1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error please insert disc 1. Help!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Jynx77, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Jynx77

Jynx77 Guest

I've downloaded Doom 3 to test it out, since there's no demo yet. ;)

Anyways, I'm using Daemon Tools for a virtual cd-rom, and after installing Doom 3. I've tried to run it. And all it says is "Please insert Doom3 Disk 1, select OK and restart application."

I am using the correct cue.file. So what's the deal?

Please help.

2. Jynx77

Jynx77 Guest

I've also burnt it to a disc, and it does the same damn thing!

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This is piracy and therefore you will not be helped. Your only other post to our forums was questionable (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/98563) so I highly suggest reading the forum rules (especially #5) before posting again. We're happy to help with anything but piracy :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

4. Banditus

Banditus Member

I bought the game, and I get this same error message. I followed all the directions on Activision's FAQ as well, they were all the usual canned responses though. I'm running Windows XP Pro, and I more than exceed the min system reqs (1024 MB RAM, GeForce 4 TI4400 video, 1.9 ghz AMD Athlon XP processor, Lite-On CD/DVD-ROM drive, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Audio) I'm incredibly frustrated, and certain that this is a result of poorly implemented piracy protection software, anyone have any ideas, I've sent an email to Activision, but I fear they'll just direct me to their canned tech support answer section, and it will take them a few days to do even that -_-

5. Banditus

Banditus Member

Oh, and in case you were wondering...yes, the CD is in the drive.

6. Nephilim

Hi,

Some of the newer protections won't run in certain old drives as well as refuse to run if there are virtual drives installed.

If you don't have the newest firmware for your drive it might help to update it and you might also try uninstalling any virtual drives if you happen to have any :)

7. Banditus

Banditus Member

I've got a Lite-On DVD-ROM drive, fairly new, less than a year old.

I don't even have CD-Burning software installed on this system, nor have I ever had any. This also includes any sort of CD-Emulation software as well. This computer is about as clean as they come.

I'm using 32-bit drivers for the CD-ROM, etc etc, the disc itself could be bad, but that is highly unlikely I believe. If I can't find a work-around, I'll exchange it for a new copy of the game, and see how that goes.

I'll attempt an update of my firmware on the DVD-ROM in the meantime, however, I don't believe that should be an issue...only one way to find out.

8. Nephilim

From your last post I can't see any reason why it shouldn't run.

Is your Lite On a 166 or 165? I have the 166S and just this afternoon I installed Doom 3 with it and play the game using it so I'd find it surprising if it was a problem with the drive.

Let us know if the new copy works or not :)

Here's a link to firmwares and tweaks for Lite On ROMs if you're interested (you have to hit the little "menu" tab on the left to get them):

http://digi.rpc1.org/rpc.htm

9. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

I rushed out to Best Buy today to finally get my
    hands on the long awaited Doom3, and after installng it, I get the same error: Please insert DOOM 3 Disk 1, select OK, and restart application

Obviously the CD is in the drive it was installed on, and still get this error message. How do I fix this????

I have far exceeded the system requirements: AMDXP3200, Radeon9800, 1GB ram, Creative Labs PC-DVD 16X DVD drive, SB Audigy sound card, XP Pro, no virtual drive.

I opened a case with activision, hopefully they'll have a solution.

Thanks,
    Cal

10. Nephilim

These problems are going to be more and more common as they ramp up protections.

I'm on VoIP right now with with a buddy that's having the exact same "cannot find disc 1" error, new Lite On 166S, no emulation software and no virtual drives but the bastard game still won't work.

The strange thing is that I have emulators and a virtual drives installed but mine runs fine.

11. heneseeee

heneseeee Member

I'm having a different problem... I'm installing Doom 3
    it told me to enter the 2nd cd... and it cant find this file.. "pak001.pk4" i've tried in both my drives... doesnt work.

12. Banditus

Banditus Member

I had to use a no-cd crack to play the game -_-

Funny how all this cd-copy protection is completely ineffective against those who illegally use the game, and only causes headaches for those who actually bought it. CD-Copy protection is a huge waste of developer support time, and money. People can get around any form of cd-copy protection, and, as is the issue with Doom III, it causes a huge headache for many paying customers...but I may be preaching to the choir here.

13. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

Banditus can you point me to the crack, I'm pissed that I paid $60 (inc tax) and can't play the fricking game!!! I'm sure that activision is going to come back with some lame ass answer, and I was totally looking forward to playing D3 this weekend.

14. Nephilim

I feel your pain but providing a link to a crack is piracy, against the forum rules and will get you banned.

15. Nephilim

This doesn't happen with an original.......

16. Banditus

Banditus Member

I called up Activision's tech support, they claim they're looking into the problem, and the guy I spoke to said that it is very common, and the best he could tell me was to try a different CD-ROM drive. He said that it looks like the cd-copy protection they're using is causing problem with many drive types, in particular, Lite-On CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, and CD-RW Drives.

He told me "About the only thing I can suggest you do at the moment is to attempt to try to install a different CD-ROM drive in your computer until this problem is remedied."

If anyone is having similar problems like this, I can help you out if you message me on AIM, my handle is ButterBand1t

I'll keep you posted on what I find out, I'm going to be hounding activision about this until there is a definitive fix.

17. Nephilim

That's the spirit!

18. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

Hey Banditus I don't use AIM, but could you please email me at b_severn@yahoo.SPAM.com (remove the SPAM) as I'm in the same boat, and that's really a lame answer from activision....change you're CD-ROM drive to play our game...WTF?? I do have a case open w/them, but so far nothing but an automated response - Thanks!

19. haz2288

haz2288 Member

hi there i have the same prob with em exept they just seem to put me on sistem hold all the time.

20. Banditus

Banditus Member

I was on hold for about 20 minutes when I called, even though they'll tell you the same thing they told me, call them anyways, make sure they know how many people are having this problem. The larger the number, the more serious it will be, and that will move it up on their priority list.