1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

everlasting DVD media??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by wangho75, Apr 18, 2005.

1. wangho75

wangho75 Member

just wondering if anyone has had burned DVD's that have finally "died" on them after having been burned years ago. I'm making backups and everything seems flawless on my burned media and would like to be secure in knowing that with proper care that these DVD's will last for years into the forseeable future. Is that gurantee any less with cheaper media? Im currently using Sony -R (50 pack for $30) media with the "SONY08D1" ID code which has been rated pretty well at VCDhelp.com. I dont want to put all this work into this project just have everything rot away. Just wondering on any experiences?

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

3. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

I was recently searching for a site with that very same technical stuff regarding DVD structure and longevity.

A great read.

Thanks arniebear.

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

very interesting read, very informative, learned quite a bit of little details that were unknown to me earlier. thank you for pointing out that article arniebear~

5. na_tra

na_tra Member

guys,

do you plan to live forever? nothing forever in this world. just dont be too disappointed if your disc fail you.

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

nothing lasts forever, that is common sense; however, in my dvd media, i would like to define the longevity of it as "close to the manufacturer's claimed shelf-life expectancy." with the premium stuff that they say will last anywhere from 30-100 years, i would be perfectly happy if my media lasts 1/2 the bare minimum (of 30yrs)= 15yrs is a good amount of time for me. i can tell you from experience that some of my cmcmags' are already non-playable..and how long ago did i use these? a year ago at the very MOST? im approximating here from personal experience, but, to pay for dvd media that doesn't last for over a year, that is just not worth the money or time spent making those dvds in my opinion. i have riteks that still play fine from 2 years ago, i didn't discover the world of Taiyo Yuden until this year, so, im somewhat behind on my premium media; but since then i use nothing but TY coded and MCC coded media, whether it be fuji/sony/verbatim/etc...i am hoping these will last a long long time, anything that survives for over 5 years to me personally, is decent enough. have a good one.

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Technology advance rapidly who knows the dvd may be obsolete in 5 years. Don't know if I want my DVD's lasting longer than myself, then I will have a fight over who I will them to :)

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

you make a valid point arniebear, perhaps my cmcmags fit the bill nicely~ with me gone, so will all my important info once i pass away~ :)

well, i would hope i could pass down all my backups to my children, as well as my huge original collection of dvds....but, who knows, if in the next 5-10 years dvds will become obsolete, then i will just have to transfer ALL my dvds to the new medium before i die :)

always burning...burning...burning...never ending story~ have a good one.

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You too, instead of everlasting media, this thread should be everlasting burning :)

10. ringofire

ringofire Member

Well, I guess if someone has been using cheap media (like me). One could get quality media and back up the backups? How do the comercial DVDs last so long? I thought once it was on a DVD it was "etched in stone" I guess not.

11. we_rule

we_rule Member

Great article. I will be adding a link to it on my website later today.