1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences with CMC MAG

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kenkell, Mar 2, 2005.

1. kenkell

kenkell Member

I'm taking the suggestion of another senior member to start a thread about all of our experiences with CMC MAG discs. Please let me know what short and long term experiences you've had using dvd media with this code! I'll be the first to state that I've burned over 450 TDK 8X dvd+R with this code in a 3 month period with about a 95.5% success rate! At first I burned them at 8x with occasionally encountering some pixelation problems, so now I burn at 4x with few to no errors ever at all. I'm very happy with this media and have not encounted a dvd player they don't play in yet! Please let me know your experiences since some seem to think this is 4th class media or is very much "crap"! I tend to disagree at this time! I want to continue using this media, but want more info before continuing.
    Thanks in advance!:)

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... In my newer DVD players they seem to work just fine ... However in the older players they freeze up from time to time ... Also, upon close inspection I can see that the dye isn't spread very evenly near the outer edge ... You also need to inspect for outer edge warpage ...

3. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

My PS2 has problems playing the outer edges on these discs even with a reduced target. I have had trouble recopying some of them. I paid just a little less for a 50-pack compared to the sony's I use now and I visually see a difference in quality. With the sony's I dont have to check them because I know that the only coasters I will use are the ones my wife bought. I also think that the reason I have so much success is these forums. I probably would still be buying low quality media had a not read about them here.

4. shark29

shark29 Member

I myself have never had a problem with CMC MAG F01 4X discs by Memorex. These are of the + variety. I only use Verbatim now, but the 500 or so discs I burned using these discs nearly 2 years ago still play fine. From what I have read, many people have had problems with the CMC -R's. I have been very happy with my CMC MAG's. But then again, I have a Memorex burner, and if you check out cdfreaks.com, Memorex burners perform best using Memorex media.

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I think ithe general consensus regarding CMC MAG is the +r media is more along the lines of 2nd class media, while the -r media definitely lives up to it's nickname as 'land fill' material.

I have no experience with the +r CMC, but the CMC memorex I used way back when would give me about one playable burn for every burn that was unwatchable due to large amounts of pixelation and skipping. Out of the good burns, about 90% started to pixelate and skip heavily after about 2 months. That was out of 100 burns.