1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive DVD Decrypt time

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dodzy, Oct 5, 2004.

1. dodzy

dodzy Member

Hi folks,

I'm new around her but have read some super stuff across the site. Hope I'm posting this message in the correct forum. Currently using DVD decrypt and DVD shrink ( latest versions ) on a Dell P3 1ghz - 256mb PC133 momory ( please..don't laugh ) , XP SP2, Samsung DVD S616 firmware bpt1, Sony DRU530A DVD RW firmware2.1c. Anyway, to decrypt a DVD with approx running time of 173mins takes 115mins. Is that time consistent with the processor / memory mentioned ? If so, could this time be reduced by increasing the memory to 512mb ? Or is it just time to update the complete system

Thank you

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

IMO, you should be Decrypting faster. Decrypting is neither CPU nor memory intensive. You can check this out, though. Do Ctrl-Alt-Del >> Task Manager >> Performance...and you will get a real-time graph to see how CPU and memory resources are being used. Neither should be at 100%. IF CPU is lower than 15%, you might have a CPU over-heating problem causing the slowdown.

Can you tell me at what speed Decrypter is reading? It will have a number with an x behind it? Does it fluctuate while burning? What is the range? Also, you may have had a hard-to-read DVD. Keep an eye on this x read-out. Also, under Settings - Device, it is best to set the read speed to Max, unless you find this doesn't work, and then you have to find what does.

COncerning your CPU and Shrink, I am thinking that if you do Deep Analysis with something like the Sharp setting, you should get a 5 to 6 hour encode time. Without these, maybe 1 to 2 hours. It all depends on the size of the file you will be dealing with.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  3. dodzy

dodzy Member

Thanks for the reply, Doc.

I have managed to improve the Decrypt / burn times significantly by enabling DMA on drives through BIOS settings modification. Now "Current Transfer Mode" is Ultra DMA 5 and 2 on HDDs and optical drives respectively. However, Shrink encoding is slow. 1500KB/s (average) with 30MB buffered. As you suggested, I have checked CPU usage and RAM during encoding (Task Mgr / Performance . Cpu - 100% and RAM -200mb.( This only leaves 56mb .....). You also suggested that a reasonable time on a Decrypter rip may indicate a dodgy Shrink install ?????
    Maybe I will just uninstall and REinst and see if any change can be noticed.

4. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

If you were in PIO rather than DMA mode that would make a big difference. Regarding Shrink, or any other transcoder, I would advise at least another 128 MB RAM. Running at 512MB would be even better. Beyond that, the only way to decrease encode times is to get a faster processor.

5. Cosmo1111

Cosmo1111 Regular member

Yeah. It takes awhile for me aswell

Well about 30 min to encode and then 50 min to decrypt.

About 15 min to burn.

whats the adverage time?

6. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Cosmo1111...it's impossible to tell you what kind of decrypt and encode times you should be getting without knowing your CPU specs, amount of RAM, and all the software you are using. What are these?

The 15 minutes burn time, though, tells me you are probably using 4X media.

7. dodzy

dodzy Member

Thanks again Doc / Cosmo. Finally, I am running a DELL pIII 1 ghz as previously mentioned with 2 * 128MB memory. If I double existing memory ( change to 2 * 256MB modules ), would you see a noticeable improvement ?

Here in Ireland, suppliers have this beautiful way of shafting youbigtime when it comes to component purchase....

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dodzy, they do it here too! yes, increased memory will always help. I just went from 512 to 1024 and I can't believe the difference! ;>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  9. dodzy

dodzy Member

Thx bigorange. It's good to hear that others are getting ripped off also :) I was feeling rather alone in that respect ( looking at your system specifications !) By the way, don't forget to change yours to reflect the increase in memory...! and how much did it cost to put that beast together in the first place ? One Super machine.. compared to this piece of j*#k

If you live in U.K it appears you are on the pigs back so to speak . I wonder how their memory prices compare with yours...

I'm going to upgrage to 512MB and see where it takes me.....

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/results_subcat.asp?subcat=266&sort=low&title=DDR PC3200 (400)&images=1

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, done and done. BTW, the Dell wasn't half bad, under 1,000.00 with a 100.00 rebate and a very good 24/7 support team. I have to say not too shabby, well, I still haven't gotten my rebate yet.lol ;>)

Oh, one more thing, it was 120.00(includes tax and shipping) to increase the memory 512mb.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004