1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Using DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by gary71357, Sep 29, 2004.

1. gary71357

gary71357 Member

I'm having problems burning some DVDs with DVD Shrink (ver. 3.2.0.15). While either in the "analysis" phase or the "encoding" phase, I receive an error message stating "Programming error - exception occurred. Overlapped I/O is in progress." I also tried to use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD but on the specific DVD I'm having problems with, DVD Decrypter shows the size > 7,000,000,000 and the manual says it must be < 4,718,592,000. The DVDs I'm currently having problems with are "Super Size Me" and "The Passion of the Christ". Any ideas on what I need to do or try?

Thanks

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Decrypter can read any size file to your harddrive, it can only write 4.7 to disc unless it's dual layer. It also can only write ISO files. Try ripping in file mode with decrypter to a folder you create on your Hard Drive. I did Passion.....with no problems at all using decrypter just to rip. I then used those files in RB/CCE to compress and burned with nero and had no errors or problems telling me decrypter's rip was fine.

In shrink, do you have checked "enable overlapped I/O"? It's in edit>preference>fileI/O.

3. gary71357

gary71357 Member

Thanks for the response bigorange.

Under my DVD Shrink Preferences -> File I/O, there are 3 check boxes under File I/O settings. The "Enable overlapped I/O - this may increase ripping performance" check box is actually greyed out and not selectable (it shows unselected). The other 2 check boxes are - "Read 32KB blocks (default is 64KB)" - this is unchecked, and "Check RPC2 drive region code when opening a DVD." - this is checked.

I got a user guide from the afterdawn site on Decrypter and followed its instructions that state to select ISO mode, store an ISO image, and burn the image (link is http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr_page_2.cfm). When I try this, I get several files (mainly VOB extensions)- no file with an extension of .DVD as mentioned in the instructions. This guide is also where I say that it said the DVD size displayed after selecting ISO mode should be < 4,718,592,000. Can you please provide me with detailed instructions that you recommend on using the Decrypter as mentioned in your response.

Thanks.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, it's true that decrypter can only write ISO files. I very rarely burn using decrypter, i use nero. However i rip with decrypter all the time, especially if shrink can't do it.

In order to rip and write using decrypter the file must be under 4.7 or have a dual layer burner and dual layer media to burn to. Your problem is you're trying to rip and burn files to a disc with decrypter when the files are larger than 4.7,see? You are missing the second step which is reduce those files so decrypter CAN burn them.

But, decrypter can rip any size file to your hard drive(it's not limited by size like your blank disc is). So, since you say shrink can't rip the movie, i want you to rip it with decrypter in file mode to your hard drive and then open shrink using those files from decrypter. You will then compress and/or edit the files with shrink and then use decrypter to burn them after they have been reduced to 4.37 or less.

here is a simple guide I wrote for shrink that will tell you how to do this. Remember to uncheck "enable burning with nero"(step 7) in shrink and in the target window (that pops up after you hit backup)to choose "burn with decrypter using ISO"(step 9). OK?

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  5. gary71357

gary71357 Member

hi bigorange,

Thanks for all the detailed information. Just to clarify - I am only using Decrypter to rip, I then use Nero to burn.

Let me just back up for a second - I am new to using DVD Shrink and Decrypter. I used to use DVD XCopy but needed to re-install and then couldn't re-activate my license due to company's situation and lack of U.S. support. When I first tried DVD Shrink on Passion of Christ, I received the overlapped I/O error so I tried another movie and was successful. I was using DVD Shrink to rip and Nero to burn onto TDK DVD +R with a Plextor PX 708A burner. When that worked, I searched for reasons why I was receiving the error with Passion Of Christ and learned about DVD Decrypter. I tried that but also received an error. I then tried Decrypter with another movie I was having Shrink problems with and followed all of your great instructions but burned with Nero and it worked - Thanks.

I am still receiving an error like I mentioned even when I only try to rip the movie Passion with Decrypter. The error states "I/O Error" with a bunch of additional info (if you need this, I can send). Any idea on why I am getting this error?

Thanks

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, OK since you were using nero i take it you enabled nero to burn and used your burner as target destination instead of decrypter with ISO.

I would need to see the log, decrypter can pick up on errors and still work thru them or around them. You can also set decrypter on aggressive settings to help it get around files you can't do with shrink. As a ripper decrypter is hard to beat. :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  7. ade_95

ade_95 Guest

dvd shrink R U L E S and you all know it ;)

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

ade_95, Shrink 3.2 is the best "freeware" out there, period. It's amazing that a free app can do such a great job and have so many applications.

That said, it is not the best program out there for DVD backup. Read the threads on Rebuilder/CCE and Intervideo DVDCopy 2. Both can compresss at 50% with no noticeable difference from the original, and that's at 300% magnification. However, they are NOT free. :)

9. ade_95

ade_95 Guest

bigorange i bet i will be able 2 get them 2 progs 4 free somewhere on the net ;) trust me i knonw i can do it

10. korpas

korpas Member

I'm having problems ripping super size me as well.

I assume it is because of my settings, but I am having a hard time figuring out what I am doing wrong.

I have tried using DVD Shrink, but in the analysis part it gets to the same point about 17 seconds to completion and freezes.

Using DVD Decryptor, it gets about 30 minutes in and then gets stuck on a sector where it does 60 retries, gets a couple kb here and there, then gives up.

Any ideas?

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

What is the error messages?

12. korpas

korpas Member

For the analysis DVD Shrink error:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue

Failed to read the file "D:\" (My dvd drive)

Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check).

Still working on the DVD Decryptor error, takes a while to get there.

thanks for any help!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

CRC usually means dirty or scratched discs. You can try cleaning them with vinegar and warm water or soap and warm water. Always wipe from center to edge in straight lines, never in a circular motion.

I have Skip Dr, which works well on scratches, and I just refill the bottles with distilled water :>)