1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error trying to rip DVD with Nero and DVD Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by eerieb, Sep 2, 2004.

1. eerieb

eerieb Member

I have been using nero and dvd decrypter to rip and burn my dvds. I had to reinstall windows XP, ever since then i havent been able to rip a dvd with dvd decrypter it gets so far then just keeps retrying, ive tried to copy a backed up disc using nero it gets to about 90% of creating the image and fails. I read somewhere about not being able to write a single file of more than 4Gb to a HDD. Is this the reason, (it didnt seem to matter before). My computer is very close to the window and i am getting a bald heid.
    Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. eerieb

eerieb Member

Im using NTFS, the error message on nero says burn process failed, thats before i even get to burn, it fails about 90% into creating the image. dvd decrypter gets to about 90% of the first VOB, sticks and just retrys. Ive also tried DVD Shrink tonight but i get to 90% again and it stops.

4. Nephilim

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  5. eerieb

eerieb Member

no ive tried it with 3 different discs, last week everything worked fine, but since i reinstalled windows ive no end of problems

6. Nephilim

It might help to install an ASPI layer. ASPI is a small driver layer that sits between your hardware and software that allows them to communicate. ForceASPI is a good one so here's a link to the download and instructions:

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

It'd also be good to check your DMA setting following this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  7. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I've given a fair amount of thought to your problem, which is due to the symptoms you describe. The thing is, rippers and burners use different system resources, and both types shouldn't be acting the same.
    In other words, there is no reason each type of program should be having a problem at 90%.

I have had a problem similar to yours, and it was due to a virus that slipped in before I could get my system completely updated online after a clean install. It tended to cause programs to freeze after a certain amount of time...and even affected routines like defragging. It also initiated a reboot at times. As you are having problems since your XP install anyway, you should really get your OS working properly before attempting to get other programs working. This will likely require another attempt at a clean install.

Whenever I do a clean install, I begin with a zero write to the HDD to eliminate the possibility of a boot sector virus - which I have also come across. I would recommend this if you are going to do another OS install. All drive mfgrs have a download utility for doing this.

8. eerieb

eerieb Member

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

I have tried all that you have suggested, i even went as far as to format my system, but im still getting problems ripping certain DVDs. I thought id try a different program i downloaded AutoGK that was working fine until i had 5 minutes left of the encoding and it just stopped, what am i doing wrong????

9. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

eerieb...

It is difficult to know what is happening without more info. You mentioned that you had problems ripping "certain DVDs" and in the same sentence talk about an encoding that failed. These are two separate problems. Different problems can happen at different times and for different reasons. If a computer system can handle the application, most problems have a simple solution. It just takes a little bit of effort to find which simple solution works. On a worst-case basis a componet may need to be replaced.

While you probably know this, there are 3 steps to backing up a DVD. (1) decrypting, (2) encoding, and (3) burning. Many programs combine 2 of these steps. Be sure you use the proper terms in discussing your problem, and specify what software you were using when the problem occurred. If you don't it can be misleading.

1. Now then, let's start with your system specs. What is the CPU speed, amount of physical memory, available hard drive space, and your DVD burner model?
    2. Were you using Shrink or Nero Recode to encode when it stopped?
    3. What program did you use for decrypting, and what was the DVD?