1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experimental change to forums' URL structure

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Some of you might have noticed that new discussion threads now use different URL scheme than the old threads. Old forum threads use this URL schema:

Code:
    /thread_view.cfm/123456
    or
    Code:
    /thread_view.cfm/2/123456
    (123456 being the thread's id number and in latter one, page number being 2..)

..and the new ones are in this format:

Code:
    /t.cfm/f-123/thread_title_here-123456/
    or
    Code:
    /t.cfm/f-123/thread_title_here-123456/2
    So, the URL now contains two new bits of data: the forum room id and the "URL-friendly" version of the thread's title, making the URLs hopefully bit more easier to read -- and also allows us to better utilize the log analysis in order to focus our efforts to right forum rooms.

This is just an experiment and might change at any time, but shouldn't require any action from users -- both new and old URLs will redirect users properly to the correct discussion threads.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Interesting little tweak. I will observe on larger topics how it works... unless it's transparent. I did notice a thread which always starts me on page 1 actually start on page 70 earlier.. but not since. Not that it's hard to click →last, but just wondering if something along the lines of "jump to last unread post" is somewhere in your plans.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2009
  3. dRD

Hm, you mean that you got the notification email to your inbox, clicked the link and it took you to the page 1 instead of page 70, where it was supposed to take you?

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Actually no .. it took me back to where I last read the thread. I never look at my emails, mainly because I don't have the password for the email associated with my account ;)

It made me jump because usually the main forum menu always takes me to the start of a thread... not page 70. I have so many browser instances running it may be at my end just switching across to where I was already connected in another workspace.

New error on me.. never seen this one from afterdawn before.. just reporting as it may be related. http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-41/please_help_to_sum_up_differences_between_formats_-782061/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
  5. dRD

Damn. Thanks for notifying me on this one. Managed to fix it -- quite an obvious bug I had missed -- and the fix should be online shortly.

Argh, we're not speaking the same language here now :) So, explain it to me like you'd explain it to a 5-year-old kid (that knows web development :). So, you went to the main front page of forums (i.e. the http://forums.afterdawn.com/ page), right? And clicked some thread title there? And clicking that title took you to the page 70 of that thread? Right? Or...?

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Exactly .. Main front page link to thread took me to page 70 of the incoherent award thread in the safety valve. Only once though.. it hasn't done it since. :)

I thought I would mention it because it was unusual... and you are playing with the way things link. ;)

7. dRD

Okidok, thanks. Need to monitor it carefully if it occurs again, as it is supposed to link to the first page, always. "Jump to last post" type of shortcut is something that I'm planning to implement in future.

8. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

10. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

This has been fixed now. The problem was unrelated to the URL change at the forums. I fixed a small problem in the news commentary system, which in turn caused a new problem with posting new comments. Doh.

Sorry about the inconvenience, and thank you for reporting the problem!

11. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

No problem, now i can get back to making other members lives as miserable as possible.

Thankyou

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

this thread which can only be seen by mods & above is shown on right side when looking at the forums but does not appear when going into that forum ipod discussion. when i go into that thread thru the right side it shows what forum it is in. the reason addicts & below can't see this thread is that it is hidden because of spam. http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f...er_transfer_computer_to_ipod_transfer-783247/