1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explorer Crashes

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DJ_Yuz, Dec 10, 2004.

1. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

While browsing sites today, IE suddenly crashed for no reason. When I try to open Explorer or IE, it will automatically crash--no error message, no warning, just instantaneous crashing. This has happened to me before, I removed it just about a month ago by reformatting, which was a pain.

I've searched for help on this and read many "solutions"--but most are centered around Explorer crashing when you view certain folders, avis, jpgs, etc. Mine just crashes when you open ANYTHING. Can anyone help me diagnose what the problem might be?

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Hmm, not really sure there DJ. Sounds like something maybe got corrupted. Although, I'm no expert so don't take my advice religiously. I'd say if you are content with keeping IE, go to microsoft's site and make sure you have the latest update for IE.

Albeit, if you don't need IE in paticular, go get firefox. MUCH better browser in my opinion. Neat pop up blocker built in, tabbed pages. Really cool.

Sorry if I was no help, but if you really don't need IE for some specific reason (online classes, etc.), I'd recommend switching to firefox.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2004
  3. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

My problem isnt strictly IE; a friend actually sent me Opera so that's what I'm using to post right now. My main problem lies in the fact that when I open any folder, it crashes. This makes it extremely difficult to navigate, as I need to access any files I need through the "run" prompt.

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Ohhhh I'm sorry, I completely misread your post. I didn't see the part about explorer also crashing.

I would only assume that some important windows files got corrupted somehow. Maybe a virus? I'm not sure. I've only really had problems like that back in Win 95/98. With XP I've gotten explorer crashing and reloading once or twice, but never a continuous crashing like you're describing.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you checked for spyware & viruses

6. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

Ran Adaware, came up with a few things, but removing them made no difference. Unable to save torrents with Opera apparently, so I havent downloaded any antivirus progs. Can anyone suggest a good antivirus prog, in that case? I might as well give it a try.

7. ddp

avg7(free version) from www.grisoft.com, got it on my machine. also do an online scan with www.antivirus.com

8. Tobe

Tobe Member

Actually, I struggle with the exact same problem.
    Each time I try to open explorer the system crashes or when using ie it crashes randomly.
    What I have done so far is scanning the system using, AVG (grisoft), eTrust, spyware, ad-aware, and my problem is still there. A month ago AVG found a trojan horse called " startpage.12.v ", which was removed. However I suspect, that this might still be causing the problem. I have not found any details on this specific trojan on the web, so I don't where to go from here.
    Additionally, I made sure that the computer was not heated, but the problem remains.
    If you come up with a solution or an idea where to go from here I am very anxious to hear.
    Best regards, Tobe.

9. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'd also like to add to this another theory. If you guys have checked for spyware or virus' and did just about everything else thinkable and explorer is still crashing and reloading, then I might have a solution (sort of), or at least it's another lead that might help you out.

I noticed that when I'm either too high overclocked, or running too hot, explorer and various programs just crash to the desktop. Well, the programs crash to the desktop, explorer reloads itself and basically restarts windows.

This also could be due to a weak link in your Power Supply. I also noticed when I'm running weak on my +12V rail that explorer crashes frequently and windows reloads.

It's very unlikely that this is the case seeing as you guys probably don't overclock and that you may have a nice PSU (power supply unit) but it's always an idea to take into account. Can't count everything out.

10. djretard

djretard Guest

hi
    i had the same thing happen to last year and lost more then my internet link i lost it all but that was then and this is now go with oprea 7 or netscape.
    while there still free!! OPREA has its own dlm,chat and you dont have to farm anything out and netscape is the same now but these are my choices it is up to you to pick good luck .

and if i can help in anyway drop me a line at headrtrd@netscape.net
    DjRetard (rtg 2002)

11. ddp

no posting email address as could get spammed & possible forum violation