1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything Plays as a Music File

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by XJeepguy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. XJeepguy

XJeepguy Member

Hello All

I recently built a new computer here . I have all the codecs installed from the old computer on the new one now . Trouble I am having is all my avi video files are playing as music in MS Media Player . Firmware on dvd burner is all up to date , Mobo drivers etc.. all current . As I have not been able to make a DVD yet ( one that works) from an avi like I used to . I have all the programs off the old computer installed , I always used to use Super DVD Creator to do the one step conversion , burn and it runs thru the process fine , no errors but the end result is it doesnt play in anything after . It just says disc error on the home dvd player as well . I know its something to do with the way my computer is playing these files as music but just cannot figure whats causing this . Oh ya , when opening a avi in Media Player it does say codec aquired successfully and then plays the movie as audio.

Thanks for any advice , help . My pile of dvd's in the garbage is starting to frustrate me . Im using the same media type as I used to .

XJ

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Download GSpot. Open your AVI with GSpot, will tell you if you have all the codecs installed. It seems that you are missing some video codecs. I would download the lates version of FFDshow.

As for playback issues... what kind of discs are you using to burn?

I have never used Super DVD Creator, however, DVD Flick is free and does a pretty good job ;the beta version will also allow you to crate menus:

http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/dvd-flick-guide.html

3. XJeepguy

XJeepguy Member

Seem to have the codec issue resolved . Dont know why but Media Player refused to see that codec . Its working now BUT Im still not able to convert and burn a dvd . I will try flick , but its a mystery as to why the other 2 programs dont work now .

Let ya know how flick goes .

Thanks

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

How did you solved the codec issue?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  5. XJeepguy

XJeepguy Member

Oh , I have tried 3 different media brands , Sony , Verbatim and Memorex . Which of course all worked fine on the old computer . Somethings just not right here . I can burn the avi file as data and the home dvd player plays it fine . Somehow the conversion process or the way ALL the programs I'm trying are putting it on the dvd , somethings going wrong .

XJ

6. XJeepguy

XJeepguy Member

The codec ? I downloaded the first one from a 3rd party , this morning I got it right off the link from Media Player . Ok now , took your advice and tried Flick and it worked fine . Converted a avi to dvd , no problem, it plays fine in everything . I'm happy that things are working but baffled as to why the other programs I tried ( and have used happily over the last 2 or 3 years ) are not working . Thank you so much for the tips . Its a great forum .

XJ

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Why the other program is not working? I don't know...Do you really want to find out, you can keep on digging:~)!
    The Flick is free, supports removable subs and lets you create menus. Outputs great quality. If you want to fix the other proggie, good luck. Maybe is missing some codecs, I don't know,maybe with the new downloaded codec it would work, but you are fixed for now, so cheers!

8. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

XJeepguy:

Sounds like your video renderers are messed up. If I were you I would uninstall any individual codecs/codec packs you have, clean your registry and then download K-Lite Codec Pack from here: www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Install it, it will replace all your previous codecs with much more customizable ones and in conjunction with Media Player Classic (included) will allow to play 98% of video formats out there.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008