1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eurovox signal problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by djt0506, Jan 16, 2008.

1. djt0506

djt0506 Member

Hi,

I have n*l digital. I bought a eurovox max v 2008 about 2 months ago and since then i have been having signal problems with it. I have posted on some forums [including this one] about this problem. I have had a few suggestions made to me, but none of them have worked.
    Here is a summary of what is happening and what i have done so far:

The box has an average signal strength of ~ 83%.
    I receive a perfect picture and sound at offpeak hours [ie. when there isnt as much of a demand on the line].
    However, during, lets say, a man utd vs liverpool match on a sunday or whatever day (when the demand on the line is high), the picture will hop constantly and for most of the match i will receive the "no signal" box alot. If I press the "info" button twice to view the signal strenght, it can be seen that the strenght jumps from 83% to 80% to 85% to 81% and so on and then after about 20 seconds may return to a steady 83% in which I then recieve a picture.

However, the strange thing about it is one day (i think it was the "grand slam super sunday" on scysports, when man utd were playing liverpool, the signal was jumpy for the first 30 minutes of the match or so, but then I was able to watch the rest of the match without any picture or sound hops. How can this be?

I have tried updating the box' firware to kuro beta 2, however this did not solve my problem.

It has been suggested that my signal strenght may be too high for the box so I could get an attenuator and stick it on the line to reduce the signal strenght. [I think this may be my next step]

(I live in an area that was built over 20 years ago and thus the underground cabling providing the digital signals would most likely not have been upgraded since then. This is one of my suspicions as to why my signal is bad)

If anyone has any suggestions, please reply to my thread. thanks.

Dan

2. jonny92

jonny92 Member

hi there have you tried a signal booster may just help

3. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

As you have stated it could be your position from the street cab and the fact that you are on old cabling. If you have a subbed box you could ask VM to check your cabling, obviously put your EV away. You could try an attenuator first as it is only a few quid. Another cause could be an illegal tap on your line.

4. djt0506

djt0506 Member

thanx for the replies guys. Think i'll go to my local electrical store and get a variable attenuator tomorrow and see what happens. With the variable attenuator, can I lower the signal strength from the 82% being received by the box at present to, say, 70% ?

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

below 75% will cause the same problems, a good signal is between 80 to 90%, with 85% been optimum. I know you already have around this mark but it is not constant, a variable attenuator may level it out. BTW you can get them on the net much cheaper I can give you a link if you wish.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  6. djt0506

djt0506 Member

i live in the republic of ireland scouser, so most online shop are based in the UK. Sure I'll just take a trip to my local store and grab one. Sure whats an extra few quid for the chance that it might just work. lol.

Thanx again for all your replies mate.

7. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

No problem, where in Ireland are you based? Oh and I would delete your post from a well known Irish forum before you get banned :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008