1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extended encoding/burning times

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by honeyboy, Nov 25, 2004.

1. honeyboy

honeyboy Member

Hi,
    I am new to dvd shrink. I used dvd x copy for years with great success. It used to take an hour, maybe 1.5 hours at the most to burn a movie. I used dvd shrink for the first time and it took 5.5 hours!!! I went to work in the am, came home for lunch and the dvd reader drive was still hammering away! It can't be good for the drive to work for hours at a time.

Am I doing something wrong? The disk did turn out fine but 5.5 hours in unacceptable.

I have a new Dell media center edition pc 3.o mhz processor and 1 gig ram. This thing should smoke!

Any suggustions?

Thanks

Hb

2. Manobeer

Manobeer Member

If you are doing some heavy compresion it will slow it down.

But not that much, I have a slower pc than yours and it annoys me when all of a sudden it started taking about 45 mins to rip a movie. It used to rip them in about 15-20.

I read a thread here where they advised to remove the drive(just in system manager) and restart the pc to let windows reinstall it. I actually uninstalled both drives on my secondary ide and the secondary IDE itself. Bamm started ripping like it used to.

I usually do movie only with little or NO compresion.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there honeyboy, welcome to aD,

XCopy can't do a Deep analysis or a quality enhancement as you are doing therefore the difference in time. 5.5 hours would probably be to the fact that you're running your drives in a PIO mode rather than the DMA mode. That will bring your time down to a bit over 2 hours for a really good backup, far better than XCopy could ever provide).

There may be other factors but the 2 I mentioned are most likely the problem. -

Let's check your drives transfer mode, Okie, Dokie ?

We need to check your DMA. "Ooohh, no you're not ! Only my husband or my Doctor checks my "D", "M" . . whatever . . ." No, no, it's OK, DMA stands for "Direct Memory Access" transfer mode OR as we say in the computer field, it's a really, fast way to move stuff. Many PC's today are using UDMA or "Ultra Direct Memory Access transfer mode, or as we like to call it, a really super-duper fast way to move stuff as opposed to the PIO mode. The PIO or Programmed I/O mode, is a technique whereby the system CPU and support hardware directly control the transfer of data between the system and the hard disk since shortly after the beginning of PC's up until the mid-1990's. So we want DMA (fast) more than we PIO (slow).

3. Let's check your Drive's transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving six CRC errors and drops it down to the much slower PIO mode.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

OPTION: Right-click the burner and select "Uninstall" and then "OK" all prompts until the PC reboots. Upon rebooting, the PC should "find" your burner and reinstall it setting it by "Default" to DMA.

Lastly, when did you last defrag your Hard Drive (HD) ? If you have to stop and think about the last time you did it, then it's way, way overdue. Here we go, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. When it opens, choose your HD, analyses it to see where we stand then if you need it (you probably will) choose Defragment.).

After you finish doing it now you might want to think about having "Scheduled Tasks" in your Control Panel do it for you on a daily basis.

A fragmented HD not only drastically slows down your system but it can cause all number of things to happen inside your PC, a messed up burn being one of them.

Cheers,

Pete

Now let's see if everything will work together the way we want it to, OK ?

Give it a test run and let us know how you make out -

4. honeyboy

honeyboy Member

Ahoy, Scuba Pete! Spakle my snorkle! I uninstalled/reinstalled the dvd drives and my burn time went from 5.5 hours to 47 minutes!

Thanks for the help.....U da Man!

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, heh - it does pay off doesn't it :)

Hey, we're glad you're burning up a storm :)
    Consider this an invitation, stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -

You can just "Hang out" and read some, improve your knowledge, help others if you can spot their problem, 3 heads are better than 2 (said the Cyclops to the Ogre) Or you could hang out in the "Safety Valve," a forum for gossiping about anything and everything under the sun :)

Check de place out, you just might find a little something that'll interest you -

Me ? Hey, I'll be over there, out from under that broiling hot sun, under the "Potted" Palm, right next to the water cooler. Just chewin' the fat and waiting for the next Newbie who needs a bit "O" help - Stop by and say "Howdy" -

I'll be lQQking forward to Sea'n you,

Cheers my friend,

Pete :p)

6. honeyboy

honeyboy Member

Ahoy! Pete! Are you out there? I have another question for you please.

I just installed a NEC 3500A burner in my Dell. It is a multi format burner. I tried to burn my first disk and it started to burn at 2x. The drive is capable of 16x with dvd -R media. I have 8x media. How can I adjust the burn speed in DVD Shrink to take advantage of the 8x burn speed of the drive and the media? My old external Sony drive burned at 2x. Is it stuck on the default of the old drive?

In addition......my demo copy of Nero expired. Is there a freeware Nero burning rom that will work with Shrink? If so, do you know where I can obtain it?

Thanks very much.

Mason

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Honeyboy,
    I know Im not Pete but I believe I can answer your question.
    In DVD Shrink once you have clicked "Backup" Click on the tab at the far right that says "Burn Settings" and select your burn speed. I would reccomend leaving it x4 or slower for quality back ups though.
    If your looking for a free burning program to use with shrink try DVD Decrypter. There is no "Freeware Nero"
    V/R,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Mason,

As DVD Shrink doesn't have a burner, you can't.

The burners that work with DVD Shrink are Nero, DVD Decrypter and CopyToDVD which all have burn settings. Set whatever one you're using to what you want BUT when burning over 4X expect coasters. If you have questions about this, search our forum's threads for all the trouble pple have had.

(It seems that while I'm typing, bbmayo has been posting - shame on me for being so slow (Lol) :)

Like he said about Nero and DVD Decrypter ~ Ditto ~

"Cleanly uninstall" Nero then reinstall it again for another 30-days

(again, look to our forum threads for doing a "Clean uninstall" for Nero OR checkpout Nero's site -

Cheers,

Pete

9. honeyboy

honeyboy Member

Ok, I am starting to get this more in focus....but not much........So, I seems that dvd decrypter rips the dvd to disk as an ISO (?) file, a huge original sized file. It can then burn file but there is a good chance the file will be too large to fit on a dvd..This is where dvd shrink comes into play. This program appears to compress the file then burn it with Nero.

Shrink rips the files to disk as multiple files that Nero burns. But when trying to open an ISO file created by decrypter, to shrink it to a size that will fit on a dvd, Shrink does not recognize this ISO format file.

How do I get Shrink to recognize and compress an ISO file produced by decrypter? In addition, how do I go in reverse and have decryper burn the compressed, multifile shrink files, if I want to burn them with decrypter and not Nero?

I hope this was clear and I posted in the right forum.

Thanks

Mason

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're getting there -

To get DVD Shrink to recongize the ISO image, Go to "File" then select "Open image file" and browse for your ISO image.

As far as your settings, use those in a guide -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Enjoy,

Pete

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You kind of got the jist of it but not quit..
    DVD Shrink - Rips - Authors - Compress's
    DVD Decrypter - Rips - Somewhat Authors - Burns ISO only
    Nero - Author with Recode or NVE - Burns

So now do you understand your options? You could go at it this way.
    1. DVD Shrink - Nero
    2. DVD Decrypter ISO mode - Shrink - Decrypter
    3. Decrypter file mode - Shrink - Nero
    4. Decrypter file mode - Nero Recode - Nero
    5. Shrink - Nero Recode - Nero
    and so on.. You see there are many combinations you can use but you need one that rips (takes CSS incryption off the disk) one that will compress or reauthor the movie to fit onto one DVD5 disk, and lastly one to burn the disk. The easiest way for you to start out would be the 1st method using DVD Shrink with Nero. There are guides on AD that tell you how to do all of this. Yes Shrink will open an ISO created by Decrypter go to "File" and "Open Disk Image"

Hope this explains a little better for you,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok you beat me to the punch that time Pete ;-)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The only thing we disagree on is -

For a starter recipe, I recommend:

DVD Shrink - to rip, edit (if desired)

Then DVD Decrypter to burn.

Rational:

1. Both are free
    2. At some time you'll need DVD Decrypter for a rip that DVD Shrink can't handle so you might as well have that to start.
    3. It's easier to get a good burn with DVD Decrypter as Nero has some conflicts with other proggys i.e. Roxio. So many PC's come with Roxio "bundled" that the reward (a successful backup) is sooner coming than with Nero. A Newbie starting with Nero has to worry about what to do when the trial period ends.
    4. When a Newbie masters DVD Shrink / DVD Decrypter, he can experiment with Nero and CopyToDVD but has 1 recipe that we know works to always "Fall back" on at any time.

Of course it's only my opinion.

Cheers,

Pete

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You are right Pete, makes sense. However honeyboy says he already has Nero installed and he really wouldnt even realize he is using Nero as Shrink would be the only proggy he has to open and use. I just find this a little easier for people just starting out. The less to do the less that can be messed up! All your points are valid ones too though so I would say go with what ever you feel comfortable with. Pete just want you to know I value your opinion :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

14. we2wantu

we2wantu Member

Hi guys, new kid (well an old git really lol) posting on the block.
    Have been reading this thread with interest as I have the same problem, slow encoding and burning, checked my DMA and it was PIO only so did the uninstal thingy and everything was great for a while. The problem is my DMA has reverted to PIO only and I can't change it back, what the bloody hell do I do now? Uninstal again!!!!

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy there we2wantu, welcome aboard,

In a word, Yep !

Your drive running in DMA mode reverts back to PIO when you have sustained 6 errors in it's operatiron. What we have to do is find out where your errors are coming from. What media are you using ?

Pete

bbmayo, for honeyboy, you are correct, it's a better choice BUT for 99% of everyone else, DVD Decrypter seems a better choice as once it has been set to "Mode", ISO, "write" - like Nero, it doesn't have to be opened to work.

Also, like Nero (which doesn't have to be pre-set) CopyToDVD is as good as well.

As they say, there different flavors of ice cream because everyone likes something different. If the truth be told, I like CopyToDVD better because it's so much faster than the other two - and "de ScubaPete" loves ta go fast, don't ya know ?

Man, they sure have a lot of choices. I remember when the only choice was none - it was Nero OR nothing automatic. Now-a-days, all 3 are up for grabs. What a world are we living in, say Whot ?

Cheers,

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I use CopyToDVD also and would have to agree much faster and not so buggy :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

17. we2wantu

we2wantu Member

Hi ScubaPete and thanks for taking the turn with this here newbie.
    Not much of a techie here but I hope this is what you need.
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    2.00 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
    60 GB HD
    Samsung DVD+R/RW Writemaster
    Using DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero 6 Ultra Edition.

Incidently I have tried uninstalling again but it stays on PIO Mode unless I'm not doing it right cos I don't get any prompts and have to reboot manually. Am I just tooooooooooo slow? lol.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Here we go from beginning to end -

We need to check your DMA. "Ooohh, no you're not ! Only my husband or my Doctor checks my "D", "M" . . whatever . . ." No, no, it's OK, DMA stands for "Direct Memory Access" transfer mode OR as we say in the computer field, it's a really, fast way to move stuff. Many PC's today are using UDMA or "Ultra Direct Memory Access transfer mode, or as we like to call it, a really super-duper fast way to move stuff as opposed to the PIO mode. The PIO or Programmed I/O mode, is a technique whereby the system CPU and support hardware directly control the transfer of data between the system and the hard disk since shortly after the beginning of PC's up until the mid-1990's. So we want DMA (fast) more than we PIO (slow).

3. Let's check your Drive's transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving six CRC errors and drops it down to the much slower PIO mode.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

OPTION: Right-click the burner and select "Uninstall" and then "OK" all prompts until the PC reboots. Upon rebooting, the PC should "find" your burner and reinstall it setting it by "Default" to DMA.

Lastly, when did you last defrag your Hard Drive (HD) ? If you have to stop and think about the last time you did it, then it's way, way overdue. Here we go, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. When it opens, choose your HD, analyses it to see where we stand then if you need it (you probably will) choose Defragment.).

After you finish doing it now you might want to think about having "Scheduled Tasks" in your Control Panel do it for you on a daily basis.

A fragmented HD not only drastically slows down your system but it can cause all number of things to happen inside your PC, a messed up burn being one of them.

Cheers,

Pete

Let me know how you make out now -

19. we2wantu

we2wantu Member

Thanks for the reply, been avidly reading these forums to try and solve my woes. I have downloaded DVD Decrypter and printed off your excellent fools guide and now use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.
    After several coasters and encounting the DMA issue several times I reduced the write speed to x4 and all seems well so far, except when I try and shrink and burn The Scorpion King, can't seem to get that one even when I dropped the speed down to x2.
    I defrag my hard drive at least every 2 or 3 days.
    Last night I updated my ide drivers to the latest version so hopefully that is now more stable.
    The one thing I have yet to try from your guide is better quality DVD blank media, I think the ones I have are a little on the cheap side.
    Once again thank you for your help and I will continue to read these excellent forums.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

we2wantu,

Poor media can cause a whole host of problems.

I don't see where you're having trouble with your last DVD. If it's during the encoding then we can look into different PC conflicts BUT If it's during the burning phase, then you might want to move your change of media to a more prominent role as it can cause so many difficulties you may wish to stop trying to burn it until your media gets in -

Cheers,