1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EVGA 8800GTS 640mb - Low FPS!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by D10Vieira, Sep 19, 2007.

1. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

Hi,

i was wondering if anyone could help me out? today i recived my brand new 8800gts 640mb and installed it. Started up CSS and put all the settings maxed out, now for some odd reason im getting around 20-50 fps which i know is pretty low for this card.

my specs are:
    3.2ghz p4 ht
    2gig ram
    vista ultimate

when i check out the Systems requirements labs, it says i can handle the game on recommened settings.

what does happen is that it says my drivers need to be updated, so i updated them yet it continued to say i need to update (this also happened with my previous card)

i recently switch to windows vista and was wondering if this could be the problem?

2. socom0000

socom0000 Member

you should get a new motherboard and a core 2 duo Processor it will work better.

3. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

well iw as thinking of getting a core quadro processor, but i mean for CS:S im sure CS wasnt buiult for duo's, but im gonna send it back anyway, and just get a big lump the end of this year if that is the problem.

funny thing is when i had xp i dont remmeber the low fps on my odl gfx card, but i think it started when i got vista.

4. AXT

AXT Guest

Your card is being bottlenecked by the CPU.

5. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

firstly... define bottlenecked lol, seocndly i am guessing that it is the CPU's problem, thirdly could it be my 500w power supply?

6. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

but i had the same problem on my old card when i got vista, also it keeps telling me i need to update my drivers when i have done

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well yes, it could very well be a combination of your drivers and the fact that you're running a P4, which is bottlenecking your GPU TREMENDOUSLY! I would definetly recommend a upgrade to a e6600.

Try downloading and installing the latest drivers for your card. Some dont work with Vista... Thats just how it turned out. Maybe the omega drivers will help?

Also, i have CC:S and when I run the stress test, I get 123 avg fps, and thats with my computer that im using now (see specs in sig)

8. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

wow thanks alot man, ok ill try the omega drivers because with the standard drivers it continuously says i need to update no matter how many times i do it, if you could give me a link that would be great?

ok well other than that i guess i need a new CPU which should hopefully solve the driver issue, thanks dude... stupid vista! :p

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Vista drivers are a pain, but you should do better with omega ones. As for the low fps, it's what everyone else is telling you. The limit for single core CPUs was the midrange graphics cards like 7600GTs, anything above that would be a waste unless you have a dual core CPU. It doesn't need to be expensive, I bought the cheapest model (E4300) and overclocked it to run 3Ghz without much of a fuss. It now beats the limbs off most PCs.
    This is no brag, I'm merely stressing that it is easy and simple to get good performance with Core 2s, buy a cheap CPU, no need to get the extreme (the E6750 is great value now), and some reasonable RAM (such as Corsair XMS2 PC6400 CAS4), and a good motherboard such as a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and you'll be laughing, you'll well exceed my overclock, and since your graphics card is more powerful than mine, you'll be getting 200fps in Counterstrike for the most part, at least.

10. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

11. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

hey sammoris ive actually just ordered the following, what you think?

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
    OcUK 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Asus P5N32-E PLUS SLi nForce (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

all form overclockers.

and thanks for the link waymon!

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The memory, I've never heard of it. I'm guessing that's just the store brand. You should have gone with some like Crucial or Corsair.

13. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

i didnt want to spend too much after just uying this card, but it actually has good reviews, i just though if it doesnt work out, ill get some ocz memory

14. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

Hows everything else? good? oh and plsu im not an overclocker :p oh and by the way dude, the omegra drivers arent working for vista, theres only xp and below :(

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just be prepared for it to take a while, Overclockers UK are known for long delivery times, sometimes it'll arrive the next day, sometimes in a couple of weeks (that's if you pay for next day delivery).
    OcUK memory basically means unbranded, so it means it'll be pretty rubbish, but it'll get you by. All UK computer stores brand components with their own name, but they are infact unbranded oem products, notably:

ebuyer: Ebuyer extra value
    Savastore: Aries
    Overclockers: OcUK
    Scan: 3XS
    Dabs: Dabs Value
    Aria: Arianet

and so on.

16. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

yeh i always thought that too, but because of its review i thought d go for it, especially becaue of my budget, is the other stuff i got good, matched with my gfx card? i made sure i got an SLI mobo incase i get another card, u think the RAM will affect my gaming alot? i dont overclock.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If the RAM is slow enough the game will see a drop in FPS I think. FEAR on my computer was real slow(it would freeze for a sec and then start up and then freeze for a couple of secs). When I upped the RAM to 500 mhz it stopped doing that and I get a comfortable 100+ FPS with it.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

100fps? Good god, what settings do you run? I only get around 20fps at my settings because i turn it up. There's no point the game running so well you don't notice, up the detail and make it look nicer!

19. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

is there any big difference between 8800gts 320mb or 8800gts640mb. the price different is 100. i read some where before that video card memory is not that much important

20. D10Vieira

D10Vieira Guest

My memory is 1033mhz i think.

i guess so, thats what i was recommeneded the 640mb version, also i just bought it a few days ago and the price difference was only £50, im assuming its more future proof because of new games needing more memory.