1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovox Max(2007) problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Dublin08, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Dublin08

Dublin08 Member

Hi folks, Long time reader first time poster.
    Bottom line,I've two Eurovox Max 2007(red box) units and both are genuine not clones. One of them has gone belly up on me and only has a red standby light showing(no green dots or lines on display). I have the software and cable to flash/update the boxes but when I tried to fix the dead box nothing worked. My pc couldn't detect the box. Would I be right in thinking I have to go down the jtag route to get it working again??
    I don't want to waste money on fleabay if it isn't the answer.
    I'd be grateful if anyone else that had the same problem and got it sorted could shed some light on this for me.

Cheers guys.

2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

The one that is only on standby might work with a flash and the one that has no power at all will need to be jtagged to bring back to life

3. Dublin08

Dublin08 Member

Hey Celtic,
    One of the boxes is fine and doesn't need anything done to it....yet :) The other just won't come on and the only thing you get when plugged in is the standby light.From reading through past threads I've seen a few people that had a similar problem where it's stuck in standby but some seem to have something on the green display ie two dots or lines. I've nothing at all just a red standby light. Going to check it's power supply just to make sure nothing is gone on that end and power is actually getting across the the main board.
    Just out of interest what exactly does a jtag do or could you point me in the direction of a link to do some reading up on it.

Thanks again.

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Sorry I dont know much about the Eurovox and if Scouser sees this he will help you out some more

In the mean time you could go here and have a look at the jtag for Eurovox

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Thanks Celt :) Dont know if I can help out any more, but before you do a jtag have a look as you said at the power board. Open up the box and if you look in the box on the left had side you have the power supply (brown circuit board).At the top look at the main supply coming into the brown board it has a round dark brown cap with "12.0a250v", writen in small writing. See if this is blown and also look at the yellow square type caps and see if any of the tops has blown off.

6. Dublin08

Dublin08 Member

Hi folks,
    Well had a look at the psu board and all looked fine. No blown tops on any of the caps,so took a voltage reading on the ribbon type cable transferring the power over to the main board and all the readings matched whats printed on the board itself.
    This is starting to look more like a normal fault rather then anything related to clones or firmware updates though the box isn't a clone nor have I done any updates on it.
    Is the jtag more for dead clones bricked by firmware updates??

Cheers guys.

7. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The jtag can be used on the Eurovox regardless of clone of not. What chipset do you have as there are two different methods, one for Intel chipset and one for other.

BTW what firmware do you have on this box at present?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  8. Dublin08

Dublin08 Member

Looking at the chips the large one has OMEGA written on it with a ST logo above it. Chip to the right of that has hynix on it and the one two the right has a green dot over the name but has spansion at the bottom. Others are too small to read. As for firmware I don't know but my working unit has s/w ver: 1.0 stc4 Mar 15 2007 h/w ver 2.0t Mar 2007
    bootstrap v002. They were both bought from the same person and not too long between purchases so I'd reckon the bricked one would be the same as above.

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Thanks for the info the jtag link Celtic gave you earlier is the one you need if you are going down that route. From what you have said the power board looks fine. But as per your first post you say you cannot communicate with the box even though you have the correct null modem cable, this means you cannot even attempt a re flash.

It could be a tsop problem and jtag is your only viable option to repair it.

10. Dublin08

Dublin08 Member

Yeah I think I'll pick up a jtag and give it a go.
    Cheers sc0user and Celtic71 for your input.

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Youre welcome best of luck with it.