1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

evox clock has gone wrong, why?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by LufianGuy, Oct 10, 2007.

1. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Okay so I have a regular old Xbox.

I want to softmod it so I can play games (xbox games), emulators (PSX, N64, and SNES especially), and roms off of the HDD (I don't care about music or other things, but they would be nice to have also).

Standard Xbox HDD size is 8-10GB. So I'll swap it out with my Seagate 250GB HDD (My HDD model works 100%) after I softmod.

1. So I should softmod it using the guide here (luckily, I do have a copy of the original Splinter Cell):
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/558747

I have a friend who has ftp and streams anime to his xbox with xbox media center, so I can use his xbox to put the softmod on a memory card for me correct?

Which dashboard is more user friendly (I AM A COMPLETE NEWBIE AND WANT TO DO EVERYTHING IN THE EASIEST MANNER SO THERE IS THE LOWEST % OF ME MESSING UP), UnleashX or Evox?

Also please tell me how to put games, emulators, and roms on the xbox after I am done.

Are there any apps out there I should get?

2. Then I should switch it out the HDD with my 250GB Seagate HDD using this guide here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/407140

Hopefully these 3 youtube videos show the correct process to go through replacing the xbox HDD:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-MX6yk6MgGU
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TciIVrkkpDw&mode=related&search=
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=oAaVfVgsAgo&mode=related&search=

Any advice is greatly appreciated, links are welcome too.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  2. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

If your friend has the usb cable plug for the mem card, then you should be able to put the softmod files on there like nothing :)
    I'm presuming that you have one of the three games that you need for softmodding.
    Yes, follow the tutorial on softmodding.
    Then follow the tutorial on Hard Drive Changing.
    BACKUP YOUR EEPROM OR YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR XBOX LIKE I DID TO MINE!!
    (This means that you backup your "C" and "E" Drive to your computer.)
    You can go to Xbins and get the emulators from there and then go to the website gbxemu.com to get roms.(I hope this doesnt get me banned)
    :(
    Once you get your files, make a folder named "emulators" on the "E" drive of your xbox, then copy over the Emulator programs.
    Next In the "E" drive again, Make a folder called ROMS.
    Reboot xbox then the xbox should automatically detect the emulators.
    btw, choose UNLEASHX IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Evox seems too slow and clunky.

3. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

We got it working with SID 4.0 using the original Splinter Cell. Some roms won't work for some reason though (refuse to ftp).

What we are unhappy about is the fact we made a SKINS folder on E and put skins in there and evox refuses to recognize they are there. What is the problem?

The skins work for him on his evox.

EDIT
    My friend lives 40 minutes away and I somehow left my xbox cables there, wonderful!

I need to install Xbox Media Center to play anime from my comp on my xbox so I can view it on my TV:

1. How do I install XBMC?

2. How I do create the network or shared folder so my xbox can access it?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Use AID to install XBMC, use my Networking guide to show you how to share!

5. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I have to purchase a CAT5e or Ethernet Cable to FTP to my Xbox.

Does it matter what kind of Ethernet Cable (stranded, patched, etc.)?

Is it better for the cable to be shielded or not?

EDIT
    I am having trouble trying to set up my anime folder to be shared.

I want to share the folder from my slave drive, but it is telling me I have to put the folder in a shared folder on my master (C drive) and there isn't enough room for that.

I don't have a network setup, I only have my DSL. How do I setup a network?

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Buy a cheap switch!

7. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

My friend says switches are bad and they never work.

My friend wants to know if Zinc (arcade emulator that specializes in 3D) works on or has been ported to Xbox?

Any ideas as to why the evox skins aren't being recognized?
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/573699#3469111

I should buy a CAT5e Shielded Ethernet Cable right?

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Your friend is an idiot! Switches are now taking over from routers among other things, even the dirt cheap ones work flawlessly! Buy one, plug all your network devices into and then they can all communicate!

No need for shielded cable, unless of course you are in a highly electromagnetic environment and the data you are sending is Top Secret and needs to be securely transferred!

;)

9. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I'm going to setup a network like my friend did because he can explain it to me and also I am going to get a shielded cable since I have a lot of electrical devices in my room.

I believe you and are grateful for the advice.

I was able to install XBMC, sadly my xbox wouldn't recognize the program while it was in a folder in E:\Apps, but recognized the program when I put the folder contents into E:\Apps.

Maybe I should rename the folder to E:\App or E:\Applications?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  10. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Does the cable have to be CAT5 or can it be CAT6?

I'm not sure what cable to buy. I think they both have to have RJ45 ends right?

I'm running on a 100.0 Mbps DSL connection.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Either cable will work fine!

The Xbox NIC is only 100Mb so the Cat6 will slow down.

Cat5e and Cat6 are basically the same cable. The Cat 6 has more twists per meter then the Cat5e which decreases signal loss and allows higher transfer rates! This is only useful if both end devices are Gigabit enabled. They're not!

Just get whatever is cheapest, it doesn't need to be shielded, trust me!

12. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Which is best Ethernet Cable for me to use for 100.0 Mbps Modem/Router in one device to xbox:
    CAT5, CAT5e, or CAT6?

I watched the three youtube vids and read the guide in my first post for replacing the xbox HDD. I also just watched this youtube video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_UWVyGS2AkE

My questions are:
    1. The video said that if you copy over an already softmodded xbox HDD (which mine is) to the new HDD, there will be problems and you will need to re-install the softmod to the new HDD. Is this true?

2. When replacing the original xbox HDD, I should remove it from the black plastic tray and put the new HDD in the black plastic tray right?

3. What should be the jumper settings of the new HDD when it is:
    3a. In the computer?
    3b. In the xbox?

4. Should I keep the backup of both my original and new xbox HDDs on my computer?

5. Is there any steps I need to take with my new blank 250GB Seagate HDD before I begin this process?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You are VERY cautious, I like that!

1) this almost true. Most will be fine, however there is large areas of error available! I would not do this!

2) You need the plastic tray to get the HDD into the console, this is a no brainer!

3a) Master
    3b) Cable Select

4) Not really. Simply keep the original HDD safe somewhere!

5) No, just read and use my "Upgrading HDD" tutorial and you'll be sweet! Do exactly as the guide says and you can't go wrong! I have written the guide to noobs just like you!

As for you cable issue..

Chances of finding Cat5 cable are non-existent. This cable is now extinct.

Cat6 is expensive and completely of no advantage to you!

Simply buy a length of Cat5e!

;)

14. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

It is always best to work with all the information possible.

Okay so I'll buy a 25 FT CAT5e unshielded cable or whatever I can find thats the cheapest deal:
    1. Does the cable need to be UTP or Crossover (I am using a modem/router combo to xbox setup, so I think I need UTP)?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

When you go through the process listed here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/407140

2. You can create a regular unmodded xbox HDD or softmodded xbox HDD correct?

Let me check out your upgrading HDD guide here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

The Plan:
    Okay so after looking at everything, I need to FTP the softmod installer files to a memory card, then I should follow your guide and make a stock xbox HDD. Then I will install the softmod and format G:\ using UnleashX since my new HDD is 250GB.

3. My only problem is I want to use Evox, is there a way to go back to using Evox after this or can I format G:\ in Evox also?

4. Is it better to copy over an already softmodded xbox HDD or to install the softmod to a new stock xbox HDD?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

16. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

So I should buy a UTP or "Straight Through" cable right?
    I just bought a 50 FT UTP CAT5e Cable for $13.88

Is there a way to go back to using Evox after I format G:\ with UnleashX?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Change the operational dash via AID v4.10

XBMC is the best dash anyway...

18. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

My 50 FT cable just arrived, going to try to set up FTP and XBMC shared folders after a snack.

I'll use this guide here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/523607#3165659

Okay this isn't working well.

I turned off the modem/router and computer, then I plugged the 50 FT CAT5e cable into the modem/router at E2, then the xbox. I turned the computer on, turned the modem/router on, and turned the xbox on. The E2 light on my modem/router came on when I turned the xbox on.

When I went to xbox system settings, it listed two different IPs and the default gateway was wrong. So I fixed all the problems (default gateway and subnet mask match my PC, and the both listed IPs match oin the xbox) and my computer refuses to FTP to my xbox.

I tried to setup a static IP with the IP I was using and the IP you listed in your guide, and my internet stops working everytime I do it.

EDIT
    After watching a youtube video I got it working. Now I have to try to setup my first network.

EDIT2
    Okay, so I used the network setup wizard and set up a network where everyone on the network can view my shared files (I hope this is only comps hooked to my modem/router).

So I went into XBMC and it will find my network and go all the way to my anime (or any other shared) folder, but when I try to open it, it just clicks and doesn't go anywhere, what is the problem?!

I have also noticed that XBMC says I have a different IP than my dashboard does and it is quite annoying to make the IPs match on evox every time I restart the xbox.

EVERY DAM PROGRAM SAYS THE IP IS DIFFERENT!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Ok, my guide is just an example of how to get you going, it may not match your current settings!

It's quite easy to make all your devices talk, they just need to be on the same network...

eg.

If your Internet modem is currently set to 10.1.1.1, use that as a base!

Make your PC 10.1.1.3

make your Xbox 10.1.1.5

Make your router\switch 10.1.1.4

all of these should be on the 255.0.0.0 subnet.

As long as the network number matches (in this case it's 10.1.1.x) all the devices will communicate.

Static address are much easier to use because they will never change!

20. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I am on the 192.168.x.x network and I already said when I tried your static IP guide my internet stopped working (maybe I have reboot the modem?)

XBMC will read my network up to my anime folder and won't open it. I can try to make a limited user xbox and all that stuff, but I have Windows XP and it is set to easy file sharing, not complex or security (I have no security tab to edit the permissions).

"Settings for 192.168.x.x network

IP: 192.168.0.3 (My PC)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (Subnet of the network, Class C)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Give Xbox 192.168.0.5"

EDIT
    I have everything assigned by my DHCP. I made a network called xbox (maybe I should have called it by my windows username?).

I am using Winxp and I just turned the guest account on. I also disabled my firewall and anti-virus software.

Seemingly this makes no difference, XBMC still reads everything up to my anime folder (which has like 5 other folders in it) and clicks, but never opens the anime or shareddocs folder.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this really sucks.

EDIT2
    I tried refreshing and restarting the comp and xbox, also I shared and unshared the anime folder multiple times.

Then I went through my network connections and looked at my network places, I can go through the folders here. But when I try to access the folders through the network, I get this message:
    "shared folder is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

What does this mean?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007