1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error saying "Current DVD size is too big"

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mcclaine, Dec 30, 2004.

1. mcclaine

mcclaine Guest

hi, i've been using DVD Shrik for some time now, use it with about 40 titles, and never had this problem.
    while trying to backup The Best Of Bowie dvd compilation, DVD Shrink tells me that the projected iso we'll be larger than the blank dvd space. (The file size that project is 4.610 mb)

this is very strange as i have set it up with automatic compression. and if i try with Custom Compression it does not let me compress any further.

So, does any of you had this problem before?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes that file size is too big. Blank dvds can only hold 4.36 gig. Set the target size in Shrink to 4300. That should get it down enough to fit.

Jerry

3. mcclaine

mcclaine Guest

thanks for your reply.
    but in preferences, i have target dvd size set to DVD-5 (4464mb) so i don't know why the software now is not compressing enough to let the iso smaller.
    also, i try with another dvd title of the same size (around 7.5gb), and it worked ok.

4. mcclaine

mcclaine Guest

well, i did try what you said, but is not doing nothing. it desn't change the compression.
    it keeps displaying the same 4.610mb.
    isn't this just strange?!?!

5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Music video DVD's can be hard to shrink because they have more audio that can't be compressed. What types of audio are on the DVD? Are there any audio streams that you can remove? For example if it has AC3 audio and some other types of audio you may remove those other types.

When you open a disc a quick analysis is done. Sometimes that quick analysis is not very accurate as to how much compression can be applied. Try clicking the Analysis button and let it do a deep analysis. I have had disc's where the quick analysis said that the size was 300MB over, but once deep analysis was done it could get the size down to about 4475MB. This is larger than we normally like but is within the dvd specs and can be burned on a high quality disc.

[bold]DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes[/bold]
    DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
    DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
    DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )

If removing some audio is not possible and if using deep analysis does not get it to size that can be burned, then you will have to shrink twice.

Shrink once to a Hard Drive Folder or a ISO Image File, then open that and shrink it a second time.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  6. TuVan

TuVan Member

why don't you try to split it up into 2? sometimes the compress has a limit, you can't compress any futher.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

One other thing you may have overlooked -

You may well have the DVD done twice, once for full screen and once for wide screen. Use re-author and delete the one you don't want - you can tell which is which by playing them in the preview mode before you are ready to hit Backup.

It is so rare that in over 800 backups, I've never seen it once.There is a way, your task is to find it -

Pete

Happy New Year

8. mcclaine

mcclaine Guest

thanks to all of you for your replys, but unfortunately, i coulnd't make it with DVD Shrink.
    The only way i've found was to Re author the dvd, but i did loose all menus and stuff.
    Anyway, just hope my original never get damaged.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
  9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You know, I have come across 2 or 3 dual layer DVD videos that shrink was not able to fit on a single layer disk. When you click on the "Open Disc" button and it does its initial analyzation, keep an eye on the green bar at the top and make sure there is no red showing before you back it up. Shrink could only compress to 50%. I wish I could remember the movies where this happens because I have over 800 DVDs in my collection and I don't feel like checking each one of them.

10. mcclaine

mcclaine Guest

now that we are in this topic, i have another related question. the first time you open a disc, or open a file in DVD Shrink, it does an analizing that takes about 30 seconds (at least on my computer) that helps the program to show the content (languages, subtitles, etc).
    Then everytime you open those same files, it doesn't do it again.
    My questions is: where does the program keeps that information? i've checked on the temp folders, and inside DVD Shrink folders and found nothing. Does any of you know that?

11. Veblin

Veblin Active member

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink

Application Data is a hidden folder so if you don't see it you will have to show hidden folders.

Tools > Folder Options... > View tab > Advanced settings: Show hidden files and folders

12. mcclaine

mcclaine Guest

thank you, Veblin.
    and can i remove those files?

13. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Yes, you can remove them. The smaller files contain the quick analysis that happens when you open a dvd or open files or a ISO. The larger files also contain any deep analysis that was done.

Of course if you remove them then any analysis or deep analysis done for that disc would have to be done again for that disc.

14. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

You could always down-load the Trial versions of CloneDVD2 & Anydvd and give this a go. It wont cost you anything. I've done over 40 music DVD's and all worked sweet.

Here is the link:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Have Fun

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mccalaine, wolfniggr,

Not so my friend, DVD Shrink can always be done 2X.
    Run it through with DA and Quality settings THEN go to that file, pick it up and do it all over again.

Let me also state that I haven't come across any DVD that wouldn't fit if enough audio wasn't removed AND if you didn't take the "Extras" and "Unreferenced Materials", set the compression settings to custom and compressed just them to the MAX (not stills that won't work BUT to Max files that still will work). So far, I haven't seen any that needed complete compression if the last steps were used -

Never give up on DVD Shrink :)

HOWEVER if you wish to re-author and keep your menus ~ ~> Use Nero's recode 2, Remake a DVD and menus will be fine. Works the same as DVD Shrink (actually easier) but keeps your menus -

Cheers,

Pete :)