1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Xvid & Ac3

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Achillies, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Achillies

Achillies Member

Hi, i recently downloaded a movie with two splitted file around 700mb each, I joined them with VirtialDubmod with no problems as i have with other movies and converted them to DVD hassle free except this is the first time when I try to encode with TMPGEnc and even TMPGnc XPress i get the following error: Invalid sample format. (error code 0x80048002.

What i wanted to know is, do i need to do anything else with the AC3 audio that i extracted from the movie using vurtuldubmod? do i need to convert it to mp2 and completley remove audio from the movie so movie and audio can be two seperate file to work when i try to encode?? Any help with this would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks

2. Achillies

Achillies Member

um can i get a little help here?

3. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

I am in the same exact situation, I might try taking the ac3 audio out of the .avi file before encoding out, but that means waiting 4 hours to see if it works, oh well.

4. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

uhmm one problem, how do you take out the audio in virtualdub, I've done it once but I can't seem to fine the instructions on it.

5. Achillies

Achillies Member

Hi dev 1insan,i ended up finding a way to do it perfectly bymyself since no one got back to me. The movie i did was resident Evil 2 at the time. the best way it worked for me was i used TMPGEnc XPress, then converted the .avi file to mpg but only using the output stream as ES (Video only)so no audio is encoded. After that the ac3 file i extracted from VirtualDubmod, i then used TMPDEnc Author, loaded the .mpg file in the video input field as normal but then loaded the .ac3 file in the audio field, click begin Output to author the movie and i must say it came out perfect. Audio and video were perfectly in time. I hope this helps

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  6. Achillies

Achillies Member

Hi, further to the ac3 matter, i will give you a more thorough explanation.

- Ok firstly, how to extract the .ac3 from Virtualdubmod, go to the file menu and select Open video file, browse till you find your AVI file and then open it.

- Next go to the Streams menu and select Stream list, In the Stream list window click the DEMUX button, give the file a name and save it.

- Once you have extracted the .ac3 file by using VirtualDubmod, you will need a file called BeSliced.
    Be sliced just looks like a picture when it opens, to use it just drag the .ac3 file over the top of the picture, as you do this a small menu should appear, from this menu select Fix File, a DOS window should open and besliced will be fixing the file when the DOS window closes besliced is finished, you can delete the original AC3 file, the new working AC3 file will have Fixed01 added to the end of the file name.
    [​IMG]

- Now with audio out of the way, you need to know about the video. The first step is to calculate the required bitrate of the video to make the most of the dvd disk. You can download the calculator at http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
    - In the video length field input your video length, if you dont know it, check with the program, "Gspot" as it will tell you. (best to add an extra minute just to play it safe).
    - In the audio bitrate field, set it to match the bitrate of your .AC3 file. Now make a note of the calculated bitrate, this is the bit you need when you encode the video.
    [​IMG]

- The next piece of information you need to know is the videos frame rate, this can be either 23.976, 25 or 29.97 frames per second.
    To find out the frame rate of your video file, open the file in GSPOT again.
    [​IMG]

- Now you need TMPGEnc to be set up with the correct settings to convert an AVI file with the correct fram rate to DVDformat.

- For the video source click the browse button and find your AVI file and open it, the audio source field may automatically fill, if it doesn't don't worry about it becoz you wont be encoding the audio with TMPGEnc as you have allready done it.

- Only two settings need to be changed here. The first is the rate control mode in section(A)from the diagram, this needs to be changed to (CBR). Now all you need to do is set the bitrate shown on diagram(B) change this to match the bitrate you calculated on the previous step with the bitrate calculator
    [​IMG]

- The final setting to change is the Stream Type as I mentioned earler in my previous post. TMPGEnc wont be dealing with the audio, so change the setting to ES (Video only).
    [​IMG]

- Lastly, you need to use the program, TMPGEnc DVDAuthor. This is where you combine these 2 files together to make a DVD.

- On the source setup screen in TMPGEnc DVD Author click the Add File button, then browse for your .mpg or .m2v file. once you have found it click open.

- You will now be presented with the add clip screen, the first thing you need to do here is add the audio source so click the browse button and find your .AC3 file, you can also add chapters as you already may be aware of if you have used TMPGEnc Author before.

- Once that is done, click on the "Begin output" button. Wait for about 10 to 15 mins depending on your CPU processor power and how large your dvd file is.

- Once output of DVD files are created, you are ready to burn a perfect DVD audio movie.

I hope this has given you a clearer understanding as i only gave the short version earlier, so hope this has helped you. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

7. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

Thanks for the reply Achiles.
    That's almost the exact step that I did when I got the error message in the first place. Only I used ac3fix.exe to fix the audio instead of Beslice. The Es(video only) was ticked off so that it would convert the video only, and still I got the error message.
    What I tried to do last night was disable the audio in VirtualDub and I gave it a try again, but it went to 28% and the power went out in my house. Now that I think about it, I don't think disabling the audio is going to help, by ticking Es(video only) you are telling Tmpgenc Xpress to encode video only.
    Ahhhh what to do.

8. Achillies

Achillies Member

Hi dev1nsan, you don't have to use TMPGEnc Xpress to use the output video stream. You can still use the normal program TMPGEnc to do that as well. When you launch TMPGEnc, the first screen you see you can see all the stream levels at the bottom right corner under "Stream Type" Either select ES (video only) or System (video only)click save. you can browse for your movie file in the video source at the left hand side of the screen otherwise you can do it through the Project Wizard box.

If you are getting error messages, be sure to have the latest version installed and ensure you have installed the (VFAPI companion plug-in).
    Also you need the latest codecs installed. To do a fresh codec install you can remove all installed codecs, then install this one http://www.free-codecs.com/download/SLD_Codec_Pack_PRO.htm then reboot, or just install the required codecs needed.
    Then you should change the environment settings in TMPGenc the plugin priorities:
    - directshow +3.
    - CRI sofdec +2. (this may or maynot be in your environment setings)
    - AVI VFW +1.
    - Project reader +1. bmp/ppm unticked. and remaining ones ticked with 0.

As some people experience the "invalid pointer" error message. Another way to prevent the error from occurring, I went into Option - Environmental setting then to the VFAPI plug-in tab. Unchecking the box on "AVI2(OpenDML) File Reader" It will stop the error from happening.
    I had this same problem at one stage where TMPGEnc use to crash with certain files, after i changed the environment settings as shown above it has been working perfectly, error free.

Hope this will help

Achillies~

9. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

Well I'm trying it again with tmpgenc xpress, it's 17% done. If it doesn't work, probably won't, then I'll try it with tmpgenc plus with the settings you gave me. I'll post here what happens incase anybody else has this problem.

10. Achillies

Achillies Member

Is there an error message or does it just crash? I use TMPGEnc plus. Are you using all the right codecs? movie file could be damaged otherwise my guess, change the environment settings, it usually does the trick. When i had one movie file and it kepts stopping at 38% or at 47%, it drove me nuts. When i changed the settings, i encoded the movie to a 100% with no problems and the freezing up and errors have never come back again.

11. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

oh man this is really annoying now, it reached the magic number 37% and this time TMPGEnc Plus just crashes, I changed the VFAPIPLug in to what you stated above. I guess it's just a bad file but I've ran Divfix on it and there was no error to report.

12. Achillies

Achillies Member

Try removing all codecs and installing new ones from the link above. I cannot say what else it could be as in most cases when you have the settings right with TMPGEnc, it works fine. The other thing you could try to see if it is a bad file or not is try encoding another file or copy that particular movie and split it to a smaller size to see if it can encode past the magic number so you dont have to wait as long to see if it is a certain point that TMPGEnc cannot go passed or if it really is the file.

Remember to also have the "Register TMPGEnc.vfp checked" in the option menu. The VFAPI installer should work as i have had no problems.

13. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

Gspot says I have the appropiate codec for the avi file, and the "register VFapi" is checked. I'm gonna attempt it again with CCE as that one got me .mpv file but it took out the last 30 minutes of the movie.

14. jisleyjr

jisleyjr Member

Thanks Achillies for reminding me that virtualdubmod extracts ac3 audio, i haven't used it in awhile and i just recently was trying to remember how to extract ac3 audio from .avi's.

Question for you though. Are all the channels of audio in the ac3 retained when extracting them using virtualdubmod? Left-rear, Right-rear, etc.....

Oh, and i have had great luck with using Adobe Encore DVD 1.0 to make dvds. Different option for the people out there. For some reason tmpgenc dvd author would close down on my everytime i clicked on "Begin Output".

Later

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  15. Achillies

Achillies Member

Hi jisleyjr,

To answer your question in regards to the ac3 audio, yes, all audio channels should be retained "left and right" and so forth.

Adobe Encore DVD is a pretty good tool and its always advisable to try different options to compare to one another, so good going.

For the problem with TMPGEnc DVD Author, i cannot really think of why it would crash on you when you begin output, the only thing that comes to mind is the serial number could be a bad number and cause the program to fault and crash.

At the moment i am using TMPGEnc DVD Author version 1.5.20.62 and never had a problem. What you could try and do is install another TMPGEnc DVD Author version or uninstall the one you are currently using and reinstall it without the serial number and see if it works.

~Achillies~

16. jisleyjr

jisleyjr Member

Glad to hear that about the ac3.

I'll try dvd author again just for the hell of it once tmpgenc finishes encoding the video i want to burn.

Later

Edit: Still quits on me, no biggie though. I did like how you could have it add chapter points automatically every X minutes. jealous

17. Achillies

Achillies Member

What version of TMPGEnc DVD Author are you using?

Have you tried to use it with other movie files and has the same thing occured?

The shutting down could be also due to the non-standard bitrate but not completley sure if that is the main cause of it.

If you need additional help with versions of TMPGEnc DVD Author, you can email me.