1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error U99 on Panasonic DMR-HS2

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by dmrhs2, Apr 12, 2005.

1. dmrhs2

dmrhs2 Member

I have a Panasonic HS2 that came up with the dreaded U99 error. I was reading a post that rtjoby wrote reguarding the E85H with the U99 error, that you could replace the hard drive and that would fix the error. I tried replacing the hard drive in my model but without sucess. Is there another way to rid of this problem on the HS2?
    Is there anyway of recovering the hard drive on a pc? I tried booting it through a usb2 external case, i went into computer mangement on windows xp, it picked it up but wouldnt allow me access, is there a trick or some software to get access to it?
    Thanks.

2. E85H

E85H Member

I've recovered very small bits and pieces using direct sector access. The PC CANNOT ACCESS IT through the operating system.. Do NOT let it write a signature... this is enough for it to never be allowed back in the E85 without a format.

What happened when you put another drive in ? This should have let it give an "UNFORMAT" message ?

3. dmrhs2

dmrhs2 Member

When i put in a new hard drive it still came up with error u99.

4. E85H

E85H Member

It would fix the problem due to the Divide Title bug corrupting something.

What was it doing before the U99 ?

5. dmrhs2

dmrhs2 Member

It was working fine before the error. Does it make a difference if the replacement hard drive is new/old or the size of it? The original was a 40 gig maxtor.

6. E85H

E85H Member

I think the first time I tried it on a drive with junk PC data on it I had the same problem. Make sure there are no partitions defined on it, or use a known blank drive.

7. E85H

E85H Member

And I forgot to emphasize that replacing the hard drive only helped get rid of a U99 die to the divide title bug.... If you don't know what's causing your U99 error, then it won't help.

But, I would check the fan, reseat all the cables, etc.