1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experimenting with the read speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 3ways, Jan 20, 2004.

1. 3ways

3ways Guest

Hi there, i recently purchased a plexor px708uf writer, which so far i'm very pleased with, copied about 12 dvds so far with no problems and very quickly. I've been holding the the eject button in b4 inserting a disc to increase the read speed which works a treat. My question is though, that b4 i begin to muck around with the times myself, does reading this at a much quicker speed effect the final quality of the dvd, and life-time of my writer??

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In my experience the read speed won't affect the quality, though others with more experience than I may take exception to this. Higher read speeds will put more wear and tear on your 708.

If you have the free space a $30 DVD-ROM will give you higher read speeds and save the wear and tear on your burner.

DVD Info Pro is a great freeware utility that lets you test the read speed and accuracy of your drive as well as a myriad of other goodies that are quite useful.

Reading the same DVD, here are some numbers:

PX-708A: Top 11.02X/ Avg 8.09X/ Elapsed 6:18

LTD-166S: Top 14.15X/ Avg 10.68X/ Elapsed 4:46
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Browning Hi-Power[/small]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004