1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Errors with Shrink and Decrypter...Please Help!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by lasvegas, Oct 4, 2004.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Hello!

I'm new here and what a great sight by the way! I have a 1.3Ghz AMD Athlon, XP home with SP 2 fully updated, 640 MB RAM, 2 HD - Drive C: 60GB FAT 32 (30% free) and Drive E: Maxtor IDE 160GB NTFS file system (80% free), 16X Compaq DVD-ROM GD-8000, Sony DVD RW DRU-510A 4X. I just did a disk cleanup and Defrag. I used to use DVD X-Copy to burn DVD's and had errors half the time ending up w/ lots of coasters. Was referred to this site and just downloaded and installed DVD Shrink (3.2.0.15) and DVD Decrypter (3.5.1.0) and I'm getting errors. When I first used the 2 programs, it worked...made a copy of Starsky & Hutch. I was then using my burner to both read & write...time consuming. Found out I could use my DVD-ROM player to read and my Sony burner to burn, so I then followed Scubapetes guide to the "T" and now it's not working. I'm trying to burn DVD-9 movies (tried Soul Plane) to DVD-R. I was using Memorex DVD-R at first and just bought some TDK DVD-R's and still no luck. I just ordered some Sony DVD-R's. During the whole process, I closed all programs running in my taskbar, snooze mode for anti-virus, and left the computer alone. My primary and secondary IDE channels are both set to: DMA if possible.

The first error was an I/O Error....Interpretation-Write Error-Recovery Failed Invalid address for write. The last 2 errors were: DVD Shrink encountered an error....programming error-exception occured. I have ROXIO 6.0 on my PC also...should I uninstall that? I think I saw a post about possible conflicts. I also have Sonic MYDVD, Veritas RecordNow DX and Studio 7 installed.

The DVD Shrink settings are:
    Target DVD size: 4260 MB
    Select backup target: ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter
    Select target image file: E\DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter work\SOULPLANE_UR.ISO
    DVD Region Code: Region free checked
    Quality setting: Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation checked, Sharp (default); Deep analysis unchecked
    Run background in low priority checked.

The Decrypter settings are:
    Burn proof checked
    Verify unchecked
    ISO Mode: write
    Destination: Sony DRU-510A
    Write Speed: Max

Is it ok to have the Shrink & Decrypter on my local C drive and the saved files burn files to go to my E drive? Should I uninstall Roxio, the backup to DVD feature doesn't work anyhow? Saw something about ASPI...would that help...what is it? Disable IMAPI maybe? These 2 programs look to be nice, if they would just work. Pulling hair out and loosing sleep here! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It's the "Current Transfer Mode" that counts :)

What are yours set to?

3. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Hi! What is "Current Transfer Mode"? Where would I look to find out what mine is set at. Thanks!

4. Nephilim

The Current Transfer Mode is found right below where you saw that your drive was set to DMA If Possible :)

5. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Oh, ok. Went there and Device O current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2. Device 1 current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 4. Is that what I want? Thanks!

6. Nephilim

Your DMA settings are perfect.

If you've no need for Roxio then you might as well uninstall it. It has quite a reputation for interfering with other burning apps and could possibly be causing your errors. Here's a great utility to remove the little bits that get left behind after the standard uninstall:

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Are you running the latest firmware for your Sony?

7. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Latest firmware for Sony is installed. Uninstalled Roxio using add/remove programs and roxiozap...Shrink & Decrypter works perfectly now! I imagine my other DVD burning apps will work now also. I'm sticking w/ Shrink & Decrypter as they seem far superior. Thanks Nephilim for your help...Appreciate it!!!

8. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

My image files go to the larger E drive currently, would the burning take place any faster to have the Shrink & Decrypter programs installed on my faster NTFS E drive as well? Or should I just leave them on my local C drive?

9. Nephilim

I'd leave them on your C drive. I can't see why putting them on your SATA drive would make them run any faster.

10. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

I have another problem now. I went to the program Veritas RECORDNOW DX on my PC and I get the message: No compatible recordable or rewritable devices could be found on your system. Then I went to Sonic MYDVD and I get application error (17235) Unable to detect an ASPI manager. These errors are occuring after I have installed Shrink & Decrypter and since I have uninstalled Roxio 6 using add/remove programs and roxiozap. Any ideas on what's going on? THANKS!

11. Veblin

Veblin Active member

12. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Can you explain in layman terms what happened with my PC and why and what the Force ASPI is and why I need it & what not? What caused this problem? Thanks!!!

13. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Trouble shooting my ealier problem, I also disabled my IMPI CD burning service. What is that and should I leave it disabled? Thanks again!!!

14. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Many programs that access a CD/DVD drive need a ASPI Layer as it's I/O interface. The errors you are receiving seem to indicate that yours is missing or damaged and needs to be replaced. Removing Roxio and using Roxizap may have done that. More info at the ForceASPI 1.8 site.

Other programs like DVD Decrypter can use many different I/O interfaces.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/104533

IMAPI CD burning service should be disabled. It is Windows built in CD recording software, but it is not very good and can cause problems for other recording software.

15. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Ok, I installed ForceASPI 1.8 and then did the aspichk.exe and it says the my ASPI is properly installed and fully functional, but I still get the same error type messages with Recordnow DX: No compatible recordable or rewritable devices could be found on your system. Any advise on what to do next? Thanks!!!

16. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

One thing though, I hope I didnt goof, when I first ran the forceaspi18, I extracted all and didn't run just:
    1.Run dumpASPI to backup your current ASPI layer
    2. Run instASPI to install the new ASPI layer
    3. Reboot your PC
    4. Run aspichk to see if everything worked ok

Clicking extract all, the restASPI, killASPI, and killDUMP were also ran. I then did the aspichk.exe and it said there were no ASPI installed (empty). So I ran the dumpASPI and the instASPI again solely and then rebooted and ran the aspichk and it then said everything was ok. The recordnow is still not working. Did I get rid of some critical ASPI that I will need for other programs. Sorry I sound like an idiot...this is all new to me. I hope to get recordnow DX working again. Thanks for the help!!!

17. lasvegas

lasvegas Member

Got it working with Recordnow engine update at Sonic.