install Shrink and download another Shrink and then re-install.......just a thought.

3. scottreek

scottreek Member

Thanks Bardie

I have actually reinstalled DVD Shrink and also installed DVD Decrypter and get an error message with an error reading a file on the drive, but again, I do not have any problems reading any discs, including the DVD's I am trying to burn

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey scottreek, cyclitic rudundancy check means you have a :scratched,dirty,defective-bum- disk. Is this on your original disc?The analyzing hits a bad spot on the disc and just keep going around in circles and can't get past the defect. Look at it carefully. I just had that this morning on anacondas and got that error right off the bat. Turned out to be a big fat fingerprint. I cleaned it with eye glass cleaner and silk rag. This fixed that problem.Sometimes you get a defective "bum" disc out of the package. If cleaning don't help,you may be able to use dvd decrypter and set it to rip at brute force and ignore all read errors. Hope this may help

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sorry, I forgot to add: if it does make it through the initial analyzation, then it can still error out in the encoding process when it hits that certain spot. happy holidays

6. scottreek

scottreek Member

Thanks saugman

Well that seemed to work. It was wierd because after I read your post, i was like no way that could be it because I had tried three different movies. But i went looked at those movies and thanks to my little girls there where finger prints on them and then i tried a movie we just got the day before and it burned fine and i cleaned one of the three i tried earlier and it worked, so I was wrong and I really appreciate your help and I am glad it was something simple

Thanks

Scott

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey scott,glad to see you got them backing up now. Looks like you had "little skinny" fingerprints,lol "Happy Holidays"