1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Message

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Ank_3, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Ank_3

Ank_3 Member

Hey

I tried burning Forrest Gump with DVD Shrink and when i played it in my DVD Player (which is DVD+/-RW compatible) and i got an error message saying that its not compatible in this region or something. Help Please.....

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

what brand of blank media are you using? and what speed are you burning at

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sounds like there is a region code problem. Is the DVD coded the same as the region you live in? US is in region 1 and the UK is region 2, just to give you an idea on regions if you're not familiar. Different country and different regions. Occasionally the region code gets off or a disc from another region occasionally finds its way to the wrong player. Using software like AnyDVD makes DVDs region free. With some software you can record the wrong code to a DVD and it won't play in your player. A quick check would be to download the AnyDVD trial, turn it on and try playing the dvd then.

4. Ank_3

Ank_3 Member

sony 4.7 GB and 3x with Nero 6

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I meant the region code of the video you're trying to play. Did you try downloading the AnyDVD trial?

6. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@Ank_3

DVd shrink will make your backup region free (I believe that this is the default setting upon install), but...

I believe your getting this message because of the format the video files are in, meaning NTSC or PAL. Region 1 DVDs use the NTSC format and region 2 use PAL.

So for example: if you have a region 1 DVD and wish to play the movie/backup in a Region 2 area, you'll need to convert the files to a PAL format.

One of the best ways to do this is to use convertxtodvd, it's not free, but appears to be a good buy if you do this often.
    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I was recently doing Pal to NTSC conversion for a movie I couldn't get on DVD in region 1. Once the files were made region free, I could play the PAL on my NTSC hardware. The problem was that the format had part of the picture off the screen. It looked like a widescreen converted to pan and scan. I didn't get any error messages, though I knew the PAL content was still there and effecting the video output. Possibly some of the older hardware might give the error. So I'll not say it couldn't happen. But I'll ask again, Have you downloaded the AnyDVD trial and used it? Not only does it bypass region codes, in the informatin window it will tell the format the DVD files are in, NTSC or PAL. If the format is mismatched for a player, then you would need to pay attention to johnl123's input on conversion. I use both Nero Vision 4 and ConvertXtoDVD with equal success.

8. Ank_3

Ank_3 Member

hey

sorry just got a little busy with university stuff. I dled the trial of Anydvd but, it saved the menus as video, not as menus. I'll try to burn it to a DVDRW just to see if it works. Would burning it to a DVDRW do anything else, because i did that the first time. Region Code 1

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Everything in a video is video format, Video_TS with IFO, BUP, and VOB files. Audio and menus are contained as well as the video. Recording to RW should have no different effect other than some standalone players don't support the format. I have a player that does and occasioanlly record and play video I don't intend to keep.

10. Ank_3

Ank_3 Member

it ripped the dvd as being almost 8 gbs with anydvd, how do i compress it?

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I do believe this is the Shrink forum. Give it a try, it's free. You can find guides here at AD and there's a few at http://www.dvdshrink.info/ If you want to spend some money, you can get DVDCopy5, Recode2 (In Nero), CloneDVD 2, RB Pro or one of the many other transcoders or encoders out there.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  12. Ank_3

Ank_3 Member

i have shrink that what i used the first time and it didnt work. You know if i can make it region free with shrink?

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Use RipIt4Me and you'll end up with a region free copy. That way the files will even be loaded in Shrink for you. You should have Shrink already loaded. Load DVD Decrypter and then use the Ripit4Me installer to load RI4M and the FixVTS. Do a quick read of the guide. Use the 1-Click method and select FixVTS. Then wait for it to open in Shrink. http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html If you don't know how to use Shrink read one of the guides here at AD or try the ones at http://www.dvdshrink.info/ . For some of the newer movies you'll need to update the FixVTS. You can get the download here at AD.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  14. Ank_3

Ank_3 Member

thanks ill try it out

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. Best of all it's free.