1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ex harddrive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flameboy5, Feb 22, 2008.

1. flameboy5

flameboy5 Member

was not sure where to post this.
    i have 500gb maxtor usb harddrive that i use just for mp3 avi and pictures. i leave the internal harddrive for games and programs. in the last few days iv startied to get files on it that should not be there and i cant remove them or am warned against removing them. they are mostly thumbs,desktop,vcd and recycler and system volume information.

none of them were put in there by me as i want to keep the drive for media only.
    is this a virus or can the computer decide to put files on and drive.
    can i stop this from happening.
    have run virgin pc gaurd and avg free edition but no virus found.
    please can anyone help. thanks jason

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

These are normal Windows files. They're usually hidden, so you don't see them unless you change your folder options to display hidden files and system files.

3. flameboy5

flameboy5 Member

iv had the usb drive 6 months and never had them on that drive before. iv installed some games in the past few weeks but only on c: drive not F: drive, is there any reason why th pc is putting windows files on that drive now. have found over 30 thumbs in loads of different files on the drive.
    thanks for the reply.
    jason

4. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Like I said, this is normal. The files have been there, but you didn't see them. If you don't want to see them, then open Windows Explorer and then click on Tools and select Folder Options. From the new Folder Options window, select the View tab. Scroll down to where it says "Hidden files and folders" and select "Do not show hidden files and folder". At some point you probably selected to show the hidden files and that's why you're now seeing them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008