1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Errors in source .mpg file

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by smshaaban, Mar 7, 2005.

1. smshaaban

smshaaban Member

Hi..I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if I sent this thread to the wrong place.
    I am using VDubMod 1.5.10.1 to encode an MPEG-1 (VCD) file into DivX 5.2.1 .avi. When I open the source file, VDubMod opens a window saying:

[bold][!] MPEG: Anachronistic or discontinuous timestamp found in audio stream 0 at
    byte position 16273721, from 8403355 to 11959693. This may indicate an
    improper join. [/bold]

This is one of the error messages. The window shows 10 other similar messages in both audio and video streams. When I start the encoding, it runs until it reaches a certain point and the program aborts giving me the message:

[bold]Error encoding audio frame 3707 (1:36) : Incomplete frame [/bold]

I found an option called 'Error Mode..' under the Streams menu. I chose 'Ignore errors and continue decoding at the next keyframe'. I restarted the encoding, and it continued 'successfully', apart from the log window that says:

[bold][!] MPEGAudio: Concealing decoding error on frame 3707: incomplete frame.

[!] MPEGAudio: Concealing decoding error on frame 3708: incomplete frame. [/bold]

But when I tried to play the output file: it runs well until it reaches the frame with the error where there are some clicks and then the audio continues but it becomes desynchronized from the video. [bold]My question is[/bold]: is there a workaround to avoid these errors in the source file? I don't mind having the clicks in the output file, but the desynchronization between the video and the audio tracks is really bothering me. It would be so kind of you if you link me to a good guide to VDub and VDubMod, as I'm new to the video editing/encoding world. Thanks a lot for your time.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Forget VDubMod for working with VBR MP3 or MP2 or AC3 audio - you need NanDub.
    You can get it in GordianKnot
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/gordian_knot.cfm
    which will also help you make good DivX AVIs
    but not designed to work from MPEG1 source though...
    Oh well, get your NanDub anyway.
    Your VCD file is 'flaky' and is no great prize ;-(
    MPEG1 to AVI is harsh (quality-wise) anyway, so don't lose any sleep over this...
    L8R

3. smshaaban

smshaaban Member

Ok..thanks a lot. I'll give it a try.

What do you recommend for compressing MPEG1? I chose .avi (DivX and xvid) because I thought they offer good compression with good quality. Is there a better choice that I'm missing ( I mean balancing the good compression and quality)? Thanks :)

4. smshaaban

smshaaban Member

So I downloaded th pack and started NanDub v1.0rc2. The problem is that I can't find the Compression item under the Video menu. I'm working with the Full Processing Mode, but nothing happens when I press crtl-P. The item itself just isn't there. VDubMod runs fine and the crtl-P is working fine. Am I missing something?

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

MPEG1 (VCD) and MPEG4 (AVI) are both types of compression.
    You don't really compress MPEG1, you can only transcode it to another different compression format.
    DivX has the small filesize of MPEG1 along with the picture quality of MPEG2 (DVD), and so it's a much more modern format that seems better.
    But MPEG1 VCDs have, as a design priority, the ability to playback on a wide spectrum of hardware - the format is not demanding on hardware, and will play quite nicely on a 166MHz PC.
    DivX is some real, serious compression that needs at least 1000MHz to playback.
    So if you have MPEG1, if you change it to MPEG4 it will look the same (or worse) but will no longer playback easily anymore - kinda the worst of both worlds, capish?
    Dunno about ctrl-P buddy, but I believe NanDub does everything VirtualDub does...
    This might, however, not be true since GordianKnot also comes with & uses VDubMod as its encoder.
    This is telling because they would not include both if they didn't need both.
    Anyway, if I was determined to transcode MPEG1, I would strip the audio, worry only about transcoding the video, and then re-mux the A and V again at the end (using NanDub).
    Simple & straightforward - try that & let us know, it's your best way :)
    Regards

6. smshaaban

smshaaban Member

Ok..thanks for the explanation. About Nandub, the readme file that comes with it (from the Gordian Knot package) says something about only using the DivX 3.11alpha and/or MS-MPEG4 v.2 codecs only. It say literally:

So I downloaded the mentioned codecs (although I have DivX 5.2.1 installed), but the Compression item under Video just isn't there at all.

That's a good point. But does it imply that there's another 'fully functional' version of NanDub out there? It would be very annoying if I have to edit a video with VBR MP3 audio stream and want to transcode it for whatever reason. I then will have to edit it in NanDub, save it as a direct stream copy, then open it in VirtualDubMod for transcoding...very painful and a needless waste of time. Anywy, I'll keep digging hoping to find out what's wrong. Thanks a lot for the help, The_OGS ;-)

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

This explains why NanDub is not really available standalone (or at least very hard to find).
    They are all 'offshoots' of the original VirtualDub by Avery Lee, and apparently the NanDub guy developed it to work with VBR MP3 and AC3 audio, not to encode video per se.
    Yeah, so use NanDub to demux audio if req'd; encode/transcode however (VirtualDub/VDubMod/GKnot); use NanDub to re-interleave final product.
    Not too very painful, and to save time, buy the DVDs LoL :)
    Dunno what to tell ya... good luck,
    L8R

8. smshaaban

smshaaban Member

Thanks a lot, The_OGS. Your tips were very helpful to me :)

9. smshaaban

smshaaban Member

Hi again...I just found a manual for NanDub. Actually the program can encode video. There is a restriction is that the program author decided to use either DivX 3.11 or MS-MPEG v.2 only. It uses the so-called SBC (short for Smart Bitrate Control), which apparently - as the tutorials on http://www.doom9.org - gives better results than the conventional alghorithms in VDub and VDubMod. So, instead of the Compression dialog in Vdub/VDubMod (under Video tab), there's SBC Options under Video in Nandub. For the details of how to configure SBC in Nandub, see Koepi's guide. Hope these information help you guys with Nandub. The link is:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/koepi/nandub_options_explained-v1.0.pdf

See you later..;-)