1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dj928, Apr 12, 2007.

1. dj928

dj928 Member

I tried to make a backup of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. I have it set to 4x burn speed to keep playback errors from occurring. I got the error message when it was writing to the DVD. The analysing and shrinking apparently worked OK. I forgot to write the error message down before shutting down decrypter (is there a way to retrieve it from a log of some sort?)

Has anyone had any problems with Goblet of Fire? I have had a fair amount of problems with playback of DVDs after a "successful" copy using the above 2 programs. But, in this case, I couldn't get it to write completely.

Thanks.

2. onya

onya Guest

After using decrypter and then shrink, the files would definetely be fine to burn. Was the error message something like "cyclic redundancy"? Try the burning process again, to verify the error. What media are you using? What app are you using to burn with? (nero..ImgBurn...roxio etc)

3. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Depending on what your settings are, you may still be able to get the log from Decrypter. You can click View>LOG and it will show the events log. But if you do not have it set to save a log on exit,which can be done in Tools>Settings>Events, then you will not get the information for your last burn....

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- no problems with any of young Harry's (awesome) movies encryption-wise, they just need good old DVD Decrypter followed by Shrink or program of your choice, so the problem will indeed be in the burn process (unless you're doing something wrong in Decrypter or Shrink of course - it happens).

5. dj928

dj928 Member

I use Shrink for the process and have it set to use decrypter to burn, so it starts with Shrink and then ends with decrypter automatically. The problem occurred when decrypter was writing to the disc. I use TY discs. If the default setting is to save the log, I will have it. If it's something I would have had to change, I probably won't have it. Thanks.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Even though Shrink and Decrypter are good programs they are both old and outdated. You should have no problems backing up any of the Harry Potter movies with either of those programs. Now with all of that being said there are more up to date (free) programs available at your disposal and they will produce a better copy of any movie (not just the new releases) in my opinion. So lets get you set up with a better way to back up your movies. Take a look at this guide DVDFab,FixVTS,Shrink,ImgBurn try using that and then let us know how your backup comes out then.

Side Note: With movies that are longer (2hrs+) like the Harry Potter movies I highly recommend that you backup only the main movie. These movies require a great deal of compression so the less junk on the disk the better off your overall backup will be. You could go with another option of splitting the movie and put it onto 2 single layer disks or just copy the whole thing to a Dual Layer disk.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

good comments there bbmayo, quite right on all counts; what i had definitely forgotten about young Mr Potter's movies is the compression, especially with the Goblet of Fire. I backed them up with Shrink (main movie only, ok-ish quality considering the compression ratio), though myself and my kids watch all the Potter films very frequently and just happen to only ever use the originals anyway because they're easy to find. Go figure :)

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Decrypter saves the log in the DVD Decypter Program Files folder. Decrypter turns on the Log when you have the program open and enter L or under View select Log. In the DVD Decrypter log window, look under File.

It's not automatic. Without the error we only know you had one. You may have to run the backup again and save the log if it will allow it. Try recording to the hard drive and then using ImgBurn. Better update of the burning software and save the burn log.

9. dj928

dj928 Member

Thanks bbmayo. I always shrink my movies down as much as possible using DVD Shrink. I loaded all the new programs you suggested on your link but ran into a wall when trying to open FixVTS and directing it to the folder where DVDFab had saved the movie. No VOB files show in the box to open. There is also no VIDEO_TS folder there. For fear of creating yet another coaster, I am going to not proceed until I hear back. Thanks :)

Dave

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Click Here for a system that works including instructions. I know the software works because I use it all the time. If you fail it's either in the instructions or you missed something.

As for the missing files with bbmayo's strategy, you probably lost the path. When using DVDFab Decrypter it rips to the HD. You have to pay attention to the folder name and path. If it completes, you have the folder, inside you have a Video_TS folder with all the IFO, BUP and VOB files. You open the Video_TS folder to where you have those files visible. FixVTS should have already been opened. When you open the Video_TS folder you click the FixVTS on the taskbar so it appears over the Video_TS files. Then drag the first VOB onto the FixVTS window and with the appropriate boxes checked, click FullDVD. Wait for the processed output.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  11. dj928

dj928 Member

What system is that again?

I did have the correct path. When I open the folder, the movie file is there and is listed as an image file - but it won't display when I open it in shrink.

I tried to copy the Matrix and ended up with the following error:

I/O error scsistatus 0x02
    Interpretation: check condition
    read (I/O) - sector 247968
    unrecovered read error

When I press continue or try again, it gives me a different sector number with the same error over again until I cancel it.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You used the software improperly. If you had an image file, that means you ripped in ISO. You can't access an ISO with FixVTS. The files have to be ripped in the File mode to be able to process with FixVTS.

Try using the RI4M I suggested and follow the guide and directions. Do not rip in ISO and Do use the 1-Click mode to let the software do the ripping and processing on its own. When the files open in Shrink, and they will if you don't have a bad disc or do something wrong, select create an ISO and let it record to the hard drive. Then open the ISO in a virtual drive and view it with a player program to check the condition of the output before burning. Then use ImgBurn or whatever to burn the ISO. The Harry Potter movies had light encryption and took little work at all to get a backup. Most of the software can do the job. Remember to set your burn speed to a reasonable setting, 8X or less.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You didn't follow the guide exactly because you should have ripped in file mode not ISO or image which is what you have.

14. dj928

dj928 Member

bbmayo, I followed your guide step by step and don't see what I did wrong. I don't see anything about ISO vs file mode. On instruction 32, it states to use "Select ISO image file and burn with Imgburn."

I don't know what the RI4M is or what the difference is between file and ISO. I don't know what 1-click mode is or what a virtual drive is. I have a feeling that if I did, I wouldn't have to be posting here for help. :)

I have used DVD Shrink and Decrypter probably 100 or more times with virtually no error messages. I have, however, had lots of problems with movies freezing at random times during playback. I use TY discs and always burn at 4x speed.

So far, I am 0 for 3 on being able to use Shrink with DVDFab and Imgburn without various error messages.

Thanks.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Which means you didn't set up the software and look at the simple user guide linked to in the simple installation guide. You seem to have a problem with the instructions. Maybe I didn't take into account users who are totally unaware of how to use backup software. Maybe I had best look at my next guide from that perspective. You're the first person to say they couldn't comprehend what I wrote though.

16. dj928

dj928 Member

Pacman, I have tried several times to follow the link you sent me, but I always end up with:

<<Download session invalid>>

Thanks for trying.

17. dj928

dj928 Member

18. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

did you get this error while ripping with DVDFab, basically that error is a read error, which can be caused by scratches on the dvd.

also when using DVDFab did you select Full Disc mode when ripping?
    if you did choose this mode then there should be a whole bunch of files in the folder

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

dj928
    I'm not insulting you. Just stating the fact that you are having problems with instructions. I was unaware you couldn't download the file. That's strange. I just checked the link and did the download in less than 30 seconds on my connection. If you couldn't download the files, then there's no way to know if you could understand the instructions or not. You should have said something. I could have arranged direct downloads from the net. The software is still available from various sites. The collection merely had everything needed in a neat pack along with instructions and handy links. I regret you thought I was being insulting. That wasn't my intent. Excuse me and I'll let the others here help you with your problem. I'm not here to argue with or belittle anyone. We all have to learn sometime and I'm no expert myself. I just know a few things that work.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  20. dj928

dj928 Member

300bowler, I think the error is occuring during the imgburn part of the process. I am unfamiliar with this new process as my past experience has been pretty much only with shrink and decrypter. I did get the listed error messages with at least 2 separate discs that look scratch-free and play fine in all my DVD players. I don't know about the full disc option. I did follow the guide instructions and always take just the movie and reduce it as much as possible to get the best possible quality.