1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eTomi: problems and resolutions

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by amst1d, Mar 17, 2005.

1. amst1d

amst1d Member

I have attempted to determine if I need to remove the eTomi software I foolishly downloaded by browsing the forums for this topic. To my dismay when one user began a discussion on this topic it soon decayed into an ape-like chest-pounding contest between computer geeks about the stupidity levels of the average users – duh. If we weren’t uninformed we wouldn’t need this site. Please prop up your low self esteem for a few minutes, stop belittling those seeking help and if you can’t maturely address a couple of unanswered questions from the previous thread please add nothing at all.
    1. Can/Should I effectively remove this program from my computer?
    2. I can’t remember if I downloaded the Mp3 Shield. How do I locate it and can/should I remove it?
    3. I heard the mantra “DO YOUR RESEARCH”: How? What exactly does that mean? What do I ask and to whom? Are you referring to specific software or commonly available Mp3 files?
    4. Is there no form of legitimate relatively safe peer-to-peer sharing? None?
    5. Does the scorn of common users run throughout this site or did I just stumble onto the one angry elitist thread?

2. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

Hi

Having downloaded and isnstalled the etomi software have you run Spybot or Ad-aware?
    Like you I am one of the many who did subscibe to this company - since then I have done my research mainly because it has been necessary to do so. At least it has taught me many things!
    Depending on who you read it seems this company may be located in Malta - it appears to be a scam to defraud people like us of hard earned cash.
    On installing the program I suddenly began to have all sorts of issues with Malware that Spybot and Ad-aware were unable to get rid of...to cut a long, long sad story short I did get rid of etomi, the malware etc.
    If you need details then let me know.

3. vot

vot Member

hi im new to this forum and wonder if you could let me know how to get rid of all etomi files much appreciated.

4. amst1d

amst1d Member

I did run the Ad-Aware and Spyware Search and Destroy as described on this site that seems to have solved most of the functionality problems but I still run this software combination everyday or two and routinely find 15 to 20 ‘creatures’.
    I wonder if you’ve finally rid your machine of all of this rubbish and if you have any recommendations for how I can get comfortable with the level of sanitation of my machine.
    Finally, have found any acceptable P2P software? The ‘for fee’ service gave (falsely I know now) a feeling of quasi legitimacy. Have you abandoned the P2P concept or found a reasonable solution?
    Thanks for your help.

5. amst1d

amst1d Member

VOT. I don't have a lot of experience here either other than to tell you I strongly recommend you remove the software as I did and it was clearly the cause of numerous problems. Use the uninstall function and then you can follow a clean up process described in this web site. (http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/45). It helped remove the critters that slowed my machine and misdirected my browser but I do think I still have a hidden nasty in there somewhere.
    I recommend you search through the forums - tons of good advice and with a little clicking around you'll probably craft a decent solution. Good luck.

Am

6. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

1 I found that I had to run a freeware program called Process Explorer from Sysinternals.com and remove all references to etomi, XXXTeen, ISTsvc, IST from memory before removing any software
    2 Then I had to go into the registry to remove any reference to the above mentioned software
    Run regedit then search for all the registry keys containing etomi, Istsvc, XXXXTeen, ISTbar, ISTsvc.exe
    Make a back up of the registry before you begin!
    Bit of a mission but it does rid you of the problems
    3 Try emule for P2P

7. amst1d

amst1d Member

Very Very Helpful.
    I am working through the Process Explorer right now but am completely unaware of the registry. Where/how do I locate my registry? How do I backup my registry? How do I run regedit? Do I run a standard ‘Ctrl F’ search to locate the registry keys you mentioned?
    I am reading the emule manual now. Have you used it? Lots available?
    Thanks again for all the assistance. Normally I don’t like to spend that kind of money on such a generous pain in the neck!

8. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

I take it you have windows XP?? Anyway if you do then set a system restore point (go to your control panel and select performance and maintenance and on the left hand upper side it will have "System Restore" - select that and it will take you through the steps to set a system restore point).
    Then select "Start" button located on the bottom left of your screen.

On the bottom right hand side of the box you will see the word "run" - press "run" and another box will appear.
    In the space for typing write regedit.
    Then press OK
    Then select edit from the top bar
    Then select FIND
    in the box type in ISTsvc
    and FIND will show you where these words are located. Just delete each instance.
    Do the same for ISTbar and XXXTeen and etomi
    BUT you must, after you have found all of the above, run the program called PROCESS EXPLORER and delete ISTbar or ISTsvc.exe or XXXTeen, etomi otherwise you will find they will all reappear again the next time you boot up.
    Then you may still have to use windows search to find ISTsvc.exe and/ or etomi and delete from your computer.
    Run spybot and adaware again to see if those items listed above appear.
    I have used emule without too many problems by the way.

9. amst1d

amst1d Member

Wondering if you have any experience with AltNetBDE? I find everytime I scan with AdAware and can't get it off permanently. I did find a couple of options on this forum (CClean et al) but none worked. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Am

10. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

No - I have done a search on the net and found little about it.
    But if Ad-aware can't remove it then I would start my computer in safe mode. Run ad-aware and eliminate it if it comes up again. Then reboot and run ad-aware again. If it comes up again then I would run Process Explorer and see if I can find a reference to it there - if so eliminate/delete.
    Also you may want to search your registry just in case - run regedit then FIND.
    Set a restore point before messing with the registry though.
    Good luck. Let me know if you need any more ideas.

11. etomioops

etomioops Member

hi guys. So am I. I don't know what kind of trojan installed along with etomi pro, but I know there are some.
    Last time when I turned off my PC I saw an aplication named "My Snoop" I've tried to find it by doing a search on hard disk but nothing came up. I ran "advanced administrative tools" to see proccess monitor and no proccess with such name is displayed.
    I think we should work harder to find this trojans.

12. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

Try downloading Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com - and maybe search your registry to see if you can find anything that refers to "my snoop"

13. LabRat63

LabRat63 Member

14. coda146

coda146 Member

hi, just stumbled upon this site and I am quite disturbed by the few messages that I have read regardign etomi.
    pardon me if I sound stupid, but is this one of those sites that promise you the world, charge you for it and then creates problems withing your computer? if so, I think I may just figured out why my computer crashed recently.
    one question I do have (perhaps two), if I have music that I downloaded from etomi, should I remove it? and my next question is where can I download music that is safe and most importantly cheap or free. Thanks

15. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

Etomi has proven to be a world wide scam. Not only that it seems to have caused computer owners, including myself, many hours trying to clean out the malware that appears to come with your software download from etomi.

Read the past messages to get information on how to find and remove the malware from your computer. It is quite complex and time consuming.

As far as I know any music you have downloaded will be OK.

Try emule - but other users will have more information regarding good safe sites to use.

16. mikell91

mikell91 Member

I completely agree with Bob - etomi should be avoided like the plague. I had no idea how bad it was when I tried to install & use it yesterday. My laptop is very new and runs XP Professional + Norton Internet Security + broadband access via a wireless router. Despite allowing both etomi & Java full access, it refused to connect in any way. When I tried to get help, the '3 stage' process of 'self help' turned out to be 2 stages - with no help given and no alternative email address. There is a 'chat' line (allegedly)which was permanently engaged. I uninstalled & re-installed at least twice, especially since paying them £34 (about $60). There was no way I could cancel my agreement, and since I'd sent them my full VISA card details, I felt it necessary to get my bank to cancel the card and issue me with another. It's either a scam (which I think it is) or a grossly incompetant system.

Mike

17. amst1d

amst1d Member

It is a semi well documented scam. I have fallen prey to it myself and since it installed much malware on my system it took me weeks to fully remediate the damage. Uninstalling will not completely clean your machine. Search this forum for removal of unwanted Spyware and the like. It will take some time but those on this site have the ability and willingness to get your compass pointing north again. All the best.

18. amst1d

amst1d Member

Another note - it should be an eye opener that all posting on this thread are newbies! It wasn't a cheap or easily correctable mistake and while it hasn't changed my newbie status on this site I certainly take a more member like approach to what I allow into my machine after this debacle.

19. AltyBlue

AltyBlue Guest

Hi Guys,

Now, I may be daft, but I have had Etomi for several months, and have downloaded a lot of tracks, full albums etc, and leave my PC on most of the time. I have a few spyware programs come up on Spybot etc, but seem to be able to clear these.

Apart from some tracks which download as blanks when put on CD, I do not seem to have a problem.

HOWEVER, my PC, especially Internet, which is broadband, is acting VERY slow, and keeps telling me it has recovered from a serious error just after I log in, and I am wondering if Etomi is causing this, based on what I have read on this forum. Up till reading all thse messages, I thought Etomi was an excellent way of downloading any music etc I wanted, but now I am concerned.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms, what exactly is the problem with Etomi, and are Sharearea and Limewire the same?

Cheers

Tim

20. amst1d

amst1d Member

First understand I am no expert and came to this forum trying to solve the same problems you now describe. I would guess you figured the fee paid to eTomi would offer some hedge against downloading nervousness.
    When you downloaded this software it comes packed with other goodies never mentioned to you. It allows the creator of this software access to your system for purposes unknown – and again I have no expertise in this area but would suggest it is exactly these malware programs that are causing the sluggishness and error reporting. All my problems – every last one – disappeared after I removed and sanitized my system of this software.
    I think that eTomi runs on the same basic software as Shareaza and Lime wire but these other programs get great reviews on this site and seem to have no baddies tucked inside them. I have Shareaza now but can’t say I have found it an effective tool. My friend uses Limewire with great success and I will probably make the switch soon.
    Take this information for what it’s worth. All the best.

Amst1d