1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exif in Cell Phones?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by Slydoode, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Slydoode

Slydoode Member

Do cell phones keep any personal information in the Exif data of pictures? (phone number, serial number, GPS location, network, etc...)

So far from all my camera phone pics, I can't find anything. And no I'm not emailing them. I've tried Bluetooth and cable transfers (to avoid the phone stripping the Exif data)

These pics are from Motorola and Nokia. Maybe I need a proprietary reader?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

http://www.exif.org/samples/canon-ixus.html
    just googled EXIF and came up with this example of what information you can get with an EXIF file. The only personal information I see here is the name of the owner. but this is a digital camera... not a cell phone... so I don't know what personal information might be on there!

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html
    check out Exif Info Tip on bottom of page......
    EXIF InfoTip is a shell extension for Windows 2000. It provides MS Explorer with capability of displaying info tips for JPG files revealing EXIF details.
    After installing hover mouse cursor above JPG photo to bring up info tip.

maybe this is what you are looking for?!

4. Slydoode

Slydoode Member

Thanks for the help IHoe, but I have tried 10 exif viewers so far (my top ten list) and will be trying about another 20 eventually.

The thing with Exif data is that with digital cameras, they write proprietary information in the 'Maker Notes' section of the Exif (such as serial numbers) but the Exif reader needs to be programmed to read these maker notes. So far few camera companies have revealed their decoding algorithm. Canon is an exception, many of those top ten I have tried will reveal a canon serial no problem. Other brands require the company's own reader in order to view them.

So my question is... if I take a picture with a Motorola camera, will Motorola be able to get any information out of it? Or potentially someone else should they figure out how to decode Motorola Maker Notes? So far I can get things like make, model, shutter speed, aperture size, resolution etc...

in many instances if you E-mail the picture, then all Exif data is striped out. If you transfer however by USB cable, usually the Exif data is left in.

So I am wondering if anyone has read any article or has heard of anyone getting personal information from cell phone Exif data?

Thanks!

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.