1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error screens

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kattkitty, Feb 6, 2007.

1. kattkitty

kattkitty Member

Hi. Can someone please help me? My DvdShrink program has been working just fine for a long time now, but today, I get an error screen that say "DvdShrink cannot continue" and Cannot read file E.
    I have uninstalled the program and installed it back and it still says the same thing. What I can do to fix the problem to I can continue copying my dvds? Thanks for any help.
    Katt

2. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Hi KattKitty

Are you using shrink all by itself? If so it is probably the issue. many of the newer encryptions can not be handled by Shrink by itself.

Try visiting http://www.ripit4me.org This program uses a few others with Shrink to turn it BACK into the best tool around. There is a guide to read that is also very useful. Make sure you download the installer and the regular file then run the installer. It will put all the file pointers into the correct path. You will need to have Shrink and DVDDecrypter installed BEFORE you run the installer. (there are links to them on the ripit site if you don't already have it)

IF YOU ARE using Shrink with the ripit suite (or AnyDVD, but any is having some hiccups with shrink lately) Try doing a defrag and reg cleaner before you reinstall. Ccleaner is a good one.

Let me know if it works for you, if not we will re-group and try again.

3. kattkitty

kattkitty Member

Hi. I tried other dvds and the dvd shrink program started working properly. I guess some dvds wont work with the program. should i go ahead and install the dvdcrypter program you told me about anyway? and if so, do i use that one instead of dvdshrink when i copy dvds?
    katt

4. kattkitty

kattkitty Member

I forgot tell you that i have anydvd that i use also. i have nerosmart start burning program on my pc as well. thanks.
    katt

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

6. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

This is similar to my setup. YES do go and use the ripit4me. I bet it will do that problem disk for you. I am convinced that this was an encryption issue. What movie was not working btw? Ripit will do all of them. Albiet a little slower than the pay programs. Disable or quit AnyDVD when you do the install and when u use ripit. I am pretty sure it will ask you to to this anyhow.

AnyDVD works best with CloneDVD2. It is having some issues with Shrink by itself lately.

Ripit4me is a macro/secondary program launcher that uses DVDDecrypter, AND DVDShrink. It also uses fixvts but you will not have to worry about installing that by yourself. It will do it for you.

So if you have shrink, go to the link on the ripit page (at the bottom) and Download DVDDecrypter. Make sure Decrypter and Shrink are both installed. When you have the ripit file and their installer downloaded , double click the installer .exe and it will put everything in the right place.

Then when it is installed use the one click mode and it will run (mostly) for you. The only thing you will have to do is click the icon in decrypter that looks like the DVD to start it. AND after shrink has done it's thing you will need to click the harddrive icon in dvddecrypter to burn. You won't need your nero. DVDDecrypter will burn it for you.

I'll check back to see how you are doing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  7. kattkitty

kattkitty Member

Hi. I have had the DvdCrypter on my pc before but took it off b/c when I started doing a dvd, the time said "4 hours". that is way to long for me to wait. the Ripit4me, i hope, is not like that, is it?
    let me know before I download it and try it. i hope it is also an easy program to use. i am not exactly pc literate. lol thanks,
    katt
    p.s. the dvd i was trying to copy was The Guardian and also Open Season.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I gave you two guides that will walk you step by step on the process of using either DVDFD or RI4M. Both are fairly simple and you shouldn't have any issues. RipIt4me requires the use of DVD Decrypter though and i am not sure why it would take 4 hours for DVD Decrypter to rip your movie as it is probably the fastest ripper out there? You may have had some other issues at that time I would reccomend giving it another shot.

9. kattkitty

kattkitty Member

Hi. do you have the link to download DvdDecrypter? I cant seem to find it. thanks, katt

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You can pick up a copy at http://www.Doom9.org or http://www.MrBass.org .

It looks like Kitty has a good take on your problem. You don't need programs to replace DVD Shrink, you just need some to help with the improved copy protection. A lot of programs need that help. In fact most of the newer transcoding software don't incorporate decryption software. That's how they fly under the radar and remain for sale on most all markets. Due to the international copyright agreements, the decryption software is against the law in most areas. I believe the 321 case is currently the legal precedent in the US. But enough of history, all you need is some good decryption software to go with the DVD Shrink. Without spending a bunch of money, I'd suggest the free RipIt4Me. It does more in the lines of cleanup for compliance as well as bypassing the copy protection. Plus it can do it in a 1-Click mode once set up.

Now you have the links for Decrypter, all you need to do is have both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter installed before using the RI4M installer (not the zip files). Let everything install to the default position and you shouldn't even have to set any paths for programs in the setup.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've seen DVD Decrypter by itself tackle some of the new copy protection and start reading errors and retrying and retrying. I was doing it just to see what would happen. After about 45-60 minutes I shut it down because it was just "spinning it's wheels". RI4M gives DVD Decrypter a new lease on life by creating PSL files to direct if through the problem sectors. I've seen this before with wizard style programs, but RI4M fully automates the process. The PSL2 plugin with PgcEdit readily comes to mind.

BBmayo
    I'm aware you probably know what I was saying about the PSL files, but I added that for those who don't.

12. kattkitty

kattkitty Member

hi. i downloaded the programs ripit and dvd decrypter. but now what? i dont know to do next. i opened up the ripit and it did its thing but now what? do i open up dvd shrink or what? help.
    katt

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Now you get to delete the program if you didn't have DVD Decrypter installed first. Either that or go into the Logs/Settings and set the path for DVD Decrypter. The official guide at the RI4M site is both short and concise. I'd suggest giving it a once over. You may want to look over my little tutorial for doing Saw 3 (just look for the photo "how to" about half way down the page). It's mostly on how to set up RI4M. Just use the updated versions of the RI4M and let everything install to the default directory. I'll emphasize it again, have both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter installed before using the RipIt4Me installer. The official guide for RI4M is at http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html .

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

15. kattkitty

kattkitty Member

I am sorry but I dont mean to sound stupid but I have a question.
    I did download dvd decrypter and I already have anydvd and dvdshrink on my pc. I used ripit for a dvd (open season) and it is now on my computer. How can I burn it onto a blank dvd? I really dont know what to do? Thanks for your help in this situation. katt
    p.s. when I went to log/settings in ripit, I saw at the bottom :

path to dvddecrypter,
    path to dvdshrink
    path to FixVts.exe

dont know if this means anything to you, it doesnt to me.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Click on the link my little tutorial. in my previous post. Half way down the page you will find a tutorial on how to do a movie as well as install RipIt4Me It's the short version with pictures and runs you through opening a movie till it opens in Shrink. Once opened in Shrink it is the same as using it on it's own, the RI4M is done. Lets not make this harder than it actually is. With the RI4M set up, you open your video in RI4M and use the 1-Click method. Then the files open in Shrink. Use Shrink as you normally would. When RI4M tells you to turn off AnyDVD it means it. They don't play well together.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you already have it on your hard drive just open it up in DVD Shrink under "Open file" and use Shrink as you normally would from there.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If the file didn't open up in Shrink, I don't think you set the program up properly as the guides suggested. But if it worked and ripped to the hard drive, bbmayo is right, open the files in Shrink as you normally would. If it doesn't analyze the files, that means you did something wrong. If it does, you're on your way to transcoding the movie.

19. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

@bb & pac - did this even get a chance to go through the fixvts if her settings were not right?????????

I would suggest trying the WHOLE thing over again. AFTER you fix the file pointers as shown in pacman's mini guide. You have to click the little box with the dot in it to browse for the exe file names when setting up the files.

Let us know how this is going.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Kitty
    As I suggested, it would have probably been easier for a beginner to simply delete the program, leave DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter installed, (or install them as necessary) and then use the RI4M installer. Though setting the paths would be easy for us, along with everything else at startup, it could require some reading and be confusing for a beginner. Set up properly the default settings work and the user can use the program in 1-click while learning more about the program.

No way of knowing for sure, but I doubt it did things properly. Without a path set to DVD Decrypter, how could RI4M work properly? Without being on the same page and knowing what happened with the install, there's no way of knowing how things are going, just that things aren't happening the way they should.