1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Experts needed on DVD --> SVCD ***

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Rotary, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Hi all

Can any of you experts on dvd to svcd tell me what the best program is i can use?

Aslo if you could piont out anything that i may stumble over in the process of dvd to svcd backing up.

Thank you in advance!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I find the Easiest way to Backup a DVD to SVCD and the Second best way Quality wize is to Use "Smartripper" to Rip the DVD to your Hard drive ,The use "DVD2AVI 1.76" to Make a D2V Frame server file and to decode the DVD audio to Wav format, then use Tmpgenc to encode the D2V file and the Wav audio file to SVCD..This is the Standard Method used By Most poeple who have been useing Tmpgenc to Backup DVD"s to SVCD, I personally use CCE as the encoder and AVISynth to frameserve But this is a Little to Advanced for most poeple...You can also Try a Program called "DVD2SVCD" it automates the Proscess of Backing up a DVD to SVCD and does a Pretty Good Job But you don"t get to learn anything about Digital Video useing a Program this that Cuz it does everything for you....If you go to "http://www.dvdrhelp.com/" they should have a Guide on how to backup a DVD to SVCD useing the Software I mentioned above....Cheers

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

thank you for your help! i can see what you are saying about the learning as this is my first time doing this! i did use DVD2SVCD but its not my first time useing some of the programs mentioned so i am getting familiar with the names used, if i tell you how far i got can you guide me from here? here is a pic of the folder it all happened in and can you tell me what files i have to burn now to get the SVCD! as from what i can see i dont need all files?

so i need to know in nero what settings and how to go about this burn process!

[​IMG]

if you could let me know the only files i need that would be a start!

Thx...

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can"t be Serious?? You don"t know what files that your SVCD is??? well You should Know that "Mpg" Files are what SVCD"s are so you burn the "BBMpeg Muxed File00.mpg" and ""BBMpeg Muxed File01.mpg" to CD-R as a SVCD... you can"t just burn the Files to CD-R as Data Files they have to be burned in SVCD format with a Program that supports Burning SVCD"s Like Nero...Cheers

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

i did think those! but wasnt sure if there should be more files added, so only the 2 big files needed! ok,

so in nero will i need to rename the mpegs? as the name seems long? for juiet/iso19660 format ?

have a look at this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thx...__X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2003
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What are you trying to burn them too? Look at the size of both the files. They both will not fit on one CDR and could be the reason why Nero isnt going to let you burn them. Have you done the conversion to SVCD? It should take a few hours.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there oriphus!

its ok i got it wrong this is it! and i only burn one file at a time ithink! LOL...

[​IMG]

also look at the bar in nero for first cdr! its at 700mb will this be ok? as i didnt set size dvd2svcd did! 80mins!

[​IMG]

do i just burn and see?

Thx...

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

Sorry oriphus, yes i did do conversion! it took about 3/4 hours on 2 VBR pass rate! it said 4=24 hours and 3=5/7 hours so first time i put 2 pass vbr to see what its like!

Thx...

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It should be ok. I watched an SVCD on 32" tv with no problems. The size is fine if you have 700MB CD's.

P.S. - if you know how to create CUE files to match a BIN, let me know ;-)

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

it wouldnt let me burn! i had to overburn its doing it now! first time i have used overburn i set it to 81min instaed of 80min! hope it will cope my liteon?

do you know where i can find something to tell me if my burner supports overburn?

also on your subject poxt in CDR furom shoey is the guy for that a MOD up there!

Thx...
    but doesnt CDMAGE do it?

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ok, cheers.

Overburning should be fine. It may result in the last minute or two of hte discs being incomplete but generally that will be where the credits are during a movie ;-)

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

Well i have a svcd now!

But the video is choppy! it stop starts? adio seems ok?

ANY ADVICE ON THIS !!!!!!

also should it play in MEDIA PLAYER as it does not only in powervdvd player?

OR IS THIS SETTING WRONG ????? or do i need to do a 3 VBR pass rate?

[​IMG]

Thx..__X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2003
  13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Your setting is fine. Did you get an entire movie onto one disc? When i did my 2 hour long movie it took four CD's to get it onto SVCD.

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

it was on 2 cdrs i only burnt first as it sucked so didnt burn second! i think? its was 1.3 hour long? do you use dvd2svcd oriphus? and how many pass vbr setting did you use? how long to get mpegs too?

THx...DAM STUCK NOW NEED HELP

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I encoded with Nero just and it took about 6-8 hours. DVD2SVCD is supposed to be good, i havent used it.

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

so you used nero? did you just put the dvd in then make a svcd ?? thats it?

Thx...

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, i converted it to DivX using EasyDivX first. The i got bored watching it on the computer and converted it to SVCD.

18. Minion

Minion Senior member

Choppy Playback on SVCD"s is Ususally due to the DVD Player Not being able to handle the Bitrate...The DVD Player can"t spin the Disk Fast enough to Read it in Real time so you get Choppy playback...If you used a VBR encodeing Method then Try Useing a CBR Encodeing Method, and if you are useing a Higher than Standard Bitrate then Don"t...I noticed encoders like Tmpgenc have really bad bitrate controll so you can set the Bitrate what ever you want and tmpgenc will allways Spike much higher than the max you set, This is the Main reason i don"t use Tmpgenc anymore.....Cheers

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

I tried the disc straight after burn in powerdvd on the pc! the stop start video happened then! so i rebooted the pc (cleared ram etc...) and VIOLA!! perfect first time SVCD !!!

also works great on standalone and lip sync is spot on! it took say 3/4 hours to get files then say 15 mins to burn! excellant

VERY HAPPY !!

Now i will use VBR 3 PASS instaed of 2 PASS see the quality differences?

Thx all...._X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  20. koola

koola Guest

Are we going backwards here?

I thought DVD was the new thing lol.

The best way of converting DVD to SVCD is to look in the guides section here at AD!